Options

What's wrong with political correctness?

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: 'political correctness' is simply having to be polite about people one feels somehow entitled to be rude to.

Yes I agree with this. Some people may feel offended by certain terms, and often someone doesn't understand why.

That doesn't mean that not being able to call them said term means everyone else is being politically correct. it just means they're being legally forced to stop being an arsehole.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    The problem is that it is used as a tool to take away freedom of speech. UK freedom of speech rights:-

The exceptions cover a LOT. This could have only happened with acceptance of Political Correctness, imo.

It looks like the exceptions are pretty reasonable.

Can you provide the link to what you're quoting?
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't really exist. The definition is something like "an act of courtesy or politeness that I can't be arsed with because it's only $groupIdontbelongto that benefits".
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There's nothing wrong with the general goals of 'political correctness'.

However almost of all of us are judgemental and prone to stereotyping etc to an extent and ultimately there's no single authority to refer to when people disagree about it. In view of that, a somewhat tolerant attitude towards what we consider political incorrectness in others seems sensible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or another way to put it is:

what's wrong with tolerance, understanding, awareness, empathy and sensitivity?

That's manners. The clue is in the word political.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the exceptions are pretty reasonable.

Can you provide the link to what you're quoting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country

And if you're interested in the down-side to P.C, google Cultural Marxism.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the 'Winterval' festival which the downmarket papers were claiming 'replaced' Christmas had 'CHRISTMAS' in bold letters on the front of its flyers. The leaflets also mentioned the various Christmas festivities underway. The papers neglected to mention all this, though.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval

You are correct!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

Take that, Daily Mail! :D

It's irritating how no matter what proof is shown that they are falsified, these stories still endure. I daresay we'll be in for it all again this Winterval. ;)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    "Political correctness gone mad" is the protest cry of bigots across the country.

What they mean is they quite rightly aren't allowed to call black people "n*****s" anymore, or gay people "queers" etc anymore. Certainly without being pulled up on it anyway.

The "PC Brigade" are a non-existant group of people who allegedly ban Christmas and St George's day celebrations even when neither of these occasions have ever been banned.

Interestingly, the one post that gets it absolutely bang on is ignored :)

"Political Correctness" is a concept that has never affected my life in any way.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly, the one post that gets it absolutely bang on is ignored :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4995787/Euro-chiefs-ban-Miss-and-Mrs.html

If by bang on you mean completely wrong, sure.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country

And if you're interested in the down-side to P.C, google Cultural Marxism.

Thanks for the links.

Unfortunately, individuals and groups will hijack things for reasons to do with their own agendas.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    The "PC Brigade" are a non-existant group of people who allegedly ban Christmas and St George's day celebrations even when neither of these occasions have ever been banned.

Well, to be fair, Christmas (or rather, mass) was banned in Scotland, which lasted for about 300 years. I don't know if it was legally done or just informally, though. Also when Oliver Cromwell came to power, he had Parliament banning Christmas in England and Wales, which lasted for about 10 or 20 years. :o

I didn't see anyone accusing both countries of being too PC, though. :D
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with political correctness.
    As long as it doesn't go too far.
    Or old programs are banned from TV or DVD release.
    There should be a warning, those that are offended can either switch over or not buy something.

I'd like to see more of Spike Milligans's work on DVD. Such as the Q-series or Melting Pot.Curry and Chips was released and society didn't collapse.

The other bug bear is changing the name of things.When Black Boards were still around they became Chalk Boards. Changing Christmas to Winter festival. Stopping someone having pot pigs in their window because it could be offensive. That's when it goes too far.

I'm glad racist name calling and violence is being wiped out and people are generally treated equally, but an unpc issue sometimes only becomes an problem when its brought up rather than ignored.

Since everyone else is cheerily debunking your Winter festival gullibility I might suggest you type "blackboards for sale" into that google thing.... and it will be something less for you to get wrong in future :)
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or another way to put it is:

what's wrong with tolerance, understanding, awareness, empathy and sensitivity?
    It's one sided, it doesn't recognise that Blacks can be racist or gays can be heterophobes.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well almost bang on then. There obviously are people who will seek out offence where none exists and try to legislate against it, but on the whole, my experience of "political correctness" is summed up very well by the post I quoted.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    It's one sided, it doesn't recognise that Blacks can be racist or gays can be heterophobes.

They would be bigots, which they certainly were if they had vomited bigoted crap.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    They would be bigots, which they certainly were if they had vomited bigoted crap.

But is it politically correct to call any non white people racist, and gays bigoted?

Sometimes I feel the discussion of sexism within some non white communities is hampered by 'political correctness', for example.

Whilst generally a good thing, it can allow for a knee jerk abusive reaction, rather than be helpful in discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even this discussion of 'political correctness' is littered with post saying that if you don't think it's absolutely fine, there are no problems with it etc. then you are a bigot.

It can make issues actually impossible to discuss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »

It is one sided... you can whinge on endlessly about "Blacks can be racist or gays can be heterophobes"... and you'll never once be accused of political correctness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    It is one sided... you can whinge on endlessly about "Blacks can be racist or gays can be heterophobes"... and you'll never once be accused of political correctness.

And another example.

It's 'whinging' and 'politically incorrect' (bigoted, obviously) to mention such things.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    It depends on who is determining what is correct, incorrect, and by what criteria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even this discussion of 'political correctness' is littered with post saying that if you don't think it's absolutely fine, there are no problems with it etc. then you are a bigot.

But there's no real definition of it, so how can there be real issues with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    But there's no real definition of it, so how can there be real issues with it?

I think there can be problems with it, because it is a 'loose' definition, and many will use features of it (not meant badly) in ways which are deeply unhelpful - it gives a sort of 'moral high ground' or 'permission' to close down discussion, to abuse and dismiss some uncomfortable issues etc.

This is very common in discussion, as this thread attests to.

The calling someone 'a bigot' (at least) is allowable on incredibly slim grounds with 'political correctness' in mind.

Again look at the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there can be problems with it, because it is a 'loose' definition, and many will use features of it (not meant badly) in ways which are deeply unhelpful - it gives a sort of 'moral high ground' or 'permission' to close down discussion, to abuse and dismiss some uncomfortable issues etc.

This is very common in discussion, as this thread attests to.
    I dunno though, it feels like we could have discussions about specific issues without having to bring the quasi-mythical "PC" into it at all. Anyone who complains about PC rather than about a specific issue probably IS just whinging.

I guess I think that if people can use "PC gone mad" as a catch-all term when they're complaining about any accommodation-for-minorities that they don't like, it's equally valid to use "anti-PC" as a catch-all term for people who object to accommodations for minorities in general. Who are...bigots, yeah. Like I say, if someone has a specific issue, they can bring that up without ever saying "it's just another example of PC gone mad"
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well given political correctness is used as abuse, is vague in meaning and is shrouded in fictitious examples why anyone bothers to discuss it at all is the mystery.