Options

What you hate about Star Wars 1,2 & 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
Forum Member
Happy May the 4th be with you all.... So I decided to record all 6 films for my kids to catch up on this weekend and no sooner had the phantom menace started I thought "god everyone hated this"

So I thought I would find out why people hated it.

For me jar jar binx was just a no no and no......he drove me up the wall and should not have been allowed.

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just the whole epic feel to the graphics, eg. the buildings and stuff.

I was looking forward to seeing the Star Wars universe with better graphics and more fleshed out but it just felt too soul less.

The Force Awakens feels more like Star Wars.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Anakin ruined them. A horrible character. And he was the main character so the films kinda rested on his shoulders. When he failed, the films failed.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    This has been done to death, but I think ultimately it just comes down to poor writing and direction. The characters were cardboard cut-out devices for delivering exposition, unlike the great characters of the originals that you could believe in.

The main plot was largely dull and lacking the fun factor from before. The direction was hellishly stilted, Lucas seemed to put no effort into creating an engaging vision - just relying on post-filming CGI and hoping for the best.

One or two segments here and there perhaps, which had some creativity - and made you wonder whether there actually was a flicker of enthusiasm deep within Lucas. But overall an exercise in banality.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, mainly how joyless they were. You can forgive a lot if you're enjoying the ride but everyone is so po-faced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 3 was allright. I actually quite enjoyed it to be honest. It's mostly let down by the actor they chose for Anakin though.

Episode 1 and especially Episode 2 suffer from really poor writing and plots. Episode 1 has some redeeming qualities like Darth Maul, Qui-Gon and the Pod Racing amongst a couple of others, but I find Episode 2 has nothing I enjoy whatsoever.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Anakin ruined them. A horrible character. And he was the main character so the films kinda rested on his shoulders. When he failed, the films failed.

I'm still annoyed that Anakin become Darth Vader just because his mummy was killed.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the leads were all bloody awful. Christianson & Portman had zero charisma and their acting was bloody awful, such awful dialogue! MacGregor's take on Guiness'es accent just grates.

But, there was stuff in all three that I liked... To say it was all awful would be wrong.
    I loved the design & the special effects!

Strangely, its Attack Of The Clones I liked best!

I thought the pacing of it was fine, just that awful clunky dialogue twixt Anakin & Padme was cringe-worthy! It makes Showgirls look deep...

It still has the best battle scenes of the prequels (the clone factory with Obi Wan & Jango is fantastic/the asteroid field space battle & our three main characters battling an alien each was gr8 stuff - as was the initial part where all the jedis appear to save them.

I loved the design & episodic nature (riffing off TESB alittle) of it.

In all three there are moments of greatness, unfortunately they aren't cohesive as whole films. I still re-watch them occasionally, but just for the effects.

One thing that really bugged me though, Lucas finally had money/power to make his vision, but alien/creature-wise - they were all humanoid-ish body-wise! He mainly kept to original creatures from the original trio. I thought he could've come up with some more interesting designs for his creatures... A minor quibble compared to what needed to be fixed though...

Looking forward to seeing Leia with a lightsaber....:D
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Green screen. Blue screen. CGI.

It ruins films when used to excess. You can tell from the lighting that the backgrounds really aren't there. And with so many digital interactions, even the best actors will struggle to perform with something that actually isn't there.

I think this is the key reason why the Episode VII trailer looks so much like Star Wars as it should be. It looks natural.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even going to attempt to describe what was wrong with TPM, that is well documented and well discussed...

But even though the next two episodes were an improvement, what killed them for me were the effects.

Every single scene had some sort of effect or CGI background...and a lot of those backgrounds had tons of spaceships, flying craft etc, or millions of CGI generated extras or stormtroopers.

And the space battles were the same - there was an obsession with filling every single part of the frame with something, some sort of eye candy.

Same with scenes set on planets...all sort of weird and wonderful creatures, flora and fauna.

Complete and total overkill.

When you look at the earlier movies, though the effects were more rudimentary, the composition of the shots was far superior.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The originals strip mined cinematic and world culture to make a hodge lodge pastiche fairy tale in the style of Lucas' narrative mentor, Joseph Campbell.

