Worst song choices of the series

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been some obvious bad ones but I thought the worst one was Nicolo with just dance. He would have had no certain fanbase and to give him that songwas a bit suicidal.
  • ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Surprised no-one's mentioned Matt's tortuous performance of Katy Perry's Firework. Hardly the best song choice for someone with a gammy throat. Of course his massive fanbase ensured that he still won.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d.tugby wrote: »
    Probably Nicolo - Just Dance.

This.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie-Bewitched
    I wanna be like you-just awful.:eek:
    Mary-There youll be
    Belle Amie-Airplanes(so off key):o
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie - Bewitched
    Katie - We Are The Champions
    One Direction - Kids Of America
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely anything given to Aiden of course... destroyer of all music.

But beyond that Katie - and the Junglebook song...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay - I agree with you. Thriller especially, god he murdered that song. I'm nearly afraid to mention Aiden because everyone seems to just adore him on this thread. I also thought Come Together was a terrible choice for Matt, the vest was strange to say the least and the vocals were really bad, not his fault the song was just bad for him.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the entire Beatles week was diabolical throughout, there are so many interesting less obvious Beatles songs but all the choices lacked any wit and imagination
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of the songs were too big by far for the contestants to take on. Too many to mention really but notably more or less everything Aiden massacred and more or less everything Whacko mascaraed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    rbdcay - I agree with you. Thriller especially, god he murdered that song. I'm nearly afraid to mention Aiden because everyone seems to just adore him on this thread. I also thought Come Together was a terrible choice for Matt, the vest was strange to say the least and the vocals were really bad, not his fault the song was just bad for him.

No need to be scared it is perfectly alright to dislike Aiden's singing, most of his fans understand that he is Marmite or in my case tripe...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL @ rbdcay Tripe sums it up perfectly :-D.

I found his really intense thing very offputting, it looked like he was having a fit.

I think one of the worst song choices by the contetsants themselves was Please Don't Give Up On Me - Katie Waissel's bottom two song in Week 5.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have worked for her but I found Katie's sing off songs strange to say the least. I thought that the idea of the save me sone was to showcase your talent to the best possible extent (like Ruth blowing so many of us away with Purple Rain., not to stand there and plea "Save me"
    but just to music :)

I actually liked Katie and enjoyed a lot of her performances so I'm not having a dig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    LOL @ rbdcay Tripe sums it up perfectly :-D.

I found his really intense thing very offputting, it looked like he was having a fit.

I think one of the worst song choices by the contetsants themselves was Please Don't Give Up On Me - Katie Waissel's bottom two song in Week 5.

I think any of Katie's save me songs were the worst. They were all begging songs, She would make a great busker walking around with a hat and pleading for the money.

I think the X-factor was a parctice for this.

As for Aiden if I venture to give any more of an opinion of my dislike of him you might get an essay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't clocked you were not a fan of Aiden Grim Show. :p
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Purple Rain wasnt very good from TreyC I'm afraid - not as good as Ruth Lorenzo's amazing version.
  • Purves GrundyPurves Grundy Posts: 43,868
    Forum Member
    Louis' choices for Storm were terrible - "We Built this City" and "Baby We Were Born To Run". Add to that his absurd "makeover" that turned him into a glam rock Pokemon and cruel staging (exactly the same as Peter Kay's "Geraldine" spoof on the motorbike for "Baby we were born") for me made him the most screwed-over contestant of the series.
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Katie - Sex On Fire was probably the worst. She shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near that song.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Nicolo—Just Dance. Good song but terrible choice for him.
    Cher—Imagine. The most unCher song imaginable.
    Matt—Firework. Really didn't work for me, soz.
    Rebecca—Candle in the Wind. Too much baggage.
    Aiden—Thriller. Opened him up to so much criticism.
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm concerned with the exception of "A Song for You" (which imho was one of the performances of the series) all of John's song choices were poor.

However, I don't think I'll ever get over the shock of watching the mess they made of Thriller. I still can't believe that they honestly thought that arrangement and setting would work! :eek:
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicolo - Just Dance :( He had so much more potential than that.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louis' choices for Storm were terrible - "We Built this City" and "Baby We Were Born To Run". Add to that his absurd "makeover" that turned him into a glam rock Pokemon and cruel staging (exactly the same as Peter Kay's "Geraldine" spoof on the motorbike for "Baby we were born") for me made him the most screwed-over contestant of the series.

Storm was embarrassing himself long before Louis made matters worse
  • Purves GrundyPurves Grundy Posts: 43,868
    Forum Member
    Storm was embarrassing himself long before Louis made matters worse

Storm did frustrate me a little. He had a "LA self-help" persona which came off as fake since he was clearly feeling desperately ground down by his experience in the music industry. But this doesn't make him a bad person, and he didn't bitch about the other contestants (as did most of the rest!). And he does have a good voice (as Simon grudgingly admitted), the only off-par performance being his final "Born to Run" when his voice was knackered through a throat infection (which funnily enough was not mentioned on the show, unlike the "chosen ones" like Matt!). Louis' choices were so bad because they were not current, credible songs, "We Built this City" in particular being a prime slice of mid 80s Mullet-haired cheese rock. This played straight into the hands of Simon's "desperate, aging rocker" angle he used against him unfairly because the whole point of the X-factor is to give a chance to people like him who have had knock backs from the industry.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine for Cher. She completely destroyed that song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what she or anyone concerned was thinking when Treyc decided to take on Whole Lotta Love.

It maybe suggests that a critical percentage of voters voted with their groins instead of their ears and brains. Or maybe there's another explanation.

I think it suggests that there's a huge untapped market for Dollond & Aitchison out there.
    Me too! The short one actually had a good voice.

He hit less bum notes than any of the solo contestants.
    Laura(L) wrote: »
    Katie - we are the champions.

I like Katie but when you have a small voice, you do not take on Freddie Mercury.

I don't know what happened with Storm's voice. Even Simon said he wished he could superimpose his voice onto another contestant but for some reason on those two songs it just seemed to thin and reedy to pull them off.

The staging for Born To Run was absurd but I think I know exactly where they were going with the makeover and it was never going to work because Storm is simply not enough of a pretty boy to pull it off, so the poor guy came off looking ridiculous all round.
  • vaarthartvainvaarthartvain Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(all pretty much naff down to the judges . none play to the singers strenth . :(