Options

BT set to charge for CL games

DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3112773/BT-prepares-charge-customers-watch-Uefa-Champions-League-games.html a bit vague and what other premium sports services at likely to be included or moved from the existing channels.

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your post is very misleading i think

How I read that was that BT is to charge BT Internet customers £5 rather than give them it free which it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's misleading at all. Everyone knows how BT charges at present and these are the rumoured changes. They didn't have CL before so how could they charge for it before?
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post is very misleading i think

How I read that was that BT is to charge BT Internet customers £5 rather than give them it free which it was.

Considering the post didn't mention anything about BT Broadband or its customers, it's not misleading at all.

Pricing should be announced on Tuesday but the new 'BT Sport Europe' service looks like it's going to be an additional bolt-on for an extra £5 or so a month.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly a surprise, just as SKY are increasing their charges.
    When you over pay someone cops it. The customers.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thread heading is BT set to charge for CL games

Then the OP says BT havent charged before well they have as they are a subscription channel and it was only ever free to BT customers.

So is this thread aimed at BT customers or all ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Considering the post didn't mention anything about BT Broadband or its customers, it's not misleading at all.

Pricing should be announced on Tuesday but the new 'BT Sport Europe' service looks like it's going to be an additional bolt-on for an extra £5 or so a month.

I suggest you re read the piece

Until now BT has given away its sports channels – which include Premier League football and Aviva Premiership rugby – for free to broadband customers.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the amount of money they're throwing at their sports output, a charge for the channels was always going to be on the cards IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you re read the piece

Until now BT has given away its sports channels – which include Premier League football and Aviva Premiership rugby – for free to broadband customers.

I'm not referring to the link, I'm referring to the OP. Absolutely nothing wrong with the post.

And to clear it up for you, BT Sport 1, 2 and ESPN are expected to remain 'free' and it's just BT Sport Europe that will carry the additional charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the amount of money they're throwing at their sports output, a charge for the channels was always going to be on the cards IMO.

To be fair though, £5 extra for BT customers isn't much at all considering they're not effectively charged for the channels anyway. The place it will be noticeable is via Sky. Your normal Sky sub + BT sub + BT bolt-on for Champions League & Europa League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not referring to the link, I'm referring to the OP. Absolutely nothing wrong with the post.

And to clear it up for you, BT Sport 1, 2 and ESPN are expected to remain 'free' and it's just BT Sport Europe that will carry the additional charge.

But the post IS that link. The OP posts the link as his opening gambit so reading it is part of the post. Or am I being thick in actually thinking that the story he posted has nothing to do with his post ?
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how the post is misleading at all. Loads of people pick up BT Sport for free as part of their internet package - they will now have to pay. Those that are already paying are already paying. Where is the confusion??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the post IS that link. The OP posts the link as his opening gambit so reading it is part of the post. Or am I being thick in actually thinking that the story he posted has nothing to do with his post ?

No, you're just finding issue with something for no reason. Don't half miss that roll eyes smiley at times like this...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how the post is misleading at all. Loads of people pick up BT Sport for free as part of their internet package - they will now have to pay. Those that are already paying are already paying. Where is the confusion??

That's because it's not misleading at all. The link clearly says:

And then continues:
    But after forking out £897million for the rights to show the Champions’ League and Europa Cup from later this year, it will start charging for the games.

BT is expected to ask customers to pay £5 a month to access its premium range of sports programmes, while its existing channels will remain free.

It couldn't be any clearer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's because it's not misleading at all. The link clearly says:

And then continues:

It couldn't be any clearer!

Make up your mind will you ? You say the post has nothing to do with BT Internet and now you are quoting where it says that

I dont have BT Internet and never will have as it is impossible to get where I am so this certainly isn't applicable to me but reading the heading it is quite safe to assume the thread title means a charge for ALL watching it

It isn't even in the right forum for a start, should be in BT or Broadcasting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ how anyone can find fault in my post is beyond me. BT are going to charge for CL matches which is what my post and the article says! It's an additional charge for a new service and not connected to the existing channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make up your mind will you ? You say the post has nothing to do with BT Internet and now you are quoting where it says that

I dont have BT Internet and never will have as it is impossible to get where I am so this certainly isn't applicable to me but reading the heading it is quite safe to assume the thread title means a charge for ALL watching it

For heavens sak grow up. Weak to then fall bsck on the "its it the wrong section" excuse. You got it wrong. I can't help I if you can't comphrend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sound the forum police klaxon! It's about European football. It's in a football thread.

So you don't even have BT Broadband and yet you're accusing the OP of being misleading over whether BT BB customers will be charged £5? :o

FFS, the thread title says EXACTLY what they're going to do!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Christ how anyone can find fault in my post is beyond me. BT are going to charge for CL matches which is what my post and the article says! It's an additional charge for a new service and not connected to the existing channels.

Ok then please clarify this for me and i will bugger off

Is the charge for all BT customers or just those who get it free with BT Broadband ?
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id like to thank DavidT for attempting to bring some new info to forum members. I wasn't aware that that this was BTs plans. I suspect in future you probably won't bother if this is the ridiculous level of grief you get for simply trying to help!!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this means that BT won't be raising the line rental for all phone customers (including those who don't take the broadband services) in order to pay for the additional CL and EC rights, that's fine by me.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »

I feel it was valid to start a new thread on this rather than mix with the other BT Sports discussions.

The problem is you have more and more idiots on these forums who are just looking to troll and pick a fight with everyone. Is why the BBC licence fee threads are such a nightmare. There also seems to be very little moderation of absusive posts these days.

On to the issue of charging it's the fault of the sports pushing up rights and the EU saying you have to have competition.

Either you have a regulated monopoly so only one pay option so no Sky vs BT bidding up prices, but the rights holders don't want.
    Or do as you see in some countries insist the same rights are sold to each platform.
    Therefore Virgin have football rights to sell to cable, Sky on satellite and BT via YouView their broadband, same with TalkTalk and Sky etc.
    Then they are are looking to keep prices down as genuine competition as no one has the exclusive.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If this means that BT won't be raising the line rental for all phone customers in order to pay for the additional CL and EC rights, that's fine by me.
    If it means MotoGP gets classified as a "premium" sport then that is not OK by me and I may well fall back to watching it online on catch up instead, cancelling my BT TV package and resuming my Eurosport Player subscription for the superbike racing. :(
  • Options
    DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    So it looks like it will be a fiver extra then for BT broadband users happy with that.
    It was pretty obvious from their initial comments that charges would be introduced at some level. Anyone who thought it would be given away free was being very naive in my opinion.
    I will be interested to see how they are going to show several matches at once and what method they are going to introduce for the promised "free" games .

Thanks for sharing the link
  • Options
    blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Been waiting to pull the trigger moving from Plusnet to BT Infinity to get the sport. Will probably hold fire now right up to the start of the football season to see where all this leads. While I was expecting sport to not remain free, it seams you will be able to continue some for free without the Europe Bolt on. I think this is actually quite a good compromise.

Don't forget all of those who are not current subscribers, take your subscription via a cashback site such as Quidco and you will get well over the equivalent of 2 years of the propsed £5 bolt on in cash. Win Win !
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok then please clarify this for me and i will bugger off

Is the charge for all BT customers or just those who get it free with BT Broadband ?
    Looks a standalone charge for viewing BT Europe channel. I presume BT Sports 1 & 2 will still be free.