Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Class was going to be screened on BBC One after the online BBC Three premier. Which seems a rather strange decision: wouldn't it have more value to BBC One as a first run series on Saturday nights in the DW slot next autumn? Or is the received wisdom that, after Car Share, debuting online shouldn't affect its ratings on BBC One?

This may at least explain the bizarre announcement of a new BBC Three drama commission after the supposedly 'final' drama commission for the channel had been announced.

But, assuming Class will play on Saturday evenings (and I'm not sure where else it would play on BBC One unless it was burned off at 10:35 weekdays), it's interesting that they'd pitch a deliberately YA series against TXF … which will want the same audience.

They not bothered about it really, It will burn off in the 22:35 slot and no one will watch it on iPlayer as they don't know it is on.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    JustChrisM wrote: »
    WHY do they even bother with that? BBC will clean up at 10pm so why not move to 10.30pm and have local news at 10pm? (Similar to their early evening news at 6.30pm)

The late local news is short, though, so the national news would start at 10.10 or something. A bit messy. For cost reasons they wouldn't lengthen the late regional news without cutting the teatime regional news (which in fact gets a decent rating and a share of about 20%).
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pride of Britain did reasonably but record an unspectacular rating and, again, there's another show down year-on-year on ITV. When will the message sink in?

BBC One had a steady evening though EastEnders is being hurt by these clashes - whilst it continues to be hurt I can't see ITV dropping them; especially while Strictly and The X Factor continue to clash. I don't think there will be another Thursday clash in a while as they'll want to give For the Love of Dogs an Emmerdale leg up.

Channel 4 didn't do too badly either with ratings around the 1m mark. That's a disappointing return for Extreme Railways on Channel 5, though. Maybe a lead in of under 800k didn't help though the audience crossover was presumably there. Boy Meets Girl isn't making the most of the Cradle to Grave lead in and, from simply reading about it on here, strikes me as more of a BBC Three comedy?
    jsam93 wrote: »
    To be honest, I am now more concerned with the numerous insults and accusations he/she has thrown in my direction. With all due respect, I will "let it go" as soon as he admits he is wrong and apologises.

I also somewhat resent the implication you appear to be making that I am equally at fault as they are. If you read our respective posts, you will see it is he/she who is in the wrong, he/she who has refused to properly admit, he/she who has constantly insulted and berated me and he/she who has consistently rejected opportunities to apologise for all of this. I would also point out that it was he/she who first replied to me. I didn't quote them in my original post, they quoted me in the morning implying that I was some BBC fanboy.

I apologise in advance, Fudd, if that was not how you intended your post to come across :)

No, I didn't mean it to come across that way. :) More 'you two aren't going to see eye to eye for whatever reason; for the sake of the thread can it be dropped'? :D:blush:
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, assuming Class will play on Saturday evenings (and I'm not sure where else it would play on BBC One unless it was burned off at 10:35 weekdays), it's interesting that they'd pitch a deliberately YA series against TXF … which will want the same audience.

They're not going to put it in the Dr Who slot. From what I've read thus far it would best be placed on CBBC.

Further degradation of Dr Who under the cack-handed stewardship of Moffat.
  • Options
    JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The late local news is short, though, so the national news would start at 10.10 or something. A bit messy. For cost reasons they wouldn't lengthen the late regional news without cutting the teatime regional news (which in fact gets a decent rating and a share of about 20%).

My local news is 30 mins at 6pm and almost 40 mins at 10.30pm, although I suppose it varies depending on region.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that Class was going to be screened on BBC One after the online BBC Three premier. Which seems a rather strange decision: wouldn't it have more value to BBC One as a first run series on Saturday nights in the DW slot next autumn? Or is the received wisdom that, after Car Share, debuting online shouldn't affect its ratings on BBC One?

This may at least explain the bizarre announcement of a new BBC Three drama commission after the supposedly 'final' drama commission for the channel had been announced.

