Forum Member
✭✭✭
On most of the front pages tomorrow.
Its a horrendous disease :(

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news. A horrible disease to afflict anyone. Prunella is a wonderful actress.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    A truly hideous disease and as cruel for friends and loved ones.

Having watched two grandparents live and die with this disease, I can only hope she has an excellent support network surrounding her.
  • Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I'm a careworker and take a lady to a Alzheimer's day centre. She's repeats to me "Am I losing my memory?" Are the people at the day centre, the same as me?" Very sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What deeply sad news. I've grown up watching her on the small screen, she is an icon as far as I'm concerned. I hope she's being looked after, but how devastating for her loved ones. :(
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    So sad to hear this. My mum is showing early signs. You try to ignore it but can't.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a rather unflattering (Daily Mail) article about her condition some time ago. She and the late Richard Briers were promoting the release of a DVD of some work/ a series they'd done together in the past and the article kept making reference to her memory loss and seemingly odd behaviour during the interview. IIRC, people were commenting that it was a bit unfair to her and Briers, the way they were portrayed.

Am sorry it seems to have progressed a little but she looks amazing at 81 and remains physically active. Wonderful actress as is her hubby, Tim West- and their offspring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    There was a rather unflattering (Daily Mail) article

I shouldn't be surprised.

That rag is by far THE most disgusting piece of crap in the history of the world, ever.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really saddened to hear this news. I love Prunella Scales, Sybil Fawlty is one of my all time favourite TV characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sybil Fawlty is one of my all time favourite TV characters.

Mine too. Her constant nagging at Basil is my favourite aspect of the series.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Sad news and pretty disgusting to have it all over the front of newspapers. Surely she's entitled to a bit of dignity and respect; and her family are entitled to deal with this in privacy.
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news and pretty disgusting to have it all over the front of newspapers. Surely she's entitled to a bit of dignity and respect; and her family are entitled to deal with this in privacy.

It's in the papers because her and her husband have made a TV programme about travelling on canals and how it helps with Prunella's condition.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    sueh21 wrote: »
    It's in the papers because her and her husband have made a TV programme about travelling on canals and how it helps with Prunella's condition.

Oh, well that's different. I got the impression from the OP that it was being treated as some kind of sensational scoop. Still very sad, though.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, Tim West has become an ambassador for an Alzheimers research charity and, with their upcoming canals documentary, this press release has probably been suitably timed and more under the couple's control. Brave of them to allow themselves to be seen as vulnerable in this way -as someone who is affected but trying to get the best out of life and their relationship with her spouse/ carer. I hope the outcome helps them achieve what they want to. It's good that they are using their profiles to address something which affects so many people who don't have the platform they have.

My mum doesn't have Alzheimers but, as a woman approaching 70, she has experienced very severe mental illness in recent years and, as the person closest to her I find it really tough, sometimes. It can be devastating for the sufferer and the people who love and care for them. Seeing someone losing pieces of themselves when they have previously achieved so much is heartbreaking. It is, however, great to see that good things can still be achieved, which is what Prunella and Tim seem to be trying to do in their private and public lives.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really saddened to hear this news. I love Prunella Scales, Sybil Fawlty is one of my all time favourite TV characters.

Me, too.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was funny in Fawlty Towers when she wound Basil up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Also, Tim West has become an ambassador for an Alzheimers research charity and, with their upcoming canals documentary, this press release has probably been suitably timed and more under the couple's control. Brave of them to allow themselves to be seen as vulnerable in this way -as someone who is affected but trying to get the best out of life and their relationship with her spouse/ carer. I hope the outcome helps them achieve what they want to. It's good that they are using their profiles to address something which affects so many people who don't have the platform they have.

I agree, very brave of them to put themselves out there like that. I wish them the best in the world. :)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to have been an open secret in showbiz for a very long time. Sad they have to announce it officially. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad they have to announce it officially. :(

Hopefully announcing it will help them in some way.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news. Prunella is a wonderful actress. Wishing her and Timothy well.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's so sad. Man. Life is so hard sometimes.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those of you in the ITV Central region (& those of you who may have seen the Discovery (I think) showings later!) may remember a Tim narrated series called 'Waterworld'.

Did he appear in vision at any point?

(The sis in law's parents appeared in the one episode with their converted for disabled use boat!)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible disease that affects some members of my family.

One of my biggest worries in live is that I'll contract this and not be able to look after myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible disease that affects some members of my family.

One of my biggest worries in live is that I'll contract this and not be able to look after myself.

I watched a few of my elder relatives fall victim to this disease. No one knows the true horrors of it unless you experience it through a loved one.

I'm not scared of getting old as long as my mental health is manageable. The thought of getting dementia is terrifying beyond comprehension.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a wonderful 4 part programme with them both starting on Monday on More4.

To celebrate their golden wedding anniversary, actors Timothy West and Prunella Scales embark on four spectacular canal journeys, sharing a passion that they've enjoyed for decades.

Timothy said its really good for her as it doesn't matter if she forgets things when she's on the barge, she loves it so much. :)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys/episode-guide
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    There is a wonderful 4 part programme with them both starting on Monday on More4.

To celebrate their golden wedding anniversary, actors Timothy West and Prunella Scales embark on four spectacular canal journeys, sharing a passion that they've enjoyed for decades.

Timothy said its really good for her as it doesn't matter if she forgets things when she's on the barge, she loves it so much. :)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys/episode-guide

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a really nice programme. I will watch. :)