Options

Airshows should be BANNED!!

Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
Forum Member
✭✭
What is the point of these except to show off?

Considering the tragedy of today and others in the past, there's absolutely no need to do these anymore. Too dangerous and idiotic.

What next?

Firing live tank fire in a field with a massive crowd watching?

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    There are hundreds of public airshows in the UK every year...there have been two in 63 years that have seen civilian casualties...two. Shoreham 2015 and Farnborough 1952.

Compare that to the number of accidents on boats, in cars, at funfairs, on beaches. Shall we ban all of these things as well?

Airshows are great family fun... having been to Biggin Hill Airshow every year since I was a kid. I had the misfortune of seeing one of the two crashes there in 2001, and it is truly devastating! But the pilots died doing what they loved. And the vast majority of airshows are a testament to the superb health and safety procedures we have in the UK.

So rather than damning on the basis of one incident, why not step back and look at the bigger picture. Airshows are recreational fun, they're informative and educational, and they're an event that gets people out of the house. Now and again, and very rarely, tradedy strikes...as is true of any recreational activity. Why not think with a dose of common sense next time before you begin posting things like this?
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the point of most things that people gain entertainment from?

Boy bands?
    Most TV?

And if there is a dangerous element then it makes it more entertaining until it turns into real tragedy. Like going to the circus and watching a high-wire act. Entertaining unless the person falls.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering the tragedy of today and others in the past, there's absolutely no need to do these anymore. Too dangerous and idiotic.

What next?

Possibly the first thing you've said that I agree with.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm outraged that people even leave the house to be honest.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Hey, it's scary out there :kitty::o:D
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

What next?

No, all they need to do is make sure that no aerobatic manoevres are performed over busy major roads and airshow crowds. I am astonished that this plane seems to have attempted a loop over the A27.

If that condition cannot be met, no airshow at that airfield should be permitted. There are plenty of airfields or other vantage points with open fields or open sea off to least one side and that's where aerobatics should be done.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    What next?

Oh I dunno...more hysteria at 10?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pilot wasn't serving a duty other then to be entertaining... It's not like he was doing a job which society depends on ... It would just be a mild inconveniene if he didn't do it for a few spectators who watched the plane crash whilst stood safely miles away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    The pilot wasn't serving a duty other then to be entertaining... It's not like he was doing a job which society depends on ... It was just be a mild inconveniene if he didn't do it for a few spectators who watched the plane crash whilst stood safely miles away

Some airshows get thousands of spectators. My local one used to get nearly 100,000 people over a single weekend. So that's your 'few' spectators for you.

And I guess we should close all funfairs, theme parks, beaches, horse races, car races and basically anything recreational because it will only be an inconvenience, and spares the relatively few lives lost over a huge number of years.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I wondered how long it would be before we got the first hysterical "BAN AIRSHOWS!" posting! :D

I'd be willing to bet that if the forum had been around in the eighties, we'd have had "BAN FOOTBALL!" after the Heysel Stadium disaster.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What next?

I don't think there ever was a "need" to do them before...but that would be missing the point.

The universe is full of stories of shit stuff that happened when something was being done that didn't "need" to be done, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What next?

To give people enjoyment. Yes, okay, the pilots are showing off their skills, but the people will also be enjoying it though. I'm sure there'll be other displays where there's a big risk of being killed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I don't think there ever was a "need" to do them before...but that would be missing the point.

The universe is full of stories of shit stuff that happened when something was being done that didn't "need" to be done, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.

Why can't they just fly over open fields instead of people going about their lives... So if it does crash the person who could die is the person who half expected it that there was a risk of it happening
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Air shows bring a lot of pleasure to millions of people every year.

If you want air shows banned because of the odd death, I suppose you also want to ban chocolate, fast food, fizzy drinks, the internet, swimming, parachuting, cars, mobile phones... just about anything that brings a lot of pleasure but also directly or indirectly kills a percentage of people every year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

If you want air shows banned because of the odd accident, I suppose you want to ban chocolate, fast foods, fizzy drinks, Facebook, swimming, parachuting, cars, motorbikes, well just about anything that brings pleasure and also kills a percentage of people every year.

