Options

ITV replaces Syriana

mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ITV(1) was due to show Syriana after the 10 pm news this evening, as they have many times before. They have replaced it with Beowulf. Why? These are the two answers I've come up with.

1) The film depicts extreme duplicity in the US's dealings with the Middle East. It thus feels uncomfortable showing it in a very delicate political situation because it thinks its audience is going to become distressed and/or politicised by being encouraged to think about that situation in terms that don't fit the official rhetoric.

2) The title contains the word 'Syria'. It thus feels uncomfortable showing it in a very delicate political situation because it thinks its audience are idiots.

I can't decide which of these it is. Any opinions or other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laughable at the paranoia and panic at this
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    ITV(1) was due to show Syriana after the 10 pm news this evening, as they have many times before. They have replaced it with Beowulf. Why? These are the two answers I've come up with.

1) The film depicts extreme duplicity in the US's dealings with the Middle East. It thus feels uncomfortable showing it in a very delicate political situation because it thinks its audience is going to become distressed and/or politicised by being encouraged to think about that situation in terms that don't fit the official rhetoric.

2) The title contains the word 'Syria'. It thus feels uncomfortable showing it in a very delicate political situation because it thinks its audience are idiots.

I would say it was the first one, they don't want to give the public any ideas about wars for oil!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I believe this is for the best at this time.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Could it just be that it's in the running for most tedious film of all time and they realised it wouldn't do their ratings any good? :o

It looked interesting, and I had set my freesat recorder to record it, don't think I will bother in future after reading that. It's probably ITV being sensitive to current national events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    It looked interesting, and I had set my freesat recorder to record it, don't think I will bother in future after reading that. It's probably ITV being sensitive to current national events.

Actually striing's guess is wrong (whoever changed their mind about scheduling because they suddenly decided something is boring??). It's (IMHO) a really good, intelligent film that manages to be quite damning of relations between the US and the Middle East whilst being a cracking thriller.

Many critics rated it very highly, while those who didn't seem not to have been able to follow it (aaww).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365737/criticreviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bet that's what it is. ITV have been so ridiculous with censorship before I can see them being dumb enough to do something like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Beowulf wasn't shown in wales or Scotland anyway due to local programming and national programmes displaced by local programming and the similar.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything to do with the death of Seamus Heaney ? Or that just a coincidence ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything to do with the death of Seamus Heaney ? Or that just a coincidence ?

That's a nice thought, but I think the decision was made before that news came out. And I'm not at all sure ITV would do that anyway.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a nice thought, but I think the decision was made before that news came out. And I'm not at all sure ITV would do that anyway.

Yeah, i wasnt 100% sure of the time
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I believe this is for the best at this time.

Have you seen the film ? The country contained therein is more akin to the UAE or Qatar.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because the first part of Syriana sounds like "Siri", that thing which Apple users are obsessed with. None of them are particularly bright, because they buy Apple, so best not to confuse them.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they were hoping for a 'live action' film from Syria complete with boats and nightvision