Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    In professional life surgeons also become used to having other people perform tasks that require attention to detail in order to advance their tasks....sometimes to a pathological state...tie my shoes..wipe my brow..meet me in the on call room. Mike's efforts could have just fit into that category. He performed the task of rearranging the kitchen, something that Martin wouldn't do, but did it in such a fashion that he found it "good". Just another task that someone did for him and he accepted.

I agree that Martin would be used to having "subordinates" perform the more menial tasks, and would certainly expect a high degree of order and precision from them. I'm just not sure what you mean by "something that Martin wouldn't do" - could you expand on that?
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Martin would be used to having "subordinates" perform the more menial tasks, and would certainly expect a high degree of order and precision from them. I'm just not sure what you mean by "something that Martin wouldn't do" - could you expand on that?

Just that rearranging the kitchen isn't a task that he would waste his valuable time on doing....but if Mike felt a need to do it...it was alright with him. Nothing more complicated than that.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something new on Portwenn Online!

Chris Blair Hayden and Janet Setness were posting on FB a few months ago about how much they were enjoying watching Doc Martin music videos. I told them that I would love to have a page of them on the site but I didn't have the time to do the research. So they took the ball and ran with it. Over the last two months (while I was out of commission) they scoured the internet and came up with 192 videos!

So I have created a page with links to every one. During the discussions, we talked about the videos that fans have made of the filming in Port Isaac and I decided to make a page just for those. And then decided on a third page for the "Behind the Scenes" videos done by professional crews. These are videos that show us some of the closed sets and have cast interviews.

I put these last two pages together pretty quickly, so I'm guessing there are more out there that I didn't find. If you know of any (or run across any) videos for any of the three pages, please email the URL to me at portwennonline@yahoo.com.

All three pages can be accessed from the "Links" page. Have fun!

http://portwennonline.com/Links.html
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Just that rearranging the kitchen isn't a task that he would waste his valuable time on doing....but if Mike felt a need to do it...it was alright with him. Nothing more complicated than that.

Thanks for the clarification - that was my initial thought, but wanted to be sure.
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Something new on Portwenn Online!

Chris Blair Hayden and Janet Setness were posting on FB a few months ago about how much they were enjoying watching Doc Martin music videos. I told them that I would love to have a page of them on the site but I didn't have the time to do the research. So they took the ball and ran with it. Over the last two months (while I was out of commission) they scoured the internet and came up with 192 videos!

So I have created a page with links to every one. During the discussions, we talked about the videos that fans have made of the filming in Port Isaac and I decided to make a page just for those. And then decided on a third page for the "Behind the Scenes" videos done by professional crews. These are videos that show us some of the closed sets and have cast interviews.

I put these last two pages together pretty quickly, so I'm guessing there are more out there that I didn't find. If you know of any (or run across any) videos for any of the three pages, please email the URL to me at portwennonline@yahoo.com.

All three pages can be accessed from the "Links" page. Have fun!

http://portwennonline.com/Links.html

Oh, how fantastic! I was literally just thinking the other day that it would be useful to have a master list of the music videos, as I've stumbled across a few of which I am particularly fond, but knew there were many others out there. Many thanks for pulling this together.

And glad to see you back here, Shop Girl - hope you are recovering well :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    The New York Times today had a review of a memoir called A Curious Career, by a British journalist named Lynn Barber. The reviewer characterizes her as a “pugnacious interviewer” kind of akin to Barbara Walters.

The review was mainly positive, with laudatory phrases like “she can really write”, and “Ms. Barber’s interviews are prized because of her ability to seize on a telling detail and to not let go even If clubbed with a stick.”

But then there ‘s this: “The book has its soft spots. Some of the long profiles she reprints here haven’t aged especially well… two of these iffy longer pieces are of celebrities who aren’t well known in America, the actor Martin Clunes and the film director and restaurant critic Michael Winner. “

Aside: As an American, I’m appalled by the blatant ethnocentrism of this comment :( [uh, did someone say this book was supposed to be exclusively for Americans? And as far as “not well known” goes, dude, you clearly don’t know the right people :D].

But my curiosity is piqued! Unlike the great unwashed masses of Americans, I do know who MC is, :):):) but I don’t know anything about Lynn Barber. Can one of our British friends (or anyone who knows more about this than I do) expand, both on her and what (might have) happened in this interview?

I read in one online review that MC complained to her about other journalists, which admittedly may not have been the most judicious thing to do, but that’s third-hand information.