Even if The X Factor takes another dip next year (and it's not out of the realms of possibility) would Class really be the kind of show to benefit, with it's Doctor Who connection? Obviously we're going to have to wait to see how Doctor Who recovers post rugby, and it has three matches to face as of yet - England v Australia, England v Uruguay and New Zealand v France/Ireland - but if the main show is bobbing around the 4m-4.5m mark surely the spin off would take a step back from that? Though I guess it will still better than most things ITV air outside the big 5/football.

EDIT: So it's not being pitched in Doctor Who's slot? I wonder what they'll air there next year then? Maybe In It To Win It?

Speaking of the Rugby, who decided on the kick off times for the knockout matches? Why are both Semi Finals and the Final being played at 4pm??? Surely it'd make more sense to have them in primetime?
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY do they even bother with that? BBC will clean up at 10pm so why not move to 10.30pm and have local news at 10pm? (Similar to their early evening news at 6.30pm)

God no please I couldn't think of anything worse especially itv local news they struggle to fill a 10 minute bulletin let alone 30 minutes

😄😆😁
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale: 5.56m (28.9%)
    EastEnders: 4.59m (22.5%)

Latest outcome of another soap clash last night. Both marginally down versus Tuesday night.

Speaking of the soaps. No Corrie tonight and only one episode next Friday and no episodes the following Monday. So that's five episodes down - looks like that was the reason we had those extra Thursday episodes now.

Shame about ee rating a great ep last night
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News at ten on ITV is numbered, Show new comedy instead in the 22:00 slot.

Either have a short bulletin at 10 for 15 mins inc regional or scrap it and just have headlines at 9 and 11 say ?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local news is 30 mins at 6pm and almost 40 mins at 10.30pm, although I suppose it varies depending on region.

Only STV and UTV have the longer bulletins
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think that's been done before didn't work unfortunately which is why it was put back
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Either have a short bulletin at 10 for 15 mins inc regional or scrap it and just have headlines at 9 and 11 say ?

I agree. Generally, excluding BBC One, News is something viewers avoid on other channels. The news IS an hinderance to ITV which ever way you look at it.

But looking at it on the other foot, its only 'at ten' for financial reasons, being that its cheaper to show news at ten rather than other new programming.

There is a feeling that people think ITV don't care about news, but I also think TV viewers don't care much about ITV News either. Its only the Evening News that gets decent ratings these days, Lunchtime well below 1m, and 'at Ten' just floating above 1m.
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    Think that's been done before didn't work unfortunately which is why it was put back

They had a show with Jon Culshaw and 2DTV aired there for a while back in 2003/04 I think.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

New comedy on ITV - dont make me laugh !! :D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Even if The X Factor takes another dip next year (and it's not out of the realms of possibility) would Class really be the kind of show to benefit, with it's Doctor Who connection? Obviously we're going to have to wait to see how Doctor Who recovers post rugby, and it has three matches to face as of yet - England v Australia, England v Uruguay and New Zealand v France/Ireland - but if the main show is bobbing around the 4m-4.5m mark surely the spin off would take a step back from that? Though I guess it will still better than most things ITV air outside the big 5/football.

EDIT: So it's not being pitched in Doctor Who's slot? I wonder what they'll air there next year then? Maybe In It To Win It?

Speaking of the Rugby, who decided on the kick off times for the knockout matches? Why are both Semi Finals and the Final being played at 4pm??? Surely it'd make more sense to have them in primetime?

Its a strange one. I don't think England ( if they get through the group) have another primetime fixture at all in the knockouts. Considering its once every four years and not always in the right time zone you would have thought it would have been a cert for evening starts.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    New comedy on ITV - dont make me laugh !! :D

They could always run Two and a Half Men at 10pm every weeknight :D

or

Family Guy at 10pm, which would probably rate the same as the news.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    They could always run Two and a Half Men at 10pm every weeknight :D

or

Family Guy at 10pm, which would probably rate the same as the news.

It's perfectly obvious viewers prefer the BBC News when they go head-to-head with ITV. Yesterday

BBC Regional news 6.30 5.208 million
    Six 4.580 m
    Ten 4.104
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I agree. Generally, excluding BBC One, News is something viewers avoid on other channels. The news IS an hinderance to ITV which ever way you look at it.

