Options

Digital Camera probs

I'm using the Olympus C-450 Zoom digital camera that I got recently, but whenever I take a picture with it, it can take 1 or 2 and then I have to leave it for 10 minutes or so for it to recover battery power. Even then, it only takes 10 to 15 pictures before the battery runs down completely. It's a bit annoyning, but is this normal for digital cameras? Is it worth taking it back to the shop? or am I using the wrong batteries? (Alkaline ones are good enough though I would've though)

Many thanks,
Magic

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something certainly doesn't sound right there - the battery should last a good 2 or 3 hours at minimum... Could be worth trying the litium ion batteries though - I know we got them on recommendation from Jessops when we got our digital camera back in October 2002...
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a Kodak digital camera. Four quotes from the owner's manual (first two) and support website respectively:

"IMPORTANT BATTERY INFORMATION
    For acceptable battery life and to make sure your camera operates dependably, do not use alkaline batteries."

"We do not recommend or support alkaline batteries."

"Use rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (if applicable)."

"Alkaline Batteries
    Not recommended. The use of alkaline batteries in these camera models may cause unexpected camera shutdowns and loss of pictures. "

Maybe your camera manufacturer has similar recommendations?
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please ignore duplicate post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would have to agree with Fred, normal batteries are just not powerful enough. Invest in some Ni-MH batteries but check that your camera can take them first (I am sure it will).

The battery life from Ni-MH batteries is ages. I did once try to run my camera with some brand new Duracell batteries when my batteries did run out and they just didn't have the strength to run it. The camera just shutdown straightaway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Yup, alkaline batteries do not produce a high enough current to drive some cameras. I have used them in an emergency in my camera, but they didn't last long, managed to take around 10 pics and they were gone.

Stick with the Ni-MH type.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by magic
    I'm using the Olympus C-450 Zoom digital camera that I got recently, but whenever I take a picture with it, it can take 1 or 2 and then I have to leave it for 10 minutes or so for it to recover battery power. Even then, it only takes 10 to 15 pictures before the battery runs down completely. It's a bit annoyning, but is this normal for digital cameras? Is it worth taking it back to the shop? or am I using the wrong batteries? (Alkaline ones are good enough though I would've though)

Many thanks,
    Magic

As others have said alkaline batteries do not have enough power to run digicams. The C450 uses 2 NiMH AA batteries, suggest you buy 2 sets of 1800mAh ones and of course a charger. If it allows you to turning off the display screen when shooting will save battery power.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, thanks everyone, I'll try NiMH batteries. I was thinking of getting some anyway, but wanted to check it wasn't a fault in the camera first, NiMH batteries are expensive:( But the camera cost more so it should be worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might think they are expensive but they last for ages. I dread to think of how much you would be paying out using ordinary cameras.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got some now and it works like a charm:)

It was the batteries, 1800mA is the maximum current possible from these batteries. What strikes me as odd was that some alkaline batteries were provided with the camera and they failed to work properly, but these NiMH ones are great, thanks for all your help. Oh, one thing, do I have to charge NiMH batteries in any particular way, like use them often or only charge them when fully depleted? I've had countless number of probs with NiCd batteries with this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    NiMH batteries don't suffer from voltage depression when overcharged to the same extent as Nicads do. One thing you will notice from them is they are very bad at holding charge. So if you charge a set on Friday, you'll have lost a significant amount of charge by Monday, and you don't want to rely on that set of batteries for that once-in-a-lifetime shot the next Friday without recharging.

So you don't have to discharge then before recharging, since the way most people use their digital cameras it will be so long since that last charge they're already mostly discharged.

Charge them just the day before use if possible. Use a dedicated NiMH charger which detects when the batteries are fully charged and cuts off - this is harder to detect than for NiCads. And throw out any horrible 'trickle charger' battery destroyer you may have ...

more on the the memory effect myth

longer technical description
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by magic
    Got some now and it works like a charm:)

It was the batteries, 1800mA is the maximum current possible from these batteries. What strikes me as odd was that some alkaline batteries were provided with the camera and they failed to work properly, but these NiMH ones are great, thanks for all your help. Oh, one thing, do I have to charge NiMH batteries in any particular way, like use them often or only charge them when fully depleted? I've had countless number of probs with NiCd batteries with this.

Glad you are sorted.

I usually just charge the NiMH batteries up once they have run completely down. I got the camera in June and since then I think I have only charged them about 5 times which is pretty good because I have taken hundreds of photos.