What magic he had created in those was leached and drained by the rightly derided prequels, with their ludicrous dialogue and lumpen acting.And a nice little soupçon of Campbellian racism in several characters' portrayals

Hopefully the next one looks like the first decent Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Apologies to StarWarriors, but the only reason these films are so feted is that they were a part of the childhood of their fans; IMHO, apart from Empire, they're not very good films.

There goes my guest speaker spot at Comicon......
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the pub bores whinging about them ad nauseam.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although i enjoyed all 3 of three of the movies i didn't like that we had so much CGI. The CGI doesn't even look believable, you can tell that what you are looking is CGI. The CGI in the space battles is the only thing that i liked about it in Star Wars 1,2 and 3.

I find Padme and Anakin really annoying too. Anakin was alright in Episode 3 but in Episode 1 and 2 he was pretty annoying. And i think Padme is a crap character throughout all 3 of the movies.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the Tarzan cry when a whooki swings on a rope says it all.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    All 3 were very poor films. The CGI was massively overused, the acting and dialogue was atrocious, the focus was all wrong - none of the characters were likeable, the friendship between Anakin and Obi Wan was never established, so their rivalry in ep3 was hollow. The original trilogy was simple and swashbuckling, everything that the prequel trilogy wasn't.

We didn't see enough of Vader, but too much of Anakin firstly as a child and then as a whiny teenager. Palpatine was hammy throughout and for me, really harmed the character of the Emperor, who I think is one of the high points from Return of the Jedi. There was too much politics and explanation - it was not fun mainly because of that. There were too many coincidences - in a galaxy of quadrillions of intelligent beings, it just so happens that Darth Vader builds C3PO and the clone troopers are all clones of Jango Fett, whose Dad is prominent in the original trilogy.

The Jedi were soooooo boring. The whole serious monk crap was rubbish. Jedi Knights, as described in A New Hope sounded like heroic, dynamic warriors. Yoda shouldn't have used a lightsabre - it goes against everything he said in TESB and ROTJ. Really, he shouldn't have had any screen time, and just referred to as a bad ass, leaving his reveal in TESB to be superb.

I could go on and on, but as a fan of the original trilogy and someone who is bored with endless reboots, I would actually be made up if the PT was stricken from the record and eps 1-3 were completely reimagined.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy May the 4th be with you all.... So I decided to record all 6 films for my kids to catch up on this weekend and no sooner had the phantom menace started I thought "god everyone hated this"

So I thought I would find out why people hated it.

For me jar jar binx was just a no no and no......he drove me up the wall and should not have been allowed.

I love everything Star Wars, however Jar Jar should have been put through extreme measure of torture whenever possible. :D
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    For me, the worst crime was relegating the actual Clone War to a mere cartoon TV series. The prequel trilogy should have been more epic than the original trilogy because the story arc was better. This wasnt the redemption of Darth Vader, this was the downfall of Anakin Skywalker, "best star pilot in the galaxy, cunning warrior and good friend". It should have been set against the Clone War from the off, with Anakin starting the trilogy the age he was in Episode III, forget about the little boy Anakin.

I also think that the reason for Anakin's jealousy and eventual turning on his mentor should have been a love triangle with the female lead, sort of in the Arthur / Guinevere / Lancelot mould, heroic knights, but instead they made the Jedi dull monks instead.

Anakin's eventual downfall should have been tragic, but instead it was just stilted, dull, wooden comedy. A massive missed opportunity.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Worst thing? Legions of distraught fanboys weeping into their deluxe, limited edition Ewok teddies.

This, of course, is also the best thing :p
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with them, apart from the acting, the scripts and the CGI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    For me, the worst crime was relegating the actual Clone War to a mere cartoon TV series. The prequel trilogy should have been more epic than the original trilogy because the story arc was better. This wasnt the redemption of Darth Vader, this was the downfall of Anakin Skywalker, "best star pilot in the galaxy, cunning warrior and good friend". It should have been set against the Clone War from the off, with Anakin starting the trilogy the age he was in Episode III, forget about the little boy Anakin.

I also think that the reason for Anakin's jealousy and eventual turning on his mentor should have been a love triangle with the female lead, sort of in the Arthur / Guinevere / Lancelot mould, heroic knights, but instead they made the Jedi dull monks instead.