The full review is here – I think it’s accessible without a subscription or the like.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/books/a-curious-career-a-memoir-of-lynn-barbers-interviews.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias:w,{"2":"RI:12"}&_r=0
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    The Martin Clunes interview was probably included in the book because it is a good example of what Barber is known for doing. She has her subject mention a weakness and then manipulates him into a demonstration of the weakness. Martin Clunes says he has a temper but when he becomes angry, he extricates himself from the situation. She goaded Clunes into anger by bringing up his ex-wife, but he could not walk away because Barber was in his home and, as he stated, there is a symbiotic relationship between entertainers and the journalists who write about them.

Philippa probably offered to drive her to the station to smooth over Clunes' behavior, but he wouldn't allow it, which I found somewhat perverse

An interesting part of the interview was his desire to get other roles. I think seasons 5 and 6 and probably 7 of Doc Martin were crafted to showcase his dramatic skills and he performed well. Likely why he went after the Arthur and George book for his production company. It would be interesting if BP became something of a Merchant Ivory with MC rising to the level of Anthony Hopkins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Martin Clunes interview was probably included in the book because it is a good example of what Barber is known for doing. She has her subject mention a weakness and then manipulates him into a demonstration of the weakness. Martin Clunes says he has a temper but when he becomes angry, he extricates himself from the situation. She goaded Clunes into anger by bringing up his ex-wife, but he could not walk away because Barber was in his home and, as he stated, there is a symbiotic relationship between entertainers and the journalists who write about them.

Philippa probably offered to drive her to the station to smooth over Clunes' behavior, but he wouldn't allow it, which I found somewhat perverse

An interesting part of the interview was his desire to get other roles. I think seasons 5 and 6 and probably 7 of Doc Martin were crafted to showcase his dramatic skills and he performed well. Likely why he went after the Arthur and George book for his production company. It would be interesting if BP became something of a Merchant Ivory with MC rising to the level of Anthony Hopkins

She did goad him..in fact she claims to get great delight in taking a generally nice person and goad them into behaving like "monsters". To compare her to Barbara Walters is like comparing a dolphin to pond scum. I recall her goading had more to do with the general press and how they could pervert things he said to something that he obviously didn't mean. An example is the rubbish the Reader' Digest reporters generated about is second guessing some doctors and bringing Philippa home when she had abdominal pain. Being a physician myself I can almost tell you what happened...and he didn't think the Docs were incompetent or anything like that. The only thing that baffles me is that he wasn't informed about the type of reporter she was and he invited her and her photographer into his home,
    After how she manipulated him on his own welcoming turf was horrible. I don't blame him for making her wait for the cab. I can find a link to the interview and she was bad. We all have our weak and damaged spots and she goes for the jugular. It wasn't fair to do that in his own welcoming home...coffee and all. And I may be wrong but I'm not recalling any reference to Lucy Aston. She is no better than the National Enquirer.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    The New York Times today had a review of a memoir called A Curious Career, by a British journalist named Lynn Barber. The reviewer characterizes her as a “pugnacious interviewer” kind of akin to Barbara Walters.

The review was mainly positive, with laudatory phrases like “she can really write”, and “Ms. Barber’s interviews are prized because of her ability to seize on a telling detail and to not let go even If clubbed with a stick.”

But then there ‘s this: “The book has its soft spots. Some of the long profiles she reprints here haven’t aged especially well… two of these iffy longer pieces are of celebrities who aren’t well known in America, the actor Martin Clunes and the film director and restaurant critic Michael Winner. “

Aside: As an American, I’m appalled by the blatant ethnocentrism of this comment :( [uh, did someone say this book was supposed to be exclusively for Americans? And as far as “not well known” goes, dude, you clearly don’t know the right people :D].

But my curiosity is piqued! Unlike the great unwashed masses of Americans, I do know who MC is, :):):) but I don’t know anything about Lynn Barber. Can one of our British friends (or anyone who knows more about this than I do) expand, both on her and what (might have) happened in this interview?

I read in one online review that MC complained to her about other journalists, which admittedly may not have been the most judicious thing to do, but that’s third-hand information.

The full review is here – I think it’s accessible without a subscription or the like.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/books/a-curious-career-a-memoir-of-lynn-barbers-interviews.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias:w,{"2":"RI:12"}&_r=0

You might be interested in reading this about her: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13bc823e-d505-11e3-9187-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3ISR1az9P

And she's worked at several papers, and started out working for Penthouse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You might be interested in reading this about her: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13bc823e-d505-11e3-9187-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3ISR1az9P

And she's worked at several papers, and started out working for Penthouse.

