Doctor Who: Kill the Moon - 04/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:30pm) Official Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I have to disagree. While new Who has certainly made the companions more important and almost made the Doctor their sidekick, Clara has really been put up on a pedestal more than any other companion.

Hardly, but she is approaching Rose proportions at this point - but this season has a Season 1 feel about it with the companions personal life driving the shows.

I am currently rewatching some season 1 episodes and Rose saves the day many times and the Dr is as grumpy and terse as Capaldi's plus the stories are self-contained and quite Earth bound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Lundvik was a bit too jaded for my liking. Norris could've done with brightening the character a little. None of her crew made an impression either.

Heck, they went there knowing they were going to die...how would you feel if you were on a suicide mission? You are hardly going to sing camp-fire songs and crack funnies are you?
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it until the Clara outburst at the end. It just seemed forced to me to create conflict.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Heck, they went there knowing they were going to die...how would you feel if you were on a suicide mission? You are hardly going to sing camp-fire songs and crack funnies are you?

Oddly enough, I think I probably would - gallows humour and all that. I'd probably have a major fit of the giggles if I discovered that the Earth was going to be destroyed by a space-chicken - a big laugh at everyone who wasted their lives recycling empty bog-rolls or building tanks.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough, I think I probably would - gallows humour and all that. I'd probably have a major fit of the giggles if I discovered that the Earth was going to be destroyed by a space-chicken - a big laugh at everyone who wasted their lives recycling empty bog-rolls or building tanks.

Or wore a suit to work.

I'm still giggling about the moon being an egg, so in their position I would probably be laughing my socks off.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Only average for me I'm afraid. Hate that Courtney child, why oh why don't they (the producers) learn from earlier mistakes, that introducing children into the Tardis is a mistake. How on earth is that girl now going to lead a normal life and as for becoming the USA President, come on, haven't they heard of the constitution, unless of course they change it. As for the moon being an egg, nope just unbelievable. Fair enough have a creature using the interior as a "nest" but being made of egg shell !. They could have blown a hole on the far side using one of the nukes, thus allowing the creature to escape, without destroying the whole moon. By the way why does a creature that lives in space require wings ? The rest was ok, the effects were good and the realisation of the moons surface was well done. Like others though, I thought Clara totally overreacted to the Doctor.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Chief wrote: »
    just plain old bad for me, as a viewer of a lot of science fiction series from here and across the pond DW is starting to look tired and cheap, the writing is also tired and cliché ridden and to be honest a lot of the time I think Stephen Moffat seems to be sat at his desk reading these scripts and laughing to himself about how clever he is especially when the fans don't notice the clues to the final episode cliffhanger.

the DW episodes this season are more and more falling into the 13 episode American model.
    1. let's have a story arc through the whole series but only give hints at the end of the episode.
    2. let's have red shirted security people we can kill off at will without worrying about them.
    3. let's have moralistic stories.
    4. let's not worry about the science bit in science fiction
    5. let's put really annoying characters in that will recur as the series progresses.
    6. let's make it obvious that a major character is going to leave at the end of the series.
    7. let's spend crap loads of money on 3 or 4 episodes and just fill the others with really bad CGI.

DW is now being made to a global formula for a global market, not just for the UK. Just watch the classic episodes on the horror channel to see the difference.

Having said all that I quite PC as the Doctor and JC as Clara it's the writing to that formula that's letting them down, where's the originality of "Blink" gone?

Great post.

Oh for a "Blink"! Proper, grown-up writing that was. And I'm still haunted by the episode with the kid in the gasmask going "Mummy".

Apart from "Into the Dalek", what I've been seeing week after week is what non-Who fans accuse it of being: a kid's show.

Daft lightweight entertainment is what I guess I'll have to accept instead :cry:
  • jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Does everyone think the Doctor was serious when he said Courtney would become US President? Maybe she could (if we became 51st state for example) or the US constitution changed.

My first impression was that the Doctor was jokingly making a point to Clara about Courtney and Clara's insistence on him telling Courtney "she's special." Who knows? Maybe if we see Courtney again with her destructive tendencies gone and she is totally focussed on her future we'll know for sure.

The other thing that occurs to me is that the Doctor knows more than we have seen onscreen - he knows someone ensured Clara got his number and that they met for lunch in episode one each thinking the other had placed the advert but it was the number giver. The Doctor knows someone is pulling strings behind the scenes and I'm now believing that the Doctor knew exactly who Orson Pink was when they met, who Danny Pink was before he met him and Danny's 'bad day story' and that Rupert Pink was young Danny.

