Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can only be ONE number ONE...and twice too!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9124443/Pops-20-greatest-female-artists.html?frame=2159503

&

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228000_406166882804289_1239981430_n.png

While on the Telegraph their post cant help with a mini-backhand compliment in the middle of the acclaim (wouldnt be the Telegraph without it) it is in a nutshell an element of why she is the top dog in Pop music and Culture :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember when she was promoting the Super Bowl performance she was saying how nervous she was and hoping she could live up to expectations, not really boasting. And it was the best performance ever.
    I think sometimes artists make a big mistake by overhyping something before it comes out. Even if the album or tour is good, they're raised expectations to this impossible level so people are inevitably disappointed.

Madonnas Superbowl show single handedly raised the game for live performance in short time! I mean it is impossible to touch regardless of opinion it was a tour-de-force and feast on the eyes per second throughout and had such a force and energy and direction that this years and in coming years will find very hard to live up to.

Only Madonna!

And yeah again she never overhyped it...the media and we all did that for ourselves...not Madonna, and that is why everyone in the US tuned in and worldwide accumilated the SB larges global audience too...we were all in it for The Madonna Show :)
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can only be ONE number ONE...and twice too!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9124443/Pops-20-greatest-female-artists.html?frame=2159503

&

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228000_406166882804289_1239981430_n.png

While on the Telegraph their post cant help with a mini-backhand compliment in the middle of the acclaim (wouldnt be the Telegraph without it) it is in a nutshell an element of why she is the top dog in Pop music and Culture :cool:

Yes, I think that's unfair. The other artists aren't given the same criticism except for maybe the Spice Girls. That writer does usually like rock, I think he wrote a book on U2 so I guess he looks down on pop dance music. But I think it's crazy to say that none of her music has depth or soul. Has he heard songs like LAP or Live to Tell? Maybe she's not as deep as Joni Mitchell but she has more depth than a lot of pop singers, such as the Spice Girls or Rihanna, even though I like them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, I think that's unfair. The other artists aren't given the same criticism except for maybe the Spice Girls. That writer does usually like rock, I think he wrote a book on U2 so I guess he looks down on pop dance music. But I think it's crazy to say that none of her music has depth or soul. Has he heard songs like LAP or Live to Tell? Maybe she's not as deep as Joni Mitchell but she has more depth than a lot of pop singers, such as the Spice Girls or Rihanna, even though I like them.

Yeah, you would of thought being "Rock driven" he would have listened to Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray Of Light, Music, American Life albums in full and seen/heard the lyrical content, vocals, production, writing and stylisation and really complimented it....i always found part of the definitive charm of every Madonna album from TFA - MDNA that she does inject such gusto and soul into her music...some more than others...and there always is that depth there...be it personal and reflective or of cultural/polotical/social analysis...that is part of her testiment...unless they know that but due to traditional media stakes Madonna cannot be 100% acclaimed despite the fact that she is way ahead of the game :cool: but alas.....:cool:
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally, i think the telegraph piece is generally a fair critique. she`s #1 after all and while the depth point may have been a little harsh. they cover many points that make her great and they describe her in far better detail than some of the others lauded on that list. of course, others are considered more favourably there, but madonna is on top despite the obvious bias and she should speculated that thoroughly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    personally, i think the telegraph piece is generally a fair critique. she`s #1 after all and while the depth point may have been a little harsh. they cover many points that make her great and they describe her in far better detail than some of the others lauded on that list. of course, others are considered more favourably there, but madonna is on top despite the obvious bias and she should speculated that thoroughly.

I wouldnt really call it fair critique...i mean yes she is number 1...but its almost like if she is number one they have to throw in some nonsense/backhand compliment which genuinely is far from the truth in with actual praise too...its just nonsensical :confused: But there is only ONE number one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also its pretty funny that on the list a fraction of the artists there wouldnt be there at all due to Madonna...its incredible really...brilliant...but that "music doesnt ripple the soul/rather have material on the surface" bit really does bother me...because its like they have only heard a few of her singles from her first three albums and latest singles its absurd :/
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »

Agree with you completely.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Always loved that image from Cosmopolitan, she looks so exotic! arrrrrrr!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Always loved that image from Cosmopolitan, she looks so exotic! arrrrrrr!