Thank you, Susie and everyone :)

The Penthouse interview with Dali was pretty funny. But aside from that, after reading that article and poking around the Internet some more, I get the picture. Definitely not my type of person, but plenty of people obviously like her. The full interview is online but it seems you have to have a subscription to the Times. I'm not sure I need to read it; my blood pressure is high enough.

Momfromco, in your comparison is Barbara Walters the dolphin?? I have to confess, that image has never occurred to me. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Penthouse interview with Dali was pretty funny. But aside from that, after reading that article and poking around the Internet some more, I get the picture. Definitely not my type of person, but plenty of people obviously like her. The full interview is online but it seems you have to have a subscription to the Times. I'm not sure I need to read it; my blood pressure is high enough.

Momfromco, in your comparison is Barbara Walters the dolphin?? I have to confess, that image has never occurred to me. :)

Dolphins are highly evolved and are gifted with intelligence. She does a damn good interview, that's all...as opposed to pond scum who report that he removed his wife from hospital because he thought he was Doc Martin. Who makes up this crap?
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished the autobiography of Craig Ferguson which he wrote in 2009. He has had quite a life with many failures along the way. He was an alcoholic and addicted to drugs, but somehow he found successes. I will concentrate on the origin of Saving Grace. He was writing screen plays at the time, and a producer friend of his was looking for a writer to collaborate with him on a project. That person was Mark Crowdy. Crowdy found a local news story in his native Cornwall about a respectable woman who had been convicted of growing marijuana in her greenhouse to escape financial difficulties. He thought it might be a t.v. show. Crowdy met Ferguson to collaborate on a script. There was no money in it at that time, but Crowdy said if the film was made he would get paid. As Ferguson didn't have anything else to do he agreed. They worked on the first draft for 6 weeks in Los Angeles. Crowdy then went off to London to raise money for production which was no easy task. Since it was set in Britain he would have a better chance of getting it financed there. Brenda Blethyn expressed an interest in playing the lead. The movie premiered in New York and Los Angeles and turned into something of a hit. In the book Ferguson makes no mention of Martin Clunes. I was sort of taken back, but upon rewatching the dvd I realized what a tiny part he had in it. He was Dr. Bamford--but the acting :( By the time the two Doc Martin movies came out prior to the famous DM series, Clunes defined the role better and well, you know the rest of the story. I would have thought that as the book was published in 2009, probably the 4th series of DM was completed, but there was no mention of what happened from that early script by Ferguson.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I just finished the autobiography of Craig Ferguson which he wrote in 2009. He has had quite a life with many failures along the way. He was an alcoholic and addicted to drugs, but somehow he found successes. I will concentrate on the origin of Saving Grace. He was writing screen plays at the time, and a producer friend of his was looking for a writer to collaborate with him on a project. That person was Mark Crowdy. Crowdy found a local news story in his native Cornwall about a respectable woman who had been convicted of growing marijuana in her greenhouse to escape financial difficulties. He thought it might be a t.v. show. Crowdy met Ferguson to collaborate on a script. There was no money in it at that time, but Crowdy said if the film was made he would get paid. As Ferguson didn't have anything else to do he agreed. They worked on the first draft for 6 weeks in Los Angeles. Crowdy then went off to London to raise money for production which was no easy task. Since it was set in Britain he would have a better chance of getting it financed there. Brenda Blethyn expressed an interest in playing the lead. The movie premiered in New York and Los Angeles and turned into something of a hit. In the book Ferguson makes no mention of Martin Clunes. I was sort of taken back, but upon rewatching the dvd I realized what a tiny part he had in it. He was Dr. Bamford--but the acting :( By the time the two Doc Martin movies came out prior to the famous DM series, Clunes defined the role better and well, you know the rest of the story. I would have thought that as the book was published in 2009, probably the 4th series of DM was completed, but there was no mention of what happened from that early script by Ferguson.

