When will BT, Sky and others turn off their ADSL service?

124»

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Very true, a friend of mine still uses a 56k modem on a single core Athlon 2800XP and FreeUK (1p a min charged to your phone bill) dial-up

Is there any reason why? ADSL is extremely cheap and the Internet is pretty unusable on dial-up. Cost could be a factor, but I'd have thought those pennies would easily mount up as pages take an age to load.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Is there any reason why? ADSL is extremely cheap and the Internet is pretty unusable on dial-up. Cost could be a factor, but I'd have thought those pennies would easily mount up as pages take an age to load.

Well I do know some on dial-up because they cannot get ADSL on a landline. Only alternative would satellite as no mobile coverage either.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like when ADSL killed off dial-up for almost everyone, fibre will kill off ADSL/2/+2 connections when enough people have it.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    Well I do know some on dial-up because they cannot get ADSL on a landline. Only alternative would satellite as no mobile coverage either.

That must be someone on an impressively long or bad quality line if ADSL is totally unavailable, or on one of the maybe 5 exchanges which never got it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said before, i know of two households still on dial up, one by choice and the other not by choice.

I am trying to get the ones who don't have it by choice to change their mind, because with Talk Talk at only £3 or so a month, it will not break the bank.

The ones who can't get ADSL are a bit annoyed, they have been told that there would be some sort of broadband there soon, but nothing have happened. they did think about Satellite, but the price put them off.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    As I said before, i know of two households still on dial up, one by choice and the other not by choice.

I am trying to get the ones who don't have it by choice to change their mind, because with Talk Talk at only £3 or so a month, it will not break the bank.

The ones who can't get ADSL are a bit annoyed, they have been told that there would be some sort of broadband there soon, but nothing have happened. they did think about Satellite, but the price put them off.

So the ones who can't get broadband-If you put their address into the BT Wholesale DSL checker what does it say?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

You have indeed, oh so many times.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    So the ones who can't get broadband-If you put their address into the BT Wholesale DSL checker what does it say?

It says oh my god, you live beyond civilisation. :)

It says that ADSL is available at their exchange but because of the length of their line a engineer may be required. they been through it, BT openreach will not install ADSL as they are too far from the exchange.
    They really do live in the sticks, they did try 3G, but no luck with that either, the only signal they could get was with Orange, strange i know, but true. But the signal was still so naff that the speed was not much better than dial up. i ever tried to to stick the dongle outside with a USB extension.

We been hoping that Allpay would expand where they live, but sadly it have not and they are really in a area which is on the border of Herefordshire.

I told them they would have to move closer into Hereford, what they called me is not printable :)