Options

ASMR..Autonomous sensory meridian response

Comments

• Options
    gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Come onnn ;-), she's blatantly simply being sexy in the way she uses her eyes, the constant smiles, the slow stroking movement of the hands, that's not necessary to induce ASMR, but probably why her viewcount is in the millions.

she is being sexy, that is one of the reasons the asmr does not work for me, as I do find her sexy !!

Going to try Bob Ross later, nothing sexy for me there !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASMR isn't sexual or linked to sexuality in any way and children experience it. You don't suddenly start experiencing it, you have it all your life and only realise what it is once you come across the term ASMR.

I used to get it when I went to the doctor, opticians and dentist and could never understand why nobody else actually enjoyed medical appointments. I first came across the term ASMR, and realised that not everybody gets it, when I was a teenager. It was a god send because I had amnesia at the time and the videos were the only thing that got me to sleep.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be odd because I hate the sound of whispering.
    It has almost the opposite effect on me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I just always said that something made me feel warm and fuzzy, people seemed to know what I meant. I didn't realise that this wasn't the norm for everyone and am now worried about many times I've sounded like a right twonk. But it's more buzzy than orgasmic, I never thought of it as anything orgasmic or remotely sexual.

Someone said people's emotions are a trigger, I get that too but it's hard to explain. It's almost when a bonding thing has happened. That's interesting because I read somewhere that some scientist thinks it about the whole ape grooming thing.

I didn't mean it was very close to it or even sexual, but just used the word 'orgasmic' in a very loose sense.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    There have been a few GD threads on ASMR over the last year.
    I've always 'got it' - usually from watching someone do something very intricate and well practiced. To describe the sensation, I'd say it's very much like the late stages of being stoned - a physically detached feeling, with a numbing sensation from the top of the head to the base of the back, even 'tingling' sounds too vigorous. It's like falling asleep with your eyes open.

Music-wise I always direct people to 'Substrata' by Biosphere - music, even Ambient, seldom works for me but this album is an exception. Lots of 'trigger' passages in it, from the sounds of sunset in the opening, to the 'packing up the tapes' sounds in the studio later on. Then there's all the samples of the 'giant' from Twin Peaks(*)...

(*) Those, and the studio sounds at the end, in the track 'The Things I tell you' from 13:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E

If you were to seek the CD, go for the remastered 2CD edition (called Substrata 2).

It goes without saying, decent headphones are essential, unless you want to lie down between your speakers. Shouldn't be too loud either.

For me it started off nice and relaxing but then I got edgy, fidgety and Anxious as it went on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I must be odd because I hate the sound of whispering.
    It has almost the opposite effect on me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Most of us have a noise that is irritating to us. To the point we cannot even think right once we are hearing it. So no not odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do those that dont get it , always think its a sexual thing !!!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Yes me too. I thought it was just me though. I'm very affected by a atmosphere in someone's home. More bad than good though.

Music yes but mainly love type songs.
    Lighthouse family always affected me a lot.

anything musical can get me, rhythm, pitch or timbre and live performances are almost certain.

emotion is more random.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gingerjack wrote: »
    Why do those that dont get it , always think its a sexual thing !!!
    They don't! I do get it, but the videos of that Russian lady are obviously sexual as well as creating calming sounds/talking etc.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It helps me to sleep ive been listening to ASMR videos for years! theres thousands of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    They don't! I do get it, but the videos of that Russian lady are obviously sexual as well as creating calming sounds/talking etc.

I dont think it is sexual, you think it is, as she is obviously sexy to you.

But the way they talk,touch,look at the camera are all part of what they do. For you its sexual for me its relaxing. :)
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    One of them on youtube is some blonde woman and she makes me dead horny but also relaxed at same time, its a really weird feeling! I fall asleep with a hard on but get tingles all over my head. Mad feeling :D
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confused as to what this is. Is this the feeling you get when you get a warm tingling that starts in the back of your neck and goes up the back of your head with a kind of shivery goosebumpy feeling?

If so I get this from certain music.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    One of them on youtube is some blonde woman and she makes me dead horny but also relaxed at same time, its a really weird feeling! I fall asleep with a hard on but get tingles all over my head. Mad feeling :D

Thanks for that...xD

What the majority of these videos seem to be doing is replacing closeness with a partner.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Confused as to what this is. Is this the feeling you get when you get a warm tingling that starts in the back of your neck and goes up the back of your head with a kind of shivery goosebumpy feeling?

If so I get this from certain music.

