Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wasn't expecting him to do this but Joss Whedon is writing and directing an adaptation of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing starring his Firefly/Serenity actors Nathan Fillion (Mal Reynolds) and Sean Maher (Simon Tam).

Should be interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094064/

Comments

• HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus Amy Acker (Angel) and Alexis Denisof (Buffy/Angel).

I think I'd watch this just for the people involced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Plus Amy Acker (Angel) and Alexis Denisof (Buffy/Angel).

I think I'd watch this just for the people involced.

Haven't seen the Buffy/Angel series which is why I didn't tag them should do though seeing as I like everything else Whedon has done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plus Tom Lenk (Buffy/Angel) >Played Andrew(Tucker's Brother) :p
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fred and Wesley reunited!

I can't wait to see this.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Released on Friday :) Very much looking forward to going and seeing it this weekend in Manchester :)
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read that Joss Whedon filmed this in a few days at his home after he finished filming The Avengers but I'm looking forward to watching it!
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I'll be seeing this though it's not to do with Joss Whedon :p I had to study 'Much ado...' for GCSE and it was mind numbingly dull. Definitely one of Shakespeare's lesser plays. It really is 'Much ado about Nothing'.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to see the preview screening at the bfi tomorrow, plus the q&a afterwards with Joss Whedon.

Conversely to the last poster, I always found it to be one of Shakespeare's most engaging plays - some great comic moments alongside the darker love story. It's fair to say it's a simple story, and the principe story hangs on a rather unlikely plot development (from a logical point of view), but I wouldn't call it one of his lesser plays at all.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Going to see the preview screening at the bfi tomorrow, plus the q&a afterwards with Joss Whedon.

Gah, I'm so envious, I missed out on tickets to that and was absolutely gutted. I'm looking forward to the film a ridiculous amount. Probably my two favourite worlds colliding in Whedon and Shakespeare
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    Gah, I'm so envious, I missed out on tickets to that and was absolutely gutted. I'm looking forward to the film a ridiculous amount. Probably my two favourite worlds colliding in Whedon and Shakespeare

Yeah, I'm really lucky to have a friend who has the happy knack of most always managing to get tickets to things like this, how he does it I do not know! I saw the Joss Whedon q&e tickets come and go in seconds before I could even log in lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It sounds interesting. But if it's anything like Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Julliet I will not have a clue what's going on. Perhaps best to wait for the DVD or find a subtitled screening...
    Forum Member
    Well I didn't realize that Much Ado About Nothing is a limited release in the UK and my local Cineworld is not showing it at all!

I'm guessing I will have to wait until its on DVD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well I didn't realize that Much Ado About Nothing is a limited release in the UK and my local Cineworld is not showing it at all!

Whedon's more of a cult figure, he's not actually that famous. But he is doing shit loads of publicity over here...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Don't think I'll be seeing this though it's not to do with Joss Whedon :p I had to study 'Much ado...' for GCSE and it was mind numbingly dull. Definitely one of Shakespeare's lesser plays. It really is 'Much ado about Nothing'.

The Daily Mail review says "Whedon’s new version of Much Ado — which has its UK premiere today — is charming, funny and wonderfully entertaining. It even appeals to those who would normally reach for their gun at the mention of Shakespeare."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2339295/Much-Ado-About-Nothing-Chris-Tookey-explains-certain-hit.html

So it might be quite fun!:)
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jockr wrote: »
    The Daily Mail review says "Whedon’s new version of Much Ado — which has its UK premiere today — is charming, funny and wonderfully entertaining. It even appeals to those who would normally reach for their gun at the mention of Shakespeare."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2339295/Much-Ado-About-Nothing-Chris-Tookey-explains-certain-hit.html

So it might be quite fun!:)

Having read some reviews including this one I might see this film, if at least when it comes out on DVD. Though I wasn't massively keen on The Avengers I do like Joss Whedon as a writer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this, loved the trailers, and I always like anything Joss Whedon does - so far :D
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing! Saw this at the Glasgow Film Festival in February and I will be seeing it again. I have a soft spot for the original after seeing it on a school trip in the early 90s but this does it completely differently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from the bfi screening and q&e, will post more about it tomorrow evening but I have to get up for work in a few hours. Anyway, it was really terrific. Have not laughed so much in a long long time :)
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Muttley, I'm jealous too !!

Motthus wrote: »

Here's a full list of where it is screening, maybe there is somewhere near you Motthus.

http://muchadofilm.co.uk/in-cinemas/
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the list but I have already seen that.There is a screening in Cardiff in Chapter but I've got an Unlimited card for Cineworld so I think I will leave it unti the DVD now as I don't fancy going to see it on my own!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a slightly more detailed review....

The most impressive element of this adaptation is how Whedon has managed to bring something fresh and new to a story that has been told and retold many times down the years while still staying true to the source of material.

While Branaghs adaptation was impressive for the scale and ambition that he bought to the piece, Whedon takes is more intimate and personal, but equally accomplished, approach (if not slightly more so, due to being more innovative).

I think what helps is that Whedon has always been terrifically gifted when it comes to characterisation, and this helps to ensure that even less prominent characters feel quite well fleshed out.

In particular, the comedic elements to the story are triumph, the use of body language and non-verbal communication to convey thoughts and action in certain scenes was particularly impressive, with special props to Alexis Denisof, who makes for a wonderful Benedick.

The casting is nearly all around perfect, however one niggle for me is around the casting of Conrade - it's an interesting twist but not wholly successful, the first scene aside.

I'd also suggest that at times the comedy is almost too effective in so much as it rather overshadows some of the darker elements to the story.

However, these are fairly minor niggles,and I can safely say this is going to feature pretty high up in my own personal film of the year list :)

9/10

So the q&e - it was great fun, Whedon remains such a down to earth and relatable guy who will happily poke fun at himself. He is also honest and upfront about the frustration he has had with production companies, Fox in particular.

There was a really charming moment at the end which we have been politely been asked not to elaborate on, but no doubt the video of said moment will be out there eventually, till then my lips are sealed ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Acker yummylicious.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not showing round here. Bah.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His Jossness has just been on the Mayo and Kermode show on Radio 5 talking about this. Apparently it was filmed in 12 days at his own house.

I'm not usually interested in Shakespeare but I like the look of this. If anyone can make The Bad accessible then Joss can.

I just love the idea of him continuing to make these low budget films with his Repertory Company of regular actors alongside his blockbusters - although the review in the Independent called them a "cast of unknowns"!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I just love the idea of him continuing to make these low budget films with his Repertory Company of regular actors alongside his blockbusters - although the review in the Independent called them a "cast of unknowns"!

I chortled at that line, too.

Much Ado is a very good way for Joss to start doing these films. It's one of Shakespeare's more accessible and enjoyable plays, IMHO.