Options

Are IKEA sofas flat pack?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Slightly stupid question here but I am going to pop to IKEA tomorrow to view this sofa: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39032420/#/S19032831. Obviously I will need it delivered by them and was wondering if they come flat packed? It is unclear on the website. It looks as if only the legs need to be assembled but then the details say it comes in 4 boxes.

The only reason I am asking is because I want to make sure it fits through my internal door. Using these instructions from the Loaf website (http://sleeproom.assets.d3r.com/pdfs/original/162988-will-it-fit-sofa.pdf) it says as long as the door width clearance is greater than the sofa height, then I will be okay. The assembled sofa height is 78cm but I guess that includes the legs so that would be a smaller number? My door clearances are:

Front door: 82cm width
Lounge door: 76cm width (there's a bookcase next to it preventing it from opening fully but that could be moved)

So based on the above, 78cm is fine for the front door but not for the lounge door. However, as mentioned, if the legs aren't attached it should be okay for both.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scroll down on n that link and go to packages 4
    Under it is a blue clicky thing and it gives you the package dimension

Package measurement and weight
    Article NumberPackagesWidthHeightLengthDiameterWeight
    202.717.93192 cm52 cm210 cm-60.20 kg
    702.717.81181 cm52 cm160 cm-28.80 kg
    702.923.97219 cm5 cm19 cm-0.83 kg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Scroll down on n that link and go to packages 4
    Under it is a blue clicky thing and it gives you the package dimension

Package measurement and weight
    Article NumberPackagesWidthHeightLengthDiameterWeight
    202.717.93192 cm52 cm210 cm-60.20 kg
    702.717.81181 cm52 cm160 cm-28.80 kg
    702.923.97219 cm5 cm19 cm-0.83 kg

Thanks. Yes I saw that. That's what I meant above when it said 4 packages so it must be flat pack? I am not sure which dimension of those I should use!
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the 92 x 52 x 210 package will go through your doors then the rest will be fine.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes I saw that. That's what I meant above when it said 4 packages so it must be flat pack? I am not sure which dimension of those I should use!

Use the biggest package as the one that has to fit in the door

Width 92

Height 52

Length 210

So you turn it on its side and the package is then 92 x 52 x 210 .
    The 52 will fit and the height also at 92 will fit on its side through the door .

Carried flat its width is 92 , carried on its side the width is 52 .Hope I am making sense !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect sense! Thank you.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Use the biggest package as the one that has to fit in the door

Width 92

Height 52

Length 210

It's bigger than it sounds if you're more familiar with imperial. This package is roughly the size of three single mattresses stacked together, but won't be quite as bendy. It should be OK carried length-ways if there aren't any sharp turns.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordered a sofa for the kitchen from Ikea. It came as a sofa, but I had to screw the feet on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having now ordered the sofa, I completely forgot about the lift in my block! My apartment is top floor which is the 3rd. Does anyone know if IKEA will take the sofa up the flights of stairs if they can't fit it in the lift? The sofa would be 204cm unpackaged. I will measure the lift tonight but I am not hopeful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just remembered that IKEA have previously delivered this to my flat: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00263850/. The packaged height of that item was 204cm so if my sofa is the same WITHOUT packaging, I am hoping I should be okay - just!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now ordered the sofa, I completely forgot about the lift in my block!
    I have just remembered that IKEA have previously delivered this to my flat:
    For someone called Rewind you have an extremely poor memory. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    For someone called Rewind you have an extremely poor memory. :D

:D I put it down to tiredness. ;-)
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    My sofa is from ikea, it came with the arms and legs off
  • Options
    Michael_WebsterMichael_Webster Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would be. But it's all depending on what sort you get. It's it's a proper cheap o thing. Thin as paper as much padding in the arms and that as you get on a bike seat. And just looks cheap it maybe come in bits. But something like a sofa needs to be strong n steRdy