Anakin's eventual downfall should have been tragic, but instead it was just stilted, dull, wooden comedy. A massive missed opportunity.

Correct on the timing and the love triangle. I also hate that the Clone Wars were actually named after the clonetroopers - what a load of rubbish. In A New Hope, the clone wars sounded like an absolutely epic and legendary time that forged the reputations of Obi Wan and Anakin. The 'clone' reference could have been something really interesting that set up the reason for the wars - clone slaves or insurgents etc. But instead, we got this silly reference. It's like WW2 being called 'The Nazi Stormtroopers Wars'.

This is what I meant by the films having focus in the wrong place. The Clone Wars should have provided a spectacular backdrop to all three films, culminating in the absolute crushing dominance of the new empire. Instead, it started at the end of ep2 and ended midway through ep3. We only know Anakin and Obi Wan were mates because Obi Wan said so. From the movies themselves, they just looked like work colleagues with no special relationship.

Also, the way in which the empire emerged was spectacularly underwhelming. It was all political. The movies are called Star Wars! It should have been military domination that terrified the citizens of the Republic. As it was, all the senators applauded their democratic Republic being completely 're-organised' in to an empire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh my god, those films were bad! For me, Star Wars starts wi A New Hope, and all the prequel stuff exists in a much better form in my mind.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed all three prequel films when they came out, though was only about 8 or 9 when The Phantom Menace came out. I had an appreciation for older films and dated effects and such never bothered me, but all the same I still felt Star Wars as a whole was all a bit cheesy, a bit daft. I like it, but I can't take any of it seriously.

With age, that raises issues with The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones in particular. They took things far too seriously with those two, and didn't have the stellar script or acting skills needed to pull it off. The best actors were stuck in the background, whilst apparently pretty faces lit up the fore. Of all the jedi only Liam Neeson's Qui Gon interests me now, with Yoda being pretty awesome but his back-to-front sentences being used to the extreme and to great annoyance.

I still quite like Revenge of the Sith. It still had a lot of that unwarranted earlier seriousness, but some of it now felt warranted by the story. Had the characters been better written and acted in the previous two films, the climatic battle scenes here would have made for astounding cinema. There's a bit here and there where the film had a little more fun, and it certainly keeps things moving at a brisker pace - it's better for it. The music is also brilliant (though that can be said for the whole prequel trilogy) and I do enjoy the fight between Yoda and the Emperor...it was crazy, stupid, fun, important, but not overly long. My favourite scene in the film is the dialogue-free cityscape scene where Padme ruminates over her future with Anakin... it's actually a very powerful scene, with powerful but eerie music in the background, and absolutely no dialogue (this is important where Haden Christensen is concerned... he's actually very good at acting when he's not speaking) - a moment where I glimpsed what I thought they were trying to do with these films, but it's unfortunately all too short and there is still much to criticse elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Jar Jar Binx, in my opinion, is completely out of place in the movies. The character is much more irritating than it is fun to watch and listen to.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I..........liked the prequels(don't shoot me):blush:
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Correct on the timing and the love triangle. I also hate that the Clone Wars were actually named after the clonetroopers - what a load of rubbish. In A New Hope, the clone wars sounded like an absolutely epic and legendary time that forged the reputations of Obi Wan and Anakin. The 'clone' reference could have been something really interesting that set up the reason for the wars - clone slaves or insurgents etc. But instead, we got this silly reference. It's like WW2 being called 'The Nazi Stormtroopers Wars'.

This is what I meant by the films having focus in the wrong place. The Clone Wars should have provided a spectacular backdrop to all three films, culminating in the absolute crushing dominance of the new empire. Instead, it started at the end of ep2 and ended midway through ep3. We only know Anakin and Obi Wan were mates because Obi Wan said so. From the movies themselves, they just looked like work colleagues with no special relationship.

Also, the way in which the empire emerged was spectacularly underwhelming. It was all political. The movies are called Star Wars! It should have been military domination that terrified the citizens of the Republic. As it was, all the senators applauded their democratic Republic being completely 're-organised' in to an empire.

Isn't that how most things happen...before an army is formed.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The Empire was formed very much like the Nazi's coming to power in Germany. Give the people something to hate and fear, then offer them protection, while striping them of all democracy and government. No shots needed to be fired for Hitler to rise to power.