I know its epic :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen these before...Madonna backstage at the grammys after party

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.477519295617055.94707.115042988531356&type=1

Sweatin and lookin goooooooood :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....cannot believe it will be a whole year since Superbowl Madonna TAKEOVER.....records smashed and set, talked about for weeks after....and showcased the world that 30 years on Madonna was still top dog.

I think i speak for us all when i say...good luck Bey!
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Q: Is she the Queen of Pop?

yes: she remains the Queen...but it is by a thread.... the Princess have challenged for the crown in a very strong manner ...to become the Queen is not a fleeting ascendance but an established coronation based on cultural significance, single sales ; album sales and acclaim and tour sales
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    you have to base this judgement on the last 5 years and general back catalogue ... so yes she is still the Queen..... but Rihanna, Gaga and Beyonce have become real 'ladies in waiting' :) And one of them is the next Queen of Pop ... undoubtedly...
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have to base this judgement on the last 5 years and general back catalogue ... so yes she is still the Queen..... but Rihanna, Gaga and Beyonce have become real 'ladies in waiting' :) And one of them is the next Queen of Pop ... undoubtedly...

If you name three people who are supposedly the Queen, none of them can truly be the Queen. Madonna has set herself apart not just by her music and the hits, but by her style, personality, attitude and her strong point of view and outspokenness on issues. I like a few songs by Rihanna, Gaga and Beyonce, but none of them have truly set themselves apart. Madonna is unique and her own person, in the ways that the "pretenders" aren't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is simply Madonna...Pop Queendom isnt based around the actual ROyal Family..there is no "Next Queen" nor is there a "new Madonna" Madonna is always the Queen Of Pop....its not based on "who is popular right now?" its based on longevity, status, performance, albums, singles, critical reaction, commercial reception...and Madonna is leagues ahead of everyone in terms of this you know? I mean after Madonna the second highest selling female is Mariah Carey whom is Leagues behind Madonna in terms of that reception same with Whitney and Celine who also have the same commercial/critical reception as them....Madonna is her won league up there with Elvis, MJ, Beatles, Queen and The Stones...and she has her own cultural circle.....she has influenced those gals you speak of (RIhanna, gaga, Beyonce) they are a part of MADONNAS inner circle of influence in cultural impact....their circles by comparison are far far less significant...if that makes any sense?

Madonna is forever the Queen Of Pop an Micheal is forever the King ....its a status to respect not assume position :) The lonvevity of the likes of gaga, RIhanna, Beyonce etc has yet to be tested....but in terms of output thus far they will forever be in that shadow.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I genuinely thought Mariah Carey was the best selling female artist ever?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I genuinely thought Mariah Carey was the best selling female artist ever?

Nope very wrong and i have no idea where it all stemmed from??

Mariah has sold 200 million RECORDS...whereas Madona has sold over 200 million ALBUMS and a further 180 million (i think that was the stat in 2010) singles/videos worldwide so approx 380million makes Madonna the 4th biggest selling artist of all time behind MJ, Elvis and The Beatles and ahead of Elton, Queen and The ROlling Stones.

Plus the fact that Madonna always had worldwide fanbase/distribution whereas Mariah is very Stateside centric i truly feel and didnt translate but still Mariah and Celine i think have the same record sales globally too Mariah just ahead i think i read...but its a MASSIVE gap between them :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only competition that Madonna has in the US alone. Barbra Streisand is the biggest selling female ever in the US alone. But Madonna pips her worldwide of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is true Stateside Barbara has sold 72 million records and Madonna 68 million i think isnt it? its VERY close...so within a decade sales may overturn but again Barbara was a definite kinda "American Icon" of sorts so thats the main diference....will be interesting to see where it heads.

WHile sales dont equate everything I do love the fact Madonna kinda is an all round everything :cool: commercial, critical, fan reception all astounding :cool:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 4 million difference? Wow, to think Madonna could thrash her just by her next album alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yah i know...at least i think thats the gap....but i am hoping album 13 is a definite traditional Madonna era in the sense of an assault on the senses takeover.....and that is "recrds" with is singles/album combi...and with the SUperbowl strength there still...Stateside still has that Madonna pull :cool: