Sara Cox in for Fearne Cotton

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
Listening to Sara Cox makes you realise just how bad Fearne Cotton is.

Coxy is warm, witty and is very sexy - even on the radio!

Comments

• Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's true.. I used to think Sara Cox was about as low as Radio 1 could go.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true.. I used to think Sara Cox was about as low as Radio 1 could go.

No, Fearne's as low as Radio 1 can go.
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Cox is absolutely brilliant. The way she handled the live lounge with Roll Deep today was superb, Fearne would've made it horrible to listen to.

Overall, Sara's show today was a great listen and her banter with Moyles and Co. was funny. I wish she could take over the slot full time, the content on her show is well thought out and isn't just about playing music or babbling on.

Best thing also, there's no music generator and she finishes at 12.45 instead of doing a Fearne and finish like 5 mins before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    When she was on breakfast I thought she was too shouty, too loud and too stereotypically "northern" but she's mellowed into an absolutely wonderful presenter - one of the warmest and funniest on the radio!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    You are all right. Coxy is so much better now than when she did breakfast, I really hope the bosses of radio 1 can hear just how much better the show has been for the last week and a bit and do something about it, bet they dont tho.

They should swap shows so Cox would do Cotton's show and Cotton could do the show Coxy's been doing for the last 5 months.:D
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Fearne's as low as Radio 1 can go.

Whoosh!
  • fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can never understand why Miss Cotton gets so much time off to do "other activities" such as filming (for other channels)! No other DJ would get this - including the Saviour!!
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Coxy is warm, witty and is very sexy - even on the radio!
    Sara Cox is absolutely brilliant. The way she handled the live lounge with Roll Deep today was superb, Fearne would've made it horrible to listen to.

Overall, Sara's show today was a great listen and her banter with Moyles and Co. was funny. I wish she could take over the slot full time, the content on her show is well thought out and isn't just about playing music or babbling on.

Best thing also, there's no music generator and she finishes at 12.45 instead of doing a Fearne and finish like 5 mins before.

Completely agree with all of this. Sara is brilliant, she always keeps her show fresh, warm, and funny. As for Fearne, well, I'm very tolerant, but she is someone I just cannot stand listening to.

It can't be just coincidence that almost everyone seems to say the same things on this matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike Fearne at all - I don't think she's as bad as everyone makes out. Having said that, Sara Cox is superb, one of the best DJ's on R1 in my opinion - she should be on far more than she is now.
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Coxy and Moyles together on breakfast, along with the rest of the existing crowd, work?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevieFM wrote: »
    I don't dislike Fearne at all - I don't think she's as bad as everyone makes out. Having said that, Sara Cox is superb, one of the best DJ's on R1 in my opinion - she should be on far more than she is now.

I think I can echo that - I can certainly listen to Fearne without any major issues, but i've always been a big fan of Sara's. I would love her to get the morning slot full time, but I guess with her family commitments she probably doesn't want it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep love Sara. The things I used to find annoying about her I now love! It's actually like falling in love with someone!

Shame she's not 24 with lots of wierd tattoos down her legs and a collection of stupid clothing.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willum wrote: »
    Would Coxy and Moyles together on breakfast, along with the rest of the existing crowd, work?

That's a bloody good shout. In fact, what about Moyles and Coxy as a double header on Radio 2 once they both leave Radio 1 (they're more or less the same age) - outside of a Breakfast show Moyles probably wouldn't be able to have such a large team, so a double header + producer might work well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Prefer Sara over Fearne anyday but then i would happily have Fearne over Edith anyday, cant stand her on R1 even on weekends. get rid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when Sara Cox is getting her Sunday show back... Matt Edmondson desperately needs to be relieved of his duties! :rolleyes:
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say he's local radio standard but that would be derisory to local radio.
    Never really liked Coxy in years gone by but she has got much better and less shouty as others have said. Fearne Cotton I just don't get on the radio or TV. Flat voice whilst being grating too. Very strange choice to fill Jo's boots & live lounge without someone that seems to know about music is bizzarre.
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thedaddy75 wrote: »
    You are all right. Coxy is so much better now than when she did breakfast, I really hope the bosses of radio 1 can hear just how much better the show has been for the last week and a bit and do something about it, bet they dont tho.

