Options

Golf 2015

davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New thread for a new year

Horrifying ordeal for Robert Allenby in Hawaii.

I don’t care about the money or my cards or anything like that. I am just glad I have survived this one,’ says Australian player as he tells of being abducted from a bar and robbed
The Australian golfer Robert Allenby has described his relief at surviving an ordeal in which he was abducted from a bar in Hawaii and “dumped in a park miles away”.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/18/golfer-robert-allenby-on-hawaii-attack-i-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-survive

Comments

• Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the thread picks up but golf threads always struggle on ds.

Always do a quid each way on the two tournaments each week.

No matchplay at the end of February this year seems to have moved to end of April.

Loads of tournaments in scotland this year including three weeks in July
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the bold Tiger has returned to the fray!!

Dropping shots like confetti during his 2nd round and is currently +9 for the round having just birdied the 14th. He is currently last in the 132 man field.:p

Even with his undoubted talent and belief his confidence must have taken one hell of a battering in the last year and this could be two last finishes on the trot. Not sure what his sponsors must be thinking ...
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Tiger +10 now (EEK) Needs at least par in his last 3 holes or it's his worst round as a pro

(+11 now I think)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do think woods is finished at the top level.

The American media will never accept this though
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be right, but you can never write him off fully.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's been too many swing changes from Tiger now. The muscle memory has long since gone from his old swing which won him numerous majors and the body is also taking it's toll. There's still a hell of a golfer in there somewhere, no idea how to get it out of him though.

Rory won in Dubai today. Stevie G finished 3rd, he must be hugely disappointed considering he's been 2nd, 1st and 1st in the past 3 years. :D

I'm looking forward to the Humana tonight, one of the favourite events and I love the 16th hole. Martin Laird has a 3 shot lead but there are plenty in the chasing pack including another Scot, Russell Knox who is in 8th place.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was Rory's first tournament win since the USPGA back in august. He doesn't appear to win as much as Tiger did, I think Tiger's got what 100+ professional wins, this is Rory's 16th?

Between 97-08 Tiger was winning 7-8 tournaments a year, so perhaps Rory just goes full pelt at the majors, nothing wrong with that, maybe he wont completely burn out like Tiger did although looking at his swing you feel there's no way he's not going to have injuries later on unless he's elastic.

Anyway 2 months from the masters and he's looks in good form. Jordan Spieth might be one to look out for this year, with 2 back to back wins recently, sign of some maturity from him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    That was Rory's first tournament win since the USPGA back in august. He doesn't appear to win as much as Tiger did, I think Tiger's got what 100+ professional wins, this is Rory's 16th?

Between 97-08 Tiger was winning 7-8 tournaments a year, so perhaps Rory just goes full pelt at the majors, nothing wrong with that, maybe he wont completely burn out like Tiger did although looking at his swing you feel there's no way he's not going to have injuries later on unless he's elastic.

Anyway 2 months from the masters and he's looks in good form. Jordan Spieth might be one to look out for this year, with 2 back to back wins recently, sign of some maturity from him.

With a bit of luck Rory could have won a barrowload recently.

His last 7 European tour sanctioned events he has won 4 and been runner up in the other 3. :o

That is a crazy run of form.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Martin Laird can hang on to win in America.
    Some big names piling up behind him though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Hope Martin Laird can hang on to win in America.
    Some big names piling up behind him though.

Be good to see him win without using the big putter he's played with for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard on the radio that the British Open will be exclusively on Sky from 2017 with highlights on the BBC

I thought it was a protected event ?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that the British Open will be exclusively on Sky from 2017 with highlights on the BBC

I thought it was a protected event ?
    Category B, so only highlights are required on FTA TV. Same as the Ryder Cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Category B, so only highlights are required on FTA TV. Same as the Ryder Cup.

Thanks, didn't realise that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

Or you could say that Rory has 4 wins from his last 7 starts on the European tour (including 2 majors) and has finished runner up in the other 3 - you don't really get much more impressive than that ... basically when his putting is on it is a case of who will be 2nd at present.
  • Options
    RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So tiger is 50/1 to win this week. I seriously never thought i would see the day tiger would be this price, especially in a normal tournement
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who actually came out on top in McIlroy's court case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So tiger is 50/1 to win this week. I seriously never thought i would see the day tiger would be this price, especially in a normal tournement

Especially at Torrey Pines where he has won this event 7 times and also won the US Open when it was played there.

Apparently he hacked his way around in the pro am today so if he makes the cut it'll likely be seen as progress.

DJ is back this week, back from suspension? Who knows, apparently not though. He's 33/1 but will likely be rusty.

I have a little on David Toms e/w at 200/1. You can be short but straight hitting is vital this week and he fits in to that category.

Also a bit on Tommy Fleetwood in Malaysia at 55/1. I think this will be a good year for him.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    So who actually came out on top in McIlroy's court case?

The lawyers, as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also a bit on Tommy Fleetwood in Malaysia at 55/1. I think this will be a good year for him.

Fleetwood one off the lead after the 1st round. Pleased with that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bold Tiger withdraws from the Farmers Championship with back pain ....

My thoughts were after last week he may try and feign injury the next time it goes pear shaped but I will give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment. - must be serious doubts as to his career being over with immediate effect.

But knowing Tiger he may be back in the next couple of weeks ... he has become a sad sideshow in the last 14 months and the golf coverage is not being done justice for any true golf fans in that period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do think it's pretty much over for woods and even now the U.S. media are slowing realising
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torrey Pines is a tough test today. Anyone setting a reasonable target and getting in the clubhouse early must fancy their chances.

It's bunched up at the top, Shane Lowry is 2 behind and Martin Laird 1 back but both will be finished long before the leaders so a good chance for them to set a score.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can never ever write off a champion. Woods will be back.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Chances are Woods won't be back. Doubtful he can get his body into shape and he also has to repair his short game. Better to retire than to be humiliated on the course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having played off a low handicap for over 20 years and having the chipping woes it can be overcome and it is Tiger we are speaking about here. If it does not happen then its pretty much a mirror of Seve apart from Seve's short game never left him.

He's certainly not going to quit