Polling Station With Vote Labour Poster

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
I'm blatantly taking stories from guido.

But here is a polling station with a vote labour poster:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/469450302002049024/photo/1
Inside the polling station which is Hunslet Sports and Social Club in Leeds is a helpful "Vote Labour" poster.

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather than taking photos for a Twitter posting the person who noticed that should have removed it. Whoever owns the premises or their political beliefs any campaign material on the grounds of polling stations breaches Electoral Commisison rules. The poster shouldn't be there and needs to go.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Rather than taking photos for a Twitter posting the person who noticed that should have removed it. Whoever owns the premises or their political beliefs any campaign material on the grounds of polling stations breaches Electoral Commisison rules. The poster shouldn't be there and needs to go.

it has been removed.

i can't understand how non of the staff can have realised that it is not meant to be there.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it has been removed.

i can't understand how non of the staff can have realised that it is not meant to be there.

They work for a Labour council!:D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is some debate also on Guido's site about how the voting forms are folded prior to being given to the voter. Apparently they're folded in a certain way to assist them going into the ballot box. But the staff are supposed to then unfold it before handing it over to the voter. Some are saying they were folded multiple times which hid the UKIP entry and weren't unfolded properly. I suppose it won't stop anyone voting because they'll just unfold it themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    There is some debate also on Guido's site about how the voting forms are folded prior to being given to the voter. Apparently they're folded in a certain way to assist them going into the ballot box. But the staff are supposed to then unfold it before handing it over to the voter. Some are saying they were folded multiple times which hid the UKIP entry and weren't unfolded properly. I suppose it won't stop anyone voting because they'll just unfold it themselves.

Anyone would think we are in North Korea, although as you say, if the only candidate what people see on the ballot form is Kim Jong-un, they would just need to unfold it to see the other candidate, Kim Jong-un.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the polling officials aren't allowed to touch ballot papers after they've handed them over? So they prefold them to get the creases in.

My Euro vote slip was folded twice and not then unfolded. Had to do it myself. No big deal.
    Forum Member

I read this.

you obviously can unfold it. but amongst the many many people that vote there will undoubtedly be some who don't.
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this.

you obviously can unfold it. but amongst the many many people that vote there will undoubtedly be some who don't.

You'd have to be an utter moron not to notice the thickness/loose creases of the ballot paper and that it needs unfolding to reveal all candidates.
  • chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    My voting slip was handed to me unfolded and I don't see the need to have it folded in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're unable to unfold a piece of paper and lay it flat to read it before voting then you've got greater things to worry about.
    Forum Member
    If you're unable to unfold a piece of paper and lay it flat to read it before voting then you've got greater things to worry about.
    I don't really understand your position.

are you saying that this would not influence the outcome of an election or that it's OK if it does?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand your position.

are you saying that this would not influence the outcome of an election or that it's OK if it does?
    I'm saying a folded piece of paper is hardly the Krypton Factor. Would you sign a contract without reading it first?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido has become a witchfinder
    Forum Member
    I'm saying a folded piece of paper is hardly the Krypton Factor. Would you sign a contract without reading it first?

What has whether or not i would sign a contract without reading it go to do with anything?

I'm guessing from your Krypton factor idea that you are saying that it would not influence the results of an election because every single voter would notice it was folded and would unfold it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has whether or not i would sign a contract without reading it go to do with anything?

I'm guessing from your Krypton factor idea that you are saying that it would not influence the results of an election because every single voter would notice it was folded and would unfold it?
    I don't think it would affect it enough to make a significant difference, especially with the way the Euro votes are counted. Most if not all people would just unfold the paper.

Which is why I think this is just some whinging rather than an actual issue.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

It is all about internet hits. Hence, over the last few days/week Guido has been playing up to the UKIP paranoia conspiracy crowd. Looks like it has worked a treat.

Folded up pieces of paper..:o

Still, it seems the very same people that might struggle with such a concept as folded paper were previously able to open an envelope, unfold the form inside and fill in their registration forms and send them back off.:D

Maybe Mr. Rubik should look into this, might have another idea for a hit toy on his hands. Rubik Paper...see if you can unfold it and read words.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My voting slip was handed to me unfolded and I don't see the need to have it folded in the first place.

Mine too.

It was about three feet long, but she just tore it off the pad and handed it over.

If she'd have started folding it, I would have challenged her.

Anyone faffing about with ballot papers in that situation is not a fan of democracy and shouldn't be in that role.
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would affect it enough to make a significant difference, especially with the way the Euro votes are counted. Most if not all people would just unfold the paper.

Which is why I think this is just some whinging rather than an actual issue.

You would be amazed how big a difference these things make. they've done studies on this where they take like 500 people and say ok lets pretend you support fox hunting, then send them in to the voting booths with questions like 'do you want to lift the ban on fox hunting.' they never get more than 90% voting the way they are supposed to.

so many things make a difference including the order on the ballot paper, the size of the text, appearing below the fold.

this is why the electoral commission issues guidance, they know their shit.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus Christ, people moaning about voting slips.

Do they need help going to the toilet aswell?
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Yup.
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, people moaning about voting slips.

Do they need help going to the toilet aswell?

Literally millions of people need help going to the toilet.

What on earth is your point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The electoral commission clearly think it's important that the ballot paper is handed over unfolded, else they wouldn't tell their guys to do it.
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/148463/PCC-Polling-station-quick-guide.pdf

Reason why the ''do not fold'' rule was introduced in 2009.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8083435.stm

Didn't bother me TBH, getting a folded up slip. But I would expect the officials to know the rules, which is slightly worrying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would be amazed how big a difference these things make. they've done studies on this where they take like 500 people and say ok lets pretend you support fox hunting, then send them in to the voting booths with questions like 'do you want to lift the ban on fox hunting.' they never get more than 90% voting the way they are supposed to.

so many things make a difference including the order on the ballot paper, the size of the text, appearing below the fold.

this is why the electoral commission issues guidance, they know their shit.
    The way referendum questions are asked makes a huge difference I agree. I don't see that as involved here though. This is a piece of paper. You take it into the booth, unfold it, choose your candidate or party, and scrawl a big X.

As I say, this isn't the Krypton Factor. You don't have to work at CERN to be able to understand it, it's pretty straightforward.
    Forum Member
    The way referendum questions are asked makes a huge difference I agree. I don't see that as involved here though. This is a piece of paper. You take it into the booth, unfold it, choose your candidate or party, and scrawl a big X.

As I say, this isn't the Krypton Factor. You don't have to work at CERN to be able to understand it, it's pretty straightforward.

you don't have to work at CERN to be allowed a vote either.

I'm left wondering who is more likely to know whether this has the potential to influence the outcome of an election. you or the electoral commission.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't have to work at CERN to be allowed a vote either.
    Exactly what I said. *insert defunct roll eye smiley*
    I'm left wondering who is more likely to know whether this has the potential to influence the outcome of an election. you or the electoral commission.
    One would think you were looking for excuses as to why your party might not do well. Seen some interesting exit poll data have we?
    Forum Member
    Exactly what I said. *insert defunct roll eye smiley*

One would think you were looking for excuses as to why your party might not do well. Seen some interesting exit poll data have we?

Who's my party?