Come Fly With Me - BBC1 10pm

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting better as it goes along.

Liked the skit with the guy without the passport. Reminded me of most of the customers on airline who slag off easyjet when they arrive late for check in.
  • MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. This feels really amateurish, predictable, obvious... And there are six of these? Maybe the characters will grow on me, but somehow I doubt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    There is no context or irony - what context or irony was there with the two Japanese stereotypes? Nothing.

As for Manning, he had a go at EVERYONE, but knew his limits - no jokes about the disabled or those who cannot answer back. We've had series after series of Little Britain taking the piss out of the disabled or the mentally ill, where is the 'irony' in that? They are lazy comics, 30 years too late.

There is no honesty about this, and the 'irony' tag doesn't count on this.

Its overexaggerating stereotypes

It happens in a lot of 'comedy' shows
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Is it because it's done 'ironically' and that their public schoolboy mates effectively run the BBC?

hurrah, thought it was just me...

Its Emperor New Clothes stuff...somebody please tell it like it is UTTER UTTER SHITE !
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see this running for years it's that bad.:cool::rolleyes:
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marginally funny but more wrong with it than is right with it
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    having watched the first of the series and given it a chance I can safely say that I wont watch the rest of the series.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is done with context and irony

Context and irony maybe - but unfortunately no humour.

I have no problem with them playing characters of other races - as long as it's funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some parts have been funny but overall it hasn't been good.
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    When was the last time a BBC show was pulled mid-series for being crap?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there was no context with Bernard Manning
    He was a pig

This is done with context and irony

What "context and irony"?

I have no problems about someone blacking up but just wish it was funny.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very people who run the BBC refuse to show a lot of the 'old' lot because of perceived racism or prejudices. However because these were educated at the same time with the people running the BBC, Walliams and Lucas get in - and are doing the same thing that Bernard Manning et al were criticised for to start with.

Now having a go at the Japanese. Jesus Wept.

I agree, the Japanese schoolgirls were particularly offensive :(
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    This is quite disappointing.

Agree.Over hyped.All a bit obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I have no problem with them playing characters of other races - as long as it's funny

I agree
    its beyond terrible
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its overexaggerating stereotypes

It happens in a lot of 'comedy' shows

That's really trying to find an excuse for their racism. It's that simple. Walliams and Lucas are Racists - exactly the same as Bernard Manning and other 'comics' who were bundled off the TV decades ago.

This is not clever stuff. It isn't The Young Ones or anything that was really different and mould breaking. It's simply crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    When they play White characters or men, is that racist and sexist to whites and men? If not, why the difference if they play other races or women?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    What "context and irony"?

I have no problems about someone blacking up but just wish it was funny.

The stereotypes are over-exaggerated and done in an ironic way

Its a terrible show though
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, and I don't give a flying yule log what the haters say, some just watch to criticise anyway... so to those who don't like it... your loss :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I agree, the Japanese schoolgirls were particularly offensive :(

There was no humour there at all, I don't understand they thought that would be funny. :confused:
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Some bits are funny but poor"
    "few laughs rest rubbish"
    "Some funny Sketches the rest shite" ETC ETC

Some people are liking some of the characters/sketches then saying whole programme is rubbish, christ make up your mind, It won't make everyone non-stop laugh for 30mins. If your getting a few laughs well it isn't bad then. Some people often I think copy others to fit in.

I have found it really funny in parts, couple characters disliked (Japanese and Photographers to note), Episode 1 was 7 or 8/10.
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

OK, let them dress up as Pakistanis and go around saying "Bud Bud Bud Oh Dearie Dearie Me". They wouldn't.

No doubt because they would be scared of a Fatwa.
    Dave Spikey does a good joke about that and it's true. They will have a go at everyone else but not Muslims. Because they will answer back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    When they play White characters or men, is that racist and sexist to whites and men? If not, why the difference if they play other races or women?

Exactly!

So is Reece Shearsmith a 'racist' for playing Papa Lazarou in League of Gentleman?
    NO!
    Because the character is over-exaggerated and people who can take a joke see it for what it is
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I randomly started watching this at 10 and was pleasantly surprised! Laughed all the way through! :D
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Lucas and Walliams are just not original comedians, they take other peoples ideas, water them down so they have no punch and sell them as their own.

This is a mix of The High Life mixed with Peter Kayes The Services.
    Yeah it's also a take on Airline but at least that is not meant to be comedy, but it is much funnier than this.

Little Britain was a poor copy of The League Of Gentlemen with any dark humour removed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    No doubt because they would be scared of a Fatwa.
    Dave Spikey does a good joke about that and it's true. They will have a go at everyone else but not Muslims. Because they will answer back.

How do you know that none of the characters were Muslim? For all we know, several of them could have been. Anyway, Four Lions made fun of Muslim characters.