Thanks for this, Marchrand. Although I can almost never stay up late enough to watch his talk show, I really do like Craig Ferguson a lot. He seems like a decent and smart guy and very witty. I have wondered about his relations with Martin Clunes. Some friends had a small campaign going to get Craig to invite Martin Clunes to his show, which went exactly nowhere.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good choice. It's actually rather disconcerting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark - Good to hear from you again. After reading the book I have a different concept of Ferguson. He came from extremely poor beginnings in Scotland, tried his luck in England and found that the United States was where his successes came about. I have stayed up late on a handful of occasions and seen his show, but it's on at 12:30 A.M. Some of his interviews have been quite good. His late show is going to be cancelled at the end of the year, I believe, and he is not taking over for David Letterman. He does have a quiz show type of program on a minor tv station, but it doesn't appeal to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark - Good to hear from you again. After reading the book I have a different concept of Ferguson. He came from extremely poor beginnings in Scotland, tried his luck in England and found that the United States was where his successes came about. I have stayed up late on a handful of occasions and seen his show, but it's on at 12:30 A.M. Some of his interviews have been quite good. His late show is going to be cancelled at the end of the year, I believe, and he is not taking over for David Letterman. He does have a quiz show type of program on a minor tv station, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I have always wondered about the Craig Ferguson issue and if their were any "sour grapes" hanging around. The original Martin Bamford character was his creation and although it has evolved into something totally different it has become a multimillion dollar franchise. My sincere hope is that the rights to the character were purchased for a fair price and not under duress. If Mr. Ferguson now sees it as being ripped off (which is what I suspect) he should never had sold the rights in the first place. Should be water under the bridge, but I sense bad blood. Just my opinion.

We'll never know..it's their business.
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member

Craig Ferguson has done well financially and has a higher net worth than Martin Clunes

BP may not have paid much for Martin Bamford character as he is so dissimilar from the Doc Martin character created by Dominic Minghella
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig Ferguson has done well financially and has a higher net worth than Martin Clunes

BP may not have paid much for Martin Bamford character as he is so dissimilar from the Doc Martin character created by Dominic Minghella

That's precisely the point....in 1999 they pay whatever thousand pounds for the rights to the Martin Bamford character and morph him into Doc Martin, which is now worth multiple millions of pounds.

I read an article, which I could possibly dig up in which Mr. Ferguson said, "I do not watch "Doc Martin". The only thing I see is when those checks come in the mail and I like that."

Sounds a little cross to me....I don't know but it is really irrelevant. Just regret that an interview with Martin Clunes on Craig Ferguson could have been brilliant.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She did goad him..in fact she claims to get great delight in taking a generally nice person and goad them into behaving like "monsters". To compare her to Barbara Walters is like comparing a dolphin to pond scum. I recall her goading had more to do with the general press and how they could pervert things he said to something that he obviously didn't mean. An example is the rubbish the Reader' Digest reporters generated about is second guessing some doctors and bringing Philippa home when she had abdominal pain. Being a physician myself I can almost tell you what happened...and he didn't think the Docs were incompetent or anything like that. The only thing that baffles me is that he wasn't informed about the type of reporter she was and he invited her and her photographer into his home,
    After how she manipulated him on his own welcoming turf was horrible. I don't blame him for making her wait for the cab. I can find a link to the interview and she was bad. We all have our weak and damaged spots and she goes for the jugular. It wasn't fair to do that in his own welcoming home...coffee and all. And I may be wrong but I'm not recalling any reference to Lucy Aston. She is no better than the National Enquirer.
    He knew who Lynn Barber is before the interview. She is well known in England. The movie "An Education" was based on her autobiography.

As I recall he began to get testy when he started complaining about a newspaper she once worked for. It was an incident that happened when he and his sister were selling their mother's house after she passed away. They lowered the price by 50K BP and her newspaper wrote that it was lowered 500K BP (or something like that). She feigned ignorance and said it must have been a mistake. MC clearly thought it was not a "mistake", rather an annoying and hurtful joke. There was testiness on both sides from the start of the interview.

She had come on the DM Facebook pages and asked us to tweet her DM questions and she would ask some of them. She didn't ask any DM questions and a lot of us were annoyed with that. I tweeted her complaining that she took us for chumps and exploited us fans. She tweeted me back and said he wouldn't talk about DM. If you're on twitter, I used this hashtag in my tweet. #howsthatbagofriceworkingforyou. That whole part of the interview was very funny.

This is all old news to long-time fans, but I'm sharing it for those who might not have been fans back when the article came out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    He knew who Lynn Barber is before the interview. She is well known in England. The movie "An Education" was based on her autobiography.