I have a sneaking feeling we will see scenes of the Doctor from most episodes filling in some gaps when we get to the finale.

Just popped into my head - what if the woman Danny accidentally killed was Missy? Nah, surely not. :D
    Forum Member
    jodo wrote: »
    The other thing that occurs to me is that the Doctor knows more than we have seen onscreen - he knows someone ensured Clara got his number and that they met for lunch in episode one each thinking the other had placed the advert but it was the number giver. The Doctor knows someone is pulling strings behind the scenes and I'm now believing that the Doctor knew exactly who Orson Pink was when they met, who Danny Pink was before he met him and Danny's 'bad day story' and that Rupert Pink was young Danny.

I have a sneaking feeling we will see scenes of the Doctor from most episodes filling in some gaps when we get to the finale.

Exactly - but keep it to yourself or you get accused of thinking too hard/
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the latest episode. Am glad a clear majority enjoyed it and that for the week ending Sept 21 Doctor Who was 7th most popular programme. I find Capaldi's prickly performance most interesting but can see he will probably have to mellow a bit as time goes on before he alienates too many viewers. Would have liked the Moon to have had less gravity but can see that would have been prohibitively expensive. Still thought the Moon landscape was well done. This series going far too fast. Already half way through.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just popped into my head - what if the woman Danny accidentally killed was Missy? Nah, surely not. :D

I'm with you on this one about the Doctor knowing more than we (and Clara) are being told. I'm also not convinced he wasn't in the room when Clara, Lundvik and Courtney were making the big decision in KTM (but maybe that's my wild imagination and over thinking...). The idea of Danny killing Missy is very interesting....indeed.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Does everyone think the Doctor was serious when he said Courtney would become US President? Maybe she could (if we became 51st state for example) or the US constitution changed.

My first impression was that the Doctor was jokingly making a point to Clara about Courtney and Clara's insistence on him telling Courtney "she's special." Who knows? Maybe if we see Courtney again with her destructive tendencies gone and she is totally focussed on her future we'll know for sure.

I agree that the Doctor probably knows a lot more than we do. I was thinking about the 'stabilisers off the bike' line and wondering if we are building to a finale where Clara will have to make some massive decision without the Doctor and he knows that and this was all to prepare her for that.

But I think it's a mistake to create too much of a gap between what the Doctor knows and what the audience knows. It's distancing and it's really paternalistic - we are just supposed to trust that he knows what is everyone's best interests better than they do. I think that might be where it's going, but personally I hope it isn't.

One thing I didn't understand - when he was on the beach and he said about the humans travelling through space because of this event, he seemed sad to me, and regretful, as if that was a bad thing. But I don't always find Capaldi very easy to read as the Doctor. Did he seem sad to other people or just relieved?
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    ...I think it's a mistake to create too much of a gap between what the Doctor knows and what the audience knows. It's distancing and it's really paternalistic - we are just supposed to trust that he knows what is everyone's best interests better than they do.

One of the things I liked about the writing of the arcs in the first two Moffat series was that he revealed the arc as he went along - he didn't just pose more and more questions. The revelation that Amy had been kidnapped cleared up a load of stuff that the Doctor (and/or Moffat) knew and we didn't - Amy's phantom pregnancy in particular. The next week, it was River's parentage - then it was the that Madam K was still controlling River and so on and so forth,

So far this year - half way through the series and there's just a mishmash of themes and threads hanging everywhere. That might make a big Tada!!! finale but it's not engrossing in the way that the steady trickle of information and new questions was.
  • jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    One thing I didn't understand - when he was on the beach and he said about the humans travelling through space because of this event, he seemed sad to me, and regretful, as if that was a bad thing. But I don't always find Capaldi very easy to read as the Doctor. Did he seem sad to other people or just relieved?

My interpretation was that (thanks to Clara's intervention which ultimately was down to him) the 'pudding brains' made the right decision and will spread across the universe like a germ with shoes. Perhaps the sadness was the right decision coming from Clara and not the human race of 2049. I'm pretty sure he was watching everything and the Tardis was cloaked until the stop button pressed as that wasn't a 'proper' landing of the Tardis by any means.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interpretation was that (thanks to Clara's intervention which ultimately was down to him) the 'pudding brains' made the right decision and will spread across the universe like a germ with shoes. Perhaps the sadness was the right decision coming from Clara and not the human race of 2049. I'm pretty sure he was watching everything and the Tardis was cloaked until the stop button pressed as that wasn't a 'proper' landing of the Tardis by any means.