I'd say no, that's what I think people call a 'frisson', an emotional response, though I think ASMR could include it, but doesn't necessarily.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    I'd say no, that's what I think people call a 'frisson', an emotional response, though I think ASMR could include it, but doesn't necessarily.

Ah right. I was thinking of that feeling you get when it's like your hairs on your neck standing on end when you hear an emotional piece of music and it's like a warm tingley feeling that goes to the top of your head making you feel a bit warm and light headed. Not the same thing then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that...xD

What the majority of these videos seem to be doing is replacing closeness with a partner.

You really think that :confused: I just find them very relaxing.. Well the ones that appeal to me.
    I cant even tell you one word that was said on the one that I fell asleep listening to. Just a very deep relaxing refreshing sleep.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right. I was thinking of that feeling you get when it's like your hairs on your neck standing on end when you hear an emotional piece of music and it's like a warm tingley feeling that goes to the top of your head making you feel a bit warm and light headed. Not the same thing then?

You could get a frisson from music without experiencing ASMR (even if prone to it) but you could certainly also have one as part of an ASMR experience, but it's separate.
    It's more of a triggered shift into a state of profound physical relaxation and sensory pleasure, not just a single sensation.
    If you've ever had the gas at the dentists (Nitrous) it's close, at least until the drilling starts...
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a weird one for me. I know for a fact I have experienced this feeling before, but I have no idea why or what would have triggered it. I find the whispering videos nice and relaxing, and I almost feel like I might go a bit tingly but I don't.

I just watched one of someone writing with a fountain pen. Something about the strokes of the ink and the scratching on paper appeals to me, but again no tingly response like I know I've felt before. Hmmmm....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    This is a weird one for me. I know for a fact I have experienced this feeling before, but I have no idea why or what would have triggered it. I find the whispering videos nice and relaxing, and I almost feel like I might go a bit tingly but I don't.

I just watched one of someone writing with a fountain pen. Something about the strokes of the ink and the scratching on paper appeals to me, but again no tingly response like I know I've felt before. Hmmmm....

Some people watch them over and over as they find them relaxing. But they might not tingle until they have seen it a few times. Some tingle right away, some never do.

Although I am only new to this I just loved the fact that my mind relaxed and was calm when normally its like Oxford St :D
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really think that :confused: I just find them very relaxing.. Well the ones that appeal to me.
    I cant even tell you one word that was said on the one that I fell asleep listening to. Just a very deep relaxing refreshing sleep.

What I meant by that is that the whispering, and all the relaxing sounds are what you might hear if you were lying next to someone. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a partner but I'm only going off my own experiences and what I miss...

I think we are naturally attracted to certain soothing and intimate sounds, and sometimes it triggers strong emotions and/or tingling we can't really explain cause it's instinctive.

Maybe another explanation is we are having a bit of a throwback to being inside the womb...? Having no real memory of this, but possibly some feelings buried deep that harken back to it, which could be triggered by certain ASMR sounds. Not sure about that...but hey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I meant by that is that the whispering, and all the relaxing sounds are what you might hear if you were lying next to someone. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a partner but I'm only going off my own experiences and what I miss...

I think we are naturally attracted to certain soothing and intimate sounds, and sometimes it triggers strong emotions and/or tingling we can't really explain cause it's instinctive.

Maybe another explanation is we are having a bit of a throwback to being inside the womb...? Having no real memory of this, but possibly some feelings buried deep that harken back to it, which could be triggered by certain ASMR sounds. Not sure about that...but hey.

Yes I expect it could be part of it. Partner, parent, grandparent etc Also being pampered at the hairdressers/barber.

Some of the sounds are crackly and tap tap tapping.
    Its all very interesting to me right now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The warm, tingly and light headed certainly sounds like it :)

I said before I used to always phrase it that something made me "warm and fuzzy". It's a definite tingle, but at least for me, where and how much of me tingles depends.

My 18yr old said he gets it from someone touching his hair. I used to stroke his hair when he was a baby while he went to sleep and to calm him when he was upset. So, either I did that because the fuzzy, nice feeling was already there and it worked or he developed the fuzzy, nice feeling because of my stroking his hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cold call yeterday evening form a asain sounding lady, asking me about ppi, and had I ever been sold any ?
    I have never taken out any ppi , but I strung her along for a long as I could , as I suspected she would trigger asmr !, and I was correct :-) wonderfull :blush:
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Watching people draw or filling in forms seem to be the main thing for me. Also doing something really gently, like folding clothes.

We're all weirdos together!