Options

Moving from windows to mac best way to transfer iTunes over?

anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I currently have a windows based computer where my iTunes library is held. I am purchasing a new MacBook Pro shortly and want to know what is the best way for me to transfer the libraries over.

I have an iPod Classic, and run iTunes at present on a windows based iTunes, I am subscribed to iCloud and have the subscription for match as well. and my library consists of music, films, podcast.

Some of my stuff is bought from iTunes but a lot are old cd''so, so I would prefer not to have to load them again.

I do not have an external hard drive that I could use so is there any way to use what I have to transfer over without a tonne of back up discs ( that's if you can still copy to disc on iTunes) Is there any way to push the stuff via match to put the music onto the hard drive of the new mac? Or can the iPod itself be used to transfer. Will it work for both purchased and non purchased products?

Many thanks
Anna

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both computers are connected to the same network (ie your broadband router) then it is perfectly possible to get the Macbook to connect to the PC and grab the files directly over the network.

There is a guide here (with lots of pictures :))

http://lifehacker.com/247148/how-to-mount-a-windows-shared-folder-on-your-mac
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Where are you getting the MAc from?

If it's an Apple store ask them how to do it and they'll probably do it for you. They did with mine.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just use 'Migration Assistant' when you get your new Mac, thats whats the program is for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »

If it's an Apple store ask them how to do it and they'll probably do it for you. They did with mine.

I am ordering it from apples online store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This describes various ways to copy your iTunes library.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

The Migration Assistant method is probably the option to use

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4796
  • Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    when I transferred mine from a Windows PC
    I just dragged the Music folder which contains the iTunes folder, Photo and Video folders if you have any photos and videos that were in my profile on to a usb drive.
    Install NTFS for Mac OSX extension. then drag the Music folder and what other folders you dragged on the usb drive onto your Mac and opened iTunes. All my music,Apps,Photos were in iTunes on the Mac
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »

Yeah but don't you have to pay for One to One before they can do a data transfer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Batman- wrote: »
    when I transferred mine from a Windows PC
    I just dragged the Music folder which contains the iTunes folder, Photo and Video folders if you have any photos and videos that were in my profile on to a usb drive.
    Install NTFS for Mac OSX extension. then drag the Music folder and what other folders you dragged on the usb drive onto your Mac and opened iTunes. All my music,Apps,Photos were in iTunes on the Mac
    You don't need the NTFS extension to read an NTFS drive on a Mac. You only need it to write to the drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it