Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    It is certainly better than doing nothing and someone at the BBC just picking random songs and acts.

Though lets not kid ourselves the most it really means is we won't come last. I suspect if we cloned The Beatles and got John Lennon to write the song via a special episode of Most Haunted we would still end up in the bottom half of the results.

I know this is a popular view but it's pretty wrong, when the BBC makes an effort the results tend to reflect it, for example ALW's euro vision song came top 5, and Blue were top 3 in televote results (although some ropey vocals let them down when it came to the juries) I really, really hope this is a 2009/2011 year for them and they go for it
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The what looks like the axe of BBC3 is tomorrow as the BBC Trust thing closes tonight I believe, Only possible reason for the BBC Trust disapproving of the move of BBC3 could be what happens to the broadcasting hours once the channel moves online. If someone pointed that out somewhere, They might be able to save BBC3 from 21:00 to 03:30 as they all ready approved of the extension of CBBC.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they put it out on Friday at 9pm last year and that is probably the most unsuitable slot. I think even Tuesday is better.

But I have no idea why it keeps being split, viewers just timeshift it and watch both parts together, therefore the overnights are lower.

I think Friday night is fine for a show like Lewis. Crime dramas have done well on Fridays in the past, and the other main channels are usually showing lighter alternatives.

If ITV won't show Lewis as a full 2 hour episode though, I don't get why they don't follow the Silent Witness approach. Show Part 1 on Thursday, then Part 2 on Friday. It'll encourage a few more viewers to maybe watch the show live.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    So, You Me and the Apocalypse starts tonight on Sky1. Will you lot be watching? How big could it be?

Sky must be confident of success given the incredible amount of TV, radio and press advertising there's been. As I type this I am glancing over an 8 page pullout for it in one of the papers. And no, it's not The Sun I'm reading, although it's probably in there too.

I'm quite looking forward to it, the more I read about it. Difficult enough timeslot though with Doctor Foster, Champions League football and other stuff going on.

I will give it a watch as it does look really good, my prediction is 600-700k overnight, timeshifting to 1.5 million. It has a really good cast.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Glitchy was the new name for ITV Player. :p
    :D:D
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Not by my maths it doesn't. ED still over 100k ahead. Can I ask why the headline you use when posting the soap clicky is always EE related, (and often misleading)? Have I missed another tongue-in-cheek moment? ;-)

Nevertheless good for EE for a clash period and very high BBC Three audience. That's more like what you'd expect considering they're running a big storyline. Meanwhile ED is as gripping as ever. Loving the current "Who Shot Robert?" storyline.

Misleading ? Really ? It is not always Eastenders related. Try looking at other posts before you go throwing accusations around like that.

Yesterday it was Corrie

Eastenders gaining ground against another pointless Emmerdale clash is something of a headline considering that it has been struggling recently. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News has caused controversy again over Eamonn Holmes' bizarre interview with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=8ABghHHFv5k
    I think two of Holmes' highest-profile colleagues, Schofield and Burley, are starting to rub off on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think two of Holmes' highest-profile colleagues, Schofield and Burley, are starting to rub off on him.

Perhaps Mr Holmes and Ms (is it Ms) Burley should front a Newsnight type programme together. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Perhaps Mr Holmes and Ms (is it Ms) Burley should front a Newsnight type programme together. :D
    :DViewsfight. :)
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale will be doing a flashback episode to reveal who shot Robert at the end of October. Two other big secrets will be revealed during the episode.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a671195/emmerdales-planning-a-special-rewind-episode-to-reveal-who-shot-robert-sugden.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :DViewsfight. :)

Now that is something that I would love to watch :)
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale will be doing a flashback episode to reveal who shot Robert at the end of October. Two other big secrets will be revealed during the episode.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a671195/emmerdales-planning-a-special-rewind-episode-to-reveal-who-shot-robert-sugden.html

Maybe they could do an Halloween special where someone else gets bumped off by being hit over the head with a big pumpkin.:D
  • Options
    StrangeStrange Posts: 14,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bake off semi-final tonight, predict highest overnight of the series...
  • Options
    ryan_burnryan_burn Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Bt sports champions league ratings continue to disapoint last night's matches not in the ITV media top 10. Well done UEFA.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've noticed Sky News presenters quickly get any flack for stuff like this, but people like Andrew Neil who is very rude to his guests doesn't get any.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your point though? Not every series has had a major change is cast. There's no reason why it came up so short this time around when the series average has hardly moved since the revival in 2005 throughout the eight seasons. The only thing I can think is that viewers didn't enjoy Capaldi much last time around and haven't returned this year.

The point is, although it was the launch of a new series, that in itself is not as big an event as previous launches which have often included a new Doctor or a new companion or both. They automatically pull in a bigger audience. So I think it's unfair to compare the first episode of this series with the first episode of last series when last series had the obvious selling point of a new Doctor and this one didn't.
    And one that will likely be killed 0ff if the BBC dump BBC 3 and BBC 4 as Brucie says is the first thing he would do if put in charge at the BBC.

So he would be telling the fans of the sub titled double bills - You don;t get anything for a pair - not in this game!

Now, I was actually at the event where he said this and heard it first hand, and he did not say anything like that. During the Q&A at the event, someone in the audience asked him his views on the future of the BBC and he ummed and ahhed for a bit, having clearly not having any great views on the subject, and eventually said he thought that he wondered if maybe they could do without BBC3 and BBC4. In fact he called them Channel Three and Channel Four, in that classic old people fashion. But it was clearly just him thinking aloud and making a suggestion in lieu of anything more interesting to say, it was absolutely not Brucie's official plan for the future of the BBC which he's sent to John Whittingdale. But obviously the papers want to spin it like that.