Most of those things are the things that people now the risks about... People didn't know the risks about travelling down a motor way knowing a stunt plane could crash and kill them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, there you go, innocent people slaughtered, and no-one is to blame, it's another "accident".
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you want air shows banned because of the odd death, I suppose you also want to ban chocolate, fast food, fizzy drinks, the internet, swimming, parachuting, cars, mobile phones... just about anything that brings a lot of pleasure but also directly or indirectly kills a percentage of people every year.

Such comparisons are silly.

While I'm not on the 'ban airshows!!' ridiculousness, at the same time, these people that were killed today were just driving along a road. They weren't flying, watching, or a part of the air show or anything. They made no decision or choice in putting themselves at risk.

IMO they should be done over water like at Bournemouth or Eastbourne, that way only the pilots put themselves at risk.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Most of those things are the things that people now the risks about... People didn't know the risks about travelling down a motor way knowing a stunt plane could crash and kill them

Walking down the street is also a risk. Far more people die each year as a result of street crime than people who die in air show accidents. I would say that most people are aware of (but don't care about) the potential dangers of each.

I walk down the street knowing there's a 0.005% something chance that I'm going to be randomly stabbed to death or killed by a hit and run driver.

I attend an air show knowing there's a 0.0000005% something chance that a plane is going to kill me in a freak accident.

It would make more sense to ban walking down the street.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, there you go, innocent people slaughtered, and no-one is to blame, it's another "accident".

But it is just that.. an accident. It wasn't planned, wasn't deliberate...
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walking down the street is also a risk. Far more people die each year as a result of street crime than people who die in air show accidents. I would say that most people are aware of (but don't care about) the potential dangers of each.

I walk down the street knowing there's a 0.005% something chance that I'm going to be randomly stabbed to death or killed by a hit and run driver.

I attend an air show knowing there's a 0.0000005% something chance that a plane is going to kill me in a freak accident.

Again, silly comparisons.

You need to walk down the street to go about your lives. There are risks but you have to take them to get on with life.

Do we really need to have aircraft attempting loops above busy dual carriageways?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    Such comparisons are silly.

While I'm not on the 'ban airshows!!' ridiculousness, at the same time, these people that were killed today were just driving along a road. They weren't flying, watching, or a part of the air show or anything. They made no decision or choice in putting themselves at risk.

IMO they should be done over water like at Bournemouth or Eastbourne, that way only the pilots put themselves at risk.
    The thing is that whilst one death is too many, these incidents are not frequent. 1952 was the last time something happened at a UK airshow which resulted in casualties. This incident today is the first in British airshow history that has concerned fatalities outside of airport spectators. Given the hundreds of airshows annually, that' a phenomenal track record we can be proud of.

Ultimately this is just a freak one-of-a-kind incident. Massive condolences to the lives lost, it's really horrible. They didn't ask to be there, but then such is the unique nature of this incident it would be apt to compare it to people caught up in car crashes, car collisions, boat incidents, and even commercial plane crashes. Airshows are not like how people are painting them here, if they were then I might be able to agree with the risks they pose. As it is, they are remarkably safe...over land or sea.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are hundreds of public airshows in the UK every year...there have been two in 63 years that have seen civilian casualties...two. Shoreham 2015 and Farnborough 1952.

Compare that to the number of accidents on boats, in cars, at funfairs, on beaches. Shall we ban all of these things as well?

Airshows are great family fun... having been to Biggin Hill Airshow every year since I was a kid. I had the misfortune of seeing one of the two crashes there in 2001, and it is truly devastating! But the pilots died doing what they loved. And the vast majority of airshows are a testament to the superb health and safety procedures we have in the UK.

So rather than damning on the basis of one incident, why not step back and look at the bigger picture. Airshows are recreational fun, they're informative and educational, and they're an event that gets people out of the house. Now and again, and very rarely, tradedy strikes...as is true of any recreational activity. Why not think with a dose of common sense next time before you begin posting things like this?
    ^ This

It's a worry to me that the sort of people whose knee-jerk reaction is to call for a ban on stuff actually breed. Dawinism inversed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear, spurious statistics to bolster a illogical argument.

The people killed were not at the Air Show.

People who pay to go to an Air Show accept the tiny risk of death, people going about their lawful business should not expect to have a vintage jet-fighter fall on them.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they shouldn't be banned, accidents are rare. Many events have a risk, but the chances or anything happening are low.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Disgraceful and feckless