But looking at it on the other foot, its only 'at ten' for financial reasons, being that its cheaper to show news at ten rather than other new programming.

There is a feeling that people think ITV don't care about news, but I also think TV viewers don't care much about ITV News either. Its only the Evening News that gets decent ratings these days, Lunchtime well below 1m, and 'at Ten' just floating above 1m.

They had a show with Jon Culshaw and 2DTV aired there for a while back in 2003/04 I think.

ITV start their Daytime news 30minutes into the BBC News at One broadcast which accouts for why it struggles at this time. Starting it at 12.30pm would give it a 30minute head start on BBC News.

ITV News at 6pm does fine with 20% shares.

Between ITV news at Ten and the previous programme is uually filled with adverts. I have no doubt this puts some off who tur over the BBC News which starts almost directly after the 9pm programme.

If ITV cut the adverts before 10pm, and went straight into the news, it would be higher. I garuntee it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It's perfectly obvious viewers prefer the BBC News when they go head-to-head with ITV. Yesterday

BBC Regional news 6.30 5.208 million
    Six 4.580 m
    Ten 4.104

BBC news isn't surrounded by adverts. ITV news is.

And btw ITV news at 6pm was pushed back due to the Rugby (which itself got 2.7m 24%) to 6.45pm, 45minutes into BBC news so that would account for the lower ITV news last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Pride of Britain: 4.2m
    Hunted: 1.2m
    The Almost Impossible Game Show: 174,000

Wow that's a poor start. Was is promoted?

Celebrity Juice got 530k, but ITV2 looks weak again.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC news isn't surrounded by adverts. ITV news is.

ITV News used to be surrounded by adverts and did better than this.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about ee rating a great ep last night

That's part of the problem for Eastenders, hard to create and maintain momentum when the audience don't feel its event enough to forego half of the soap they are already watching. Its a slap in the face each time it happens when ideally EE needs as clear a run as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

Yes it's a difficult one what would you show instead ? They probably wouldn't want to srap or cut the news back to make new shows which will probably attract the same or lower audiences ?

Maybe films ? A nightly chat show would be good but that won't happen

What do others suggest ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    ITV News used to be surrounded by adverts and did better than this.

There are a lot more channels around now, and rolling new channels, that has to account partly for ITV news decline. The BBC is is a different league to all the other commercial channels which gives it the advatage.

Plus the fact ITV moves the news around for anything.

Personally BBC news and ITV news are both award winning news programmes and are both as good as each other, which surely suggests viewers just choose BBC news because it is the main and more trusted broadcaster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's a poor start. Was is promoted?

Celebrity Juice got 530k, but ITV2 looks weak again.

It will consolidate to 1m yes down yoy but still a very good figure for itv2
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV start their Daytime news 30minutes into the BBC News at One broadcast which accouts for why it struggles at this time. Starting it at 12.30pm would give it a 30minute head start on BBC News.

ITV News at 6pm does fine with 20% shares.

Between ITV news at Ten and the previous programme is uually filled with adverts. I have no doubt this puts some off who tur over the BBC News which starts almost directly after the 9pm programme.

If ITV cut the adverts before 10pm, and went straight into the news, it would be higher. I garuntee it.

It might be higher, but I think were only talking a few thousand. ITV Lunchtime News struggled when it used to start at 12.30. It still trailed BBC News at One by a very large margin.

People ain't going to switch on ITV for news at lunchtime, I bet most of their viewers are all day ITV daytime viewers, you know, Peter Andre fans and those Loose Women. Thats why the Lunchtime bulletin has alot of female guests talking about 'life'.

Who can forget when they used to do call ins, and Katie Derham had a toddler sat on her lap taking a call on a 'national news bulletin'.
    Yes it's a difficult one what would you show instead ? They probably wouldn't want to srap or cut the news back to make new shows which will probably attract the same or lower audiences ?

Maybe films ? A nightly chat show would be good but that won't happen

What do others suggest ?

A repeat of Coronation Street that was shown earlier in the evening. ;-):D
This discussion has been closed.