Options

Cricket on 5

mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know why channel 5 are not showing the cricket in hd , the symbol is not there , and on sky it says it's not in hd either. ?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact non of their programmes are in hd tonight ???
  • Options
    Good Idea...ishGood Idea...ish Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    5 HD has moved from 171 to 105 on Sky. Enjoy the highlights!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not know it had been moved to 105 so answered my own question.
  • Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD or not HD, today may show when content is king and I'll take a stab that viewing figures could be very high for both their cricket highlights and indeed for 5 in general (what a day!).
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    The viewing figures were indeed high. 2 million (11% share) tuned in, in a slot where C5 typically pulls in half a million.

Meanwhile live coverage on Sky Sports 2 mustered 489k (6.2%).
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The viewing figures were indeed high. 2 million (11% share) tuned in, in a slot where C5 typically pulls in half a million.

Proof that the Ashes (at least) need to be free.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »

You can apply the same argument then to PL football if you look at viewing figures for PL matches and then MoTD, good luck convincing the authorities :D
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can apply the same argument then to PL football if you look at viewing figures for PL matches and then MoTD, good luck convincing the authorities :D

Maybe, but i think cricket needs more coverage available than currently.

BBC show some domestic football live, cricket gets none.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Slot averages!!! Sky Sports' broadcast was all day and included an hour and five minutes pre-play, lunch, tea and post-play.

Try and get some reach figures to see how many watched on Sky yesterday. It will be a darn site more than 489k.
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good spectacle but dire (SD) PQ.
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »

Or proof that there are more people at work between 10am and 7pm than there are between 7pm and 7:55pm.

Or proof that more people are able to find 55 minutes to spend watching television than nine hours solid.

Or proof that more people will seek out to watch something spectacular they know had happened than have the ability to read the future to know to tune in beforehand.

Or proof that despite all the valid arguments for free-to-air coverage of cricket that people will still make specious claims about exceptional events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed! What were the average ashes figures for channel 4 in 2005?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it got up to 8m at one point.

It's a catch 22 this though. The contract allows the ECB to invest much more into the grassroots and the county game safeguarding the future of the sport. However the lack of free access to the game will result in less kids watching it and taking it up so there's going to be less coming through the grass roots resulting in it being more of a public school sport. It's a hard one. Id probably ideally like a test match from each series on FTA and the remainder of the series staying with sky, or a T20 package being available FTA. Although I wouldn't watch T20 personally as I'm a moaning old traditionalist.
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welsh_Gaz wrote: »
    I think it got up to 8m at one point.

Yeah that was the peak for the climax of the series. The average in 2001 was 1.1m and in 2005 it was 2.5m.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that was the peak for the climax of the series. The average in 2001 was 1.1m and in 2005 it was 2.5m.

C4 split the day into mini sessions for BARB reporting, so shorter time periods gave higher averages.

One BARB viewer = one person watching the whole transmission, without interruption. No leaving the room, changing channel at lunch or tea etc. Highly unlikely for eight or nine hours!!

A quick look at 2005 ratings show the afternoon sessions making the lower half of C4's top 30.

Sky do theirs for the whole transmission, over eight hours or more, so you need eight viewers watching for one hour to make just one BARB viewer.

Whereas C4 had 2.2m for Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 4.17pm until close at 6pm, so less than two viewers watching for an hour to equate to one BARB viewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So I guess we're not comparing like with like
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess we're not comparing like with like

Also worth remembering that television audiences in general are in decline, so comparing eras is often misleading anyway.

And that 2005 was an exceptional event, not an average Ashes audience level, which people always ignore when spinning the figures.

Then England had not won an Ashes series for eighteen years (or at home in twenty years), having lost eight series straight. There were people watching who were old enough to vote yet not born when England last won.

Since then England won three of the next five series, with Australia not having won in England in fourteen years.

So there was obviously an added level of interest in the 2005 series because of how unique that situation was, and the cricket was close adding making it compelling viewing.

An England victory this year is not unusual to generate extra interest, and so far all the matches have been too one-sided to be must-watch events. Apart from the first test they have all practically been decided by lunch on day one.

The thing is, there are valid arguments why cricket should be free-to-air. There is no doubt the audience would be higher than it is on Sky, even Sky and the ECB would admit that, so no need for anyone to compare different circumstances. The issue is simply whether the game would be better from the added exposure or income that the two alternatives offer.
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record Channel 5's highlights show every evening. When l checked my recording schedule on the EPG, Saturday's show has been re-named 'England's Great Ashes Truimph'!

I know that it's 99% certain that England will win the Trent Bridge test but have Channel 5 gone a bit too early on this one and, anyway, there may be freak weather in the Nottingham area tomorrow thus play abandoned for the day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll swing in the morning. Over by lunch.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting aside the FTA argument, it would be interesting to know how prople have accessed the Ashes compared to 2005.
    Then it was TV, radio and, well, I suppose a few had the internet text updates at work?
    Now, the TV angle must be a small % of the overall, many must use mobile services to either watch, have updates, running text comentary, cricinfo's apps etc etc.

But to me, this series hasn't had the quality or the excitement of 2005 and I've been watching it on Now. Sure England look like thumping them, but they are a good to middling England team against a very ordinary (at best) Australian team on England's wickets. Feel a bit let down by how bad the Aussies have been. Hope, in a way, the tail can add 300 and make a game of it......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    I did not know it had been moved to 105 so answered my own question.

It hasn't. Still on 171.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It hasn't. Still on 171.

On 105 for me.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It hasn't. Still on 171.

It should have swapped if you have a Sky HD subscription. Rebooting your box might solve it.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good job I was alert at 7pm tonight. My PVR locates programmes by their name and Ch 5 changed the name of tonight's cricket and I noticed it wasn't recording. Luckily got it going manually only missing the first couple of minutes.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    The series id didn't change though so no problem recording it here.