They should swap shows so Cox would do Cotton's show and Cotton could do the show Coxy's been doing for the last 5 months.:D

Coxy has been on maternity leave since March, so technically, she hasn't been doing any shows! ;)
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shropspod wrote: »
    Anyone know when Sara Cox is getting her Sunday show back... Matt Edmondson desperately needs to be relieved of his duties! :rolleyes:

Coxy is back on Sundays, as of the start of September, when Fearne gets back basically.

As to where Mr Edmondson will end up, I'm sure he'll still be on Fearne's show on Fridays, until R1 management find him his own permanent bit of the schedule, when the next big raft of schedule changes takes place! ;)
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    In my opinion...

Sara Cox - Absolutely love her now, and I hated her on breakfast, as many have said. She falls a wee bit inbetween two stools though - is she too old for what the BBC think the ideal Radio 1 audience want, and too young in attitude for Radio 2? She is a great argument that maturity can make you more relevant to an audience rather than less, however. It would be interesting to hear what Fearne's detractors think of her if she's still on Radio 1 in 10 years time.

Fearne Cotton - Doesn't get up my nose in the way she does to many on here. I think there's a danger it's just become fashionable to hate her. Having said that, she's not an appointment to listen for me.

Matt Edmonson - An interesting one. He does try different things and can be quite funny, but needs solid production - sometimes he just kicks the arse out of a joke that is quite funny to start with (his autotune routine at the weekend being a great example).He's being deployed in the correct role for now, giving him a bit of experience, but in no way ready for the breakfast show yet.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Coxy is back on Sundays, as of the start of September, when Fearne gets back basically.

As to where Mr Edmondson will end up, I'm sure he'll still be on Fearne's show on Fridays, until R1 management find him his own permanent bit of the schedule, when the next big raft of schedule changes takes place! ;)

How disappointing. I hate that slot for Coxy, she's so stifled, having to play 2 hours of classic records with only an hour to be herself and chat!
    Mind you, Edmondson hasn't continued with this format whilst he's been looking after the show so maybe Coxy will be allowed to try something new?
    All the same, just one show of Coxy per week isn't enough, especially when you have to put up with 5 times as much from the Cotton...:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara is 35, 2 years younger than Zane Lowe - should we be thinking of replacing him, too? The fact is Sara does really good show in that weekday slot and it's more geared towards the slightly older end of Radio 1's target. Fearne sounds like she's talking to teenagers and during her show most of them are unable to listen as they are in school!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    But is Fearne's show more on-message for people under 25? And I don't mean us cynical anorak types who inhabit forums like this, I mean the ones who watch her stuff on ITV2, just want to have fun in their lives and don't have any radio choice in their area because advertisers aren't interested in that demographic?

I don't know the answer to that, but it's not as simple as Sara Cox good, Fearne Cotton bad.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is ITV2 the right relevance point for R1? Both T4 and BBC Three do a relatively good job of aiming at that audience while still having an element of intelligence about it. ITV2 just aim for the most mind-numbed part of the audience with their Fearne and... shows.

I guess what I'm saying is that if Radio 1 dumbs down to appeal to the age range of the desired audience it's doing the wrong thing - it should be aiming to get that audience but with intelligent shows that entertain but also educate without patronising. I don't think Fearne and her "talking as if she's still 15" schtick does that.

I could almost understand it if Jo or Sara presented the show during course times and Fearne takes it on in summer holidays - the fact that it's the other way round is bizarre.

As Bob Mortimer said "True or false: Fearne Cotton has never knowingly said anything worthwhile?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She even manages to get away with talking about her kids all the time without it being annoying - just endearing.

I didnt like her on the breakfast show but love her now.

She has bucketloads of personality and is very self depreciating - unlike Fearne Cotton who doesnt seem to be able to take a joke at her expense.

Its not Fearnes age thats the problem (Greg James is only 24 but one of the best on the station) its her inane chat. Why does everything have to be amazing, or incredible. I just dont understand.

Having said that I dont mind her on the T.V
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference between the Moyles handovers couldn't be any wider.

Coxy plays along and often gets the upper hand in the banter stakes with Moyles, whereas the handovers with Fearne are always cringeworthy and you often get the feeling Fearne is hoping it will end quickly so she can get on with her show.