Same here Jodo. Especially when a metal grid flung itself perfectly into the window which had just smashed when they'd had a breach. I thought it may have been an automatic safety thing at first and then on second viewing I thought it may have been an unseen hand ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    flowerduck wrote: »
    Same here Jodo. Especially when a metal grid flung itself perfectly into the window which had just smashed when they'd had a breach. I thought it may have been an automatic safety thing at first and then on second viewing I thought it may have been an unseen hand ;-)

I thought the Doctor was there all the time and if Clara hadn't stopped the count down I believe he would have.

I felt he was trying to make Clara, the other two on board and the human race make a decent decision, but still felt that he would jump in and stop it if they had let it go on.

He has been to the end of time and had an idea which way it should go, probably just wanted the humans to make the right decision. Clara did - and he was happy to see that. Her reaction to him should make him rethink his taking her along so much.

Maybe he wants a companion capable of not always needing him to make all decisions she is capable of making for herself and learn to count on herself a bit more.
    Clara was given a tiny, tiny, tiny taste of the burden the Doctor carries all the time.
    She should appreciate him even more in my mind, as should we all.

Still cannot see Clara and Danny as a couple and wouldn't miss either of them now if left the series. Hope Courtney does not become the new companion full time or anything.

I also would like to see The Doctor be more like Capaldi was when he did the Leonardo documentary. Not all the time, but quietly remarkable and in control while explaining things.

The show was OK this week.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    if it merely broke apart like an egg shell, rather than forcibly exploded, gravity would eventually pull it back together again.

To be honest, that's what I expected to happen after the creature escaped. I totally thought gravity would pull all the broken pieces back together somehow. It would have felt a more scientifically justified ending than "baby lays new identical egg"...
    Forum Member
    To be honest, that's what I expected to happen after the creature escaped. I totally thought gravity would pull all the broken pieces back together somehow. It would have felt a more scientifically justified ending than "baby lays new identical egg"...

The source of "it laid a new egg" was a 14 year girl
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the episode apart from the 'everything sorts itself out' ending for the space thingy and Clara's rant.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a good episode ,it had tension,good acting,nice monster,a little scary which is rare for new Who. Just let down with ridiculous moon/egg conceit.

The Dr himself and his angry persona is wearing thin,he is showing no compassion,no warmth and I suspect there is a plot device as to why otherwise fans are going to get pis*ed off. Can't think what the plot device would be,so maybe the writers thought he usually plays pis*ed off characters so we'll do that.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Was a good episode ,it had tension,good acting,nice monster,a little scary which is rare for new Who. Just let down with ridiculous moon/egg conceit.

The Dr himself and his angry persona is wearing thin,he is showing no compassion,no warmth and I suspect there is a plot device as to why otherwise fans are going to get pis*ed off. Can't think what the plot device would be,so maybe the writers thought he usually plays pis*ed off characters so we'll do that.

I liked the episode up to a point. I thought it was nicely set on an alien landscape, hideous monster spider-things, and cold, uncaring humans. Oh, and I think the Doctor mentions "Bennet Oscillator", a reference to "Ark in Space"?

What I absolutely detested, was: 'the fairytale dragon flies away, but comes back to lay another Moon, and they all lived happily ever after.' What a crock of shit!
    Forum Member
    trilobite wrote: »
    I liked the episode up to a point. I thought it was nicely set on an alien landscape, hideous monster spider-things, and cold, uncaring humans. Oh, and I think the Doctor mentions "Bennet Oscillator", a reference to "Ark in Space"?

What I absolutely detested, was: 'the fairytale dragon flies away, but comes back to lay another Moon, and they all lived happily ever after.' What a crock of shit!

See post 469 - cos you're arguing with 14 year old girls :)
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a yo-yo

DOCTOR WHO Exclusive Inside Look at Kill The Moon…: http://youtu.be/alktdlAhH84
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    What a yo-yo
    DOCTOR WHO Exclusive Inside Look at Kill The Moon…: http://youtu.be/alktdlAhH84

Shoot me if you want but why can't he play the Doctor as himself - he's more Doctorish as Peter Capaldi than he is in the show