I also met Brucie after the event. Just putting it out there.
    Servalan wrote: »
    The other problem with the opening two-parter is some of the plotting was so steeped in convenient plot devices it no longer became credible. When Clara, Missy and the TARDIS were all destroyed at the end of the first episode, there was no real jeopardy in it, because we knew there'd be magic buttons which would save them all. And, sure enough, there were. (And one of them came from a 60s story!) So there's no real tension in that.

Well, that's something you could cite for any drama, of course Clara and the TARDIS aren't going to be destroyed because we'd have heard about that. I mean, they tried their best by not putting Clara in the cast list for episode two in the Radio Times, but we all now how dramas are made and we've already seen Clara filming other episodes.

It's like a complaint I saw the other week about how the Beeb spoiled Ripper Street by showing a trailer for the next episode with Matthew McFadyen in it, when the cliffhanger for the previous episode saw him in mortal danger. But of course he wasn't going to die. He's the main character.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason, BBC One are running late tonight. Bake Off did not start until 20:03 and Doctor Foster at 21:03.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    The Open: BBC to end live television coverage one year early

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/34399912

Feel a bit sorry for Peter Aliss there as he had made the optimistic point that the BBC would have one more year of coverage several times over the last couple of days of this years tournament. Sadly not surprising in the end given that the Beeb has curtailed exclusive deals with F1 and Six Nations. Golf though is teetering on the brink of nothingness on terrestrial tv now.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Doctor Foster was gripping. Looking like we're heading for a great concluding episode. Should be a super Wednesday for BBC1 next week. I think Bake-Off will be over 12m and Doctor Foster pushing 6.5m+.

ASM&M and Midwinter of the Spirit could be sub 2m.

Its very rare that you get a drama that is so strong and resiliant. These mostly happen on BBC1 though and anything ITV put against it just dies. See last week with Midwinter, this weekend with Abbey, even another period drama managed 4m against it.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they put it out on Friday at 9pm last year and that is probably the most unsuitable slot. I think even Tuesday is better.

But I have no idea why it keeps being split, viewers just timeshift it and watch both parts together, therefore the overnights are lower.

When they split Lewis into hour long episodes and put them on Mondays in 2013 t rated better than to previous series with feature length episodes. And this was opposite Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda on BBC1. Putting the next series on Friday was ridiculous after the last one did so well. I can see it doing better than River though.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    The point is, although it was the launch of a new series, that in itself is not as big an event as previous launches which have often included a new Doctor or a new companion or both. They automatically pull in a bigger audience. So I think it's unfair to compare the first episode of this series with the first episode of last series when last series had the obvious selling point of a new Doctor and this one didn't.

Well the 2010 and 2011 run featured the same Doctor and same companions so you could argue that there was no big draw for the 2011 series - but it still returned well and held up fine across its run. Even more interestingly the 2011 run (series 6) was split into two parts, yet still when it returned after its break, episode 8 was the second most watched episode of the series. The point is nothing changed for nearly 2 and half years as Rory and Amy were featured in the first half of series 7 as well and there was no noticeable dip in numbers. Certainly not to the extent we've seen so far. Yes last week it had the rugby to contend with, but for the series opener the week before, there's absolutely no reason to start with a rating of 4.6m.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not by my maths it doesn't. ED still over 100k ahead. Can I ask why the headline you use when posting the soap clicky is always EE related, (and often misleading)? Have I missed another tongue-in-cheek moment? ;-)

Nevertheless good for EE for a clash period and very high BBC Three audience. That's more like what you'd expect considering they're running a big storyline. Meanwhile ED is as gripping as ever. Loving the current "Who Shot Robert?" storyline.

Ed was lower at 5.48m during the clash period add 300k for +1 = 5.78
    Ed was higher before ee started but lowered during the clash

EE 4.9 + 940 = 5.84 so pretty much neck and neck
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    When they split Lewis into hour long episodes and put them on Mondays in 2013 t rated better than to previous series with feature length episodes. And this was opposite Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda on BBC1. Putting the next series on Friday was ridiculous after the last one did so well. I can see it doing better than River though.

I'm not sure what will happen with River. It looks quite dark and unapealing to the mass audience, but it will still pull in a reasonable audience for BBC1. At least a new drama on Tuesday will at last face some type of competition from ITV. And if they build up n audience on Tuesday they should not revert to type. Keep it growing.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Ed was lower at 5.48m during the clash period add 300k for +1 = 5.78
    Ed was higher before ee started but lowered during the clash

EE 4.9 + 940 = 5.84 so pretty much neck and neck

So now we just ignore the overall average as the first part didn't clash with EE? I've heard it all now. Emmerdale averaged 5.99m including +1 against EE's 5.84m including BBC3.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Well the 2010 and 2011 run featured the same Doctor and same companions so you could argue that there was no big draw for the 2011 series - but it still returned well and held up fine across its run. Even more interestingly the 2011 run (series 6) was split into two parts, yet still when it returned after its break, episode 8 was the second most watched episode of the series. The point is nothing changed for nearly 2 and half years as Rory and Amy were featured in the first half of series 7 as well and there was no noticeable dip in numbers. Certainly not to the extent we've seen so far. Yes last week it had the rugby to contend with, but for the series opener the week before, there's absolutely no reason to start with a rating of 4.6m.

Except maybe that the vast majority of shows are down this year? Perhaps you could also tell us what reason was there for XF/DA/DM to be well down as well, given that most of them had little competition at all.
This discussion has been closed.