As I recall he began to get testy when he started complaining about a newspaper she once worked for. It was an incident that happened when he and his sister were selling their mother's house after she passed away. They lowered the price by 50K BP and her newspaper wrote that it was lowered 500K BP (or something like that). She feigned ignorance and said it must have been a mistake. MC clearly thought it was not a "mistake", rather an annoying and hurtful joke. There was testiness on both sides from the start of the interview.

She had come on the DM Facebook pages and asked us to tweet her DM questions and she would ask some of them. She didn't ask any DM questions and a lot of us were annoyed with that. I tweeted her complaining that she took us for chumps and exploited us fans. She tweeted me back and said he wouldn't talk about DM. If you're on twitter, I used this hashtag in my tweet. #howsthatbagofriceworkingforyou. That whole part of the interview was very funny.

This is all old news to long-time fans, but I'm sharing it for those who might not have been fans back when the article came out.

Thank you, dcdmfan. It was new to me. Love that hashtag :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am in London for the next few weeks and saw Nativity 3 yesterday afternoon. Martin Clunes was barely recognizeable except for his voice. My 4 year old daughter liked the singing and dancing which is the appeal of the movie. I understand that it is an honor to star in the movie as it means you have arrived in popular culture in England. Good for MC.
    From an adult perspective, the movie was similar to other entertaining children movies, but didn't have the appeal to parents found in "Frozen." See it with a child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in London for the next few weeks and saw Nativity 3 yesterday afternoon. Martin Clunes was barely recognizeable except for his voice. My 4 year old daughter liked the singing and dancing which is the appeal of the movie. I understand that it is an honor to star in the movie as it means you have arrived in popular culture in England. Good for MC.
    From an adult perspective, the movie was similar to other entertaining children movies, but didn't have the appeal to parents found in "Frozen." See it with a child.

I'm sorry the movie made you cross. Was Martin unrecognizable because of hie weight loss?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it was known that MC would be taking the role of Arthur Conan Doyle in Arthur and George, I read the book by Julian Barnes, said book being quite wordy, but it did spark my interest in ACD to read more about this Renaissance Man. Not only did he write some 72 Sherlock Holmes stores, he was a boxer, football player, golfer, and engaged in other sports as well. He served aboard a whaler in the Artic; introduced skiing in Switzerland; set up a practice as an eye surgeon in London, served England in 3 wars, wrote historical novels, perfected the modern detective story and created the most famous detective story who ever followed a clue. The aforesaid I learned from a book "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, A Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" by James Playstead Wood published in 1965 which I found in the young adult section of my local library. I didn't want to read a long, lengthy book about ACD (of which there are many) but was curious to know more about him. This book is only 174 pages long.

What I am getting at is if Arthur and George is a success when it will shortly be presented on British TV, I wonder of MC would explore other scripts about ACD and entertain doing more films about his life.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it was known that MC would be taking the role of Arthur Conan Doyle in Arthur and George, I read the book by Julian Barnes, said book being quite wordy, but it did spark my interest in ACD to read more about this Renaissance Man. Not only did he write some 72 Sherlock Holmes stores, he was a boxer, football player, golfer, and engaged in other sports as well. He served aboard a whaler in the Artic; introduced skiing in Switzerland; set up a practice as an eye surgeon in London, served England in 3 wars, wrote historical novels, perfected the modern detective story and created the most famous detective story who ever followed a clue. The aforesaid I learned from a book "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, A Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" by James Playstead Wood published in 1965 which I found in the young adult section of my local library. I didn't want to read a long, lengthy book about ACD (of which there are many) but was curious to know more about him. This book is only 174 pages long.

What I am getting at is if Arthur and George is a success when it will shortly be presented on British TV, I wonder of MC would explore other scripts about ACD and entertain doing more films about his life.

Forgive my apparent obnoxiousness, but as a Sherlockian (and on Sherlock Holmes email lists, not, mind you Benedict Cumberbatch, I am not a huge fan of that series), let me please gently correct you that Conan Doyle wrote only 60 Sherlock Holmes stories. I encourage you to read biographies of this fascinating man. I've read nearly 20 of them! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Forgive my apparent obnoxiousness, but as a Sherlockian (and on Sherlock Holmes email lists, not, mind you Benedict Cumberbatch, I am not a huge fan of that series), let me please gently correct you that Conan Doyle wrote only 60 Sherlock Holmes stories. I encourage you to read biographies of this fascinating man. I've read nearly 20 of them! ;-)

I took my information from the slim book I read "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, etc." mentioned above. Thanks, Mona, for correcting me. I'm looking forward to your post after you view Arthur and George with MC.
This discussion has been closed.