Options

Parents of young children - advice

King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

At what age do you think it would be ok to let young ones watch the Sarah Jane Adventures?

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm not a parent, but my youngest sister was only 5 when The Sarah Jane Adventures' first series started, and she watched it from then without a problem... never too scary or anything for her, and it always held her interest too. By 6 she was watching Doctor Who as well. :)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The CBBC guidelines state that content is generally aimed at those aged between 6 and 12, so they're not putting out anything that they don't think is suitable - as always, kids are different in what they can handle and it's always at the parent's discretion...

Was it something you were particularly concerned about? Whether it's scary? Whether the stories are too hard for younger kids to follow?
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    King_Mrh wrote: »
    Hi,

At what age do you think it would be ok to let young ones watch the Sarah Jane Adventures?

Does it matter, its a family show.

Let them watch Torchwood.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a parent, so I couldn't really say.

One story that stands out to me as being rather scary for young kids would be "The Day of the Clown" but many would be fine for young children. Depends on the children, really.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamer than dr who and I presume you let the kids watch dr who? I was 5 when I started watching and apart from being scared of Cybermen in the dell near me, sea devils at my uncle's caravan site at Knott end and a zygon spaceship being in the sea when we used to go to Blackpool it had no long lasting effect on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it something you were particularly concerned about? Whether it's scary? Whether the stories are too hard for younger kids to follow?

It was the scariness of the tone that concerns me. I know SJ Adventures is much tamer than DW, but as I haven't really watched them, I'm not sure at what age I should consider it for a young child. I will of course watch them first, but I just thought I'd ask on here what people thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tamer than dr who and I presume you let the kids watch dr who?

No, I haven't let her watch Dr Who yet, she is too young at the moment (only 3.5 yrs) - and I was thinking ahead to when she is 4 - 5, and whether this would be an appropriate age.

I assumed that SJA would be a safer option to start on (with selected DW episodes thrown in), as it is designed for younger children.
  • Options
    ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the Dad of a 3YO a 6YO and a 9YO

We all sit down and watch (rewatch) Doctor Who together, yes some of the content could be scary, but some of the cartoons I watch (I mean the kids watch) contain peril and scares and general jeopardy.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    SJA is great and I would let kids of any age watch it. But then, I was watching Doctor Who in the early 70s (from when I was just a toddler) so I'm probably a bit more blasé.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really just depends on how much you tolerate as a parent, or how much you think your child can handle. My parents never had a problem letting me watch Doctor Who with them as a toddler, even though it frightened the life out of me, but that's part of what I loved about it. Sarah Jane Adentures I would consider more than fine for any age, but that's for you to judge after watching them for yourself. :)
  • Options
    Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sarah Jane Adventures isn't that scary, its some Doctor Who Episodes you have to watch out for: "The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit", "The Waters of Mars" and a few others. I wasn't too restricted when I was young like I remember watching South Park and Family Guy from a young age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kids like to be scared. I mean its not like your letting a 8 yr old watch Nightmare on Elm Street.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, it depends on the child. My older son and daughter started watching both around the age of 7 and were just fine and loved them. My younger son started at 7 too but some of the Doctor Who stories gave him nightmares (the psychologically scary ones as opposed to the monster scary ones) so I filtered the ones I thought would scare him after that but he was fine with SJAs.

So if a child is of a nervous disposition maybe filter out the episodes you think might scare them. A parent usually knows what sets their child off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly, it depends on the child. My older son and daughter started watching both around the age of 7 and were just fine and loved them. My younger son started at 7 too but some of the Doctor Who stories gave him nightmares (the psychologically scary ones as opposed to the monster scary ones) so I filtered the ones I thought would scare him after that but he was fine with SJAs.

So if a child is of a nervous disposition maybe filter out the episodes you think might scare them. A parent usually knows what sets their child off.

How old were you when you was watching Who? For me id probably say a toddler age.
  • Options
    G_SalesG_Sales Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    King_Mrh wrote: »
    Hi,

If you are the parent, its your discretion for your children.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old were you when you was watching Who? For me id probably say a toddler age.

I suppose I started watching as a toddler, but my friend's son is 5 and can't watch Dr Who because he finds it too scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I suppose I started watching as a toddler, but my friend's son is 5 and can't watch Dr Who because he finds it too scary.

Its not that scary.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not that scary.

I'm not sure why it's difficult to believe that some young kids find Who too scary. I've met one of them. He told me he finds it too scary and I'm pretty sure he's not making it up.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    I am the Dad of a 3YO a 6YO and a 9YO

We all sit down and watch (rewatch) Doctor Who together, yes some of the content could be scary, but some of the cartoons I watch (I mean the kids watch) contain peril and scares and general jeopardy.

I'm impressed that your 3 year old can follow and understand a whole episode of Dr Who: (s)he clearly has greater powers of concentration than mine did at that age!