Options

EE: Has BK and EE writers now gone too far?!?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,071
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The New Years' Eve episode when Ronnie loses her child and swaps it for Kat's was previewed to the press last night, and it seems that a lot of commentators are saying that they have gone too far to show such a harrowing episode, especially at 8pm and over the festive period.

A reporter from The Sun who he watched it has even written that scenes in it 'seem designed to cause the maximum upset, with camera angles maximising the horror- all in high definition.' She also says that BK has the subtlety of a bulldozer.

Also Bryan Kirkwood has apparently tried to defend the episode by saying that it also shows community spirit with Alfie dancing around the paino.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1340685/EastEnders-shocking-New-Years-episode-depict-cot-death.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3313391/Enders-boss-hails-grim-festive-plot.html

IMO BK and the EE writers have definitely gone too far with this storyline. I understand that cot death does happen in real life and they try to show real life situations but it is wrong from them to show it during the Christmas period just to try and boost ratings. Also I think it's wrong to have it happen to Ronnie who has already lost her daughter (arguably twice), a grandchild and had a miscarriage (and that's before you get in to all the other stuff like her father raping her and her mother walking out on her). And thirdly to have Ronnie swap the babies is totally wrong. I don't doubt that the EE writers have tried to make it believable by writing in well constructed reasons why no one will notice the swap, but it is one step too far.

I can only conclude from what BK has said about this episode that he expects the backlash and record complaints about it but that he's glad people will be talking about EE again.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    The reviews make it sound really horrific however I can't see why EastEnders would go down the route of wanting record complaints because in the end all it will achieve is a dumbed down EE on life support, being too scared to do anything out of fear the same thing will happen again.

Kirkwood might have just killed EastEnders.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the DM readers are up in arms wanting the soap actually cancelled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason, wrote: »
    The reviews make it sound really horrific however I can't see why EastEnders would go down the route of wanting record complaints because in the end all it will achieve is a dumbed down EE on life support, being too scared to do anything out of fear the same thing will happen again.

Kirkwood might have just killed EastEnders.

Well DS got a wrap over the knuckles for some of his episodes. I believe it was the one where Jay's gangsters fight in the Vic and where Tanya buries Max.

The gangster one was because of the violence but the one where Tanya buries Max surely must have been because it was inappropraite at that time of the evening, and I can't imagine this NYE episode being less upsetting to watch than that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Yes its concerning that a group of people are already planning to flood ofcom. I am now deeply concerned for the show. It is the show at the end of the day which will feel the force of the fallout. No one else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

You'll always get some people who don't really watch EE and want it cancelled, but I watch it and I like the drama it shows at Christmas, but this I fear will actually make me feel ill and be extremely harrowing to watch. That is why I think the EE team may have gone too far.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    budge9 wrote: »
    You'll always get some people who don't really watch EE and want it cancelled, but I watch it and I like the drama it shows at Christmas, but this I fear will actually make me feel ill and be extremely harrowing to watch. That is why I think the EE team may have gone too far.

Well im an avid EE watcher (hubby hates them and never wants to watch). However im not watching this Xmas. Since the tram crash ive moved over to Corrie
  • Options
    ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wait to see what the actual episode has in store before jumping to a conclusion.

We all know what Murdoch's trash is like. The episode is sensitive, it will attract complaints, but someone is going to be offended or affected nor matter what you do.
  • Options
    Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I hope there isn't too many complaints. :eek: EastEnders as we have always known it might be about to end if its forced to dumb down :( they may as well just cancel it if this is what the BBC are forced into doing.
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    budge9 wrote: »

If you feel the subject is distasteful, don't watch it. Sadly, cot death happens every day, to people from every walk of life - I don't see why Eastenders should refuse to tackle a subject that affects thousands of parents.

Besides, the same subject was covered by the show in 1985, when Sue and Ali Osman's baby Hassan also died in his sleep. There was no similar outcry then.

Instead of condemning the episode before it has even aired, perhaps it would be wiser to reserve judgement until after it has actually been broadcast.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    ManOfEast wrote: »
    I'd wait to see what the actual episode has in store before jumping to a conclusion.

We all know what Murdoch's trash is like. The episode is sensitive, it will attract complaints, but someone is going to be offended or affected nor matter what you do.

Good point actually. It's no secret that Murdoch won't be happy until the BBC has been dismantled - and preferably sold on to him at knock-down prices. So yeah, he's not likely to be too reluctant to let his papers stir up a bit of hate for their flagship soap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail hates the BBC and of course hates EE as it is their flagship show.

With regards to the comments on the DM website, their sort always say they want EE axed. No change there.

The press in this country are largely against EE, they always have been ever since the day after the first episode aired back in 1985 they were tearing the show to shreds.

I don't need some metroplitan fleet street journo's telling me what I should or shouldn't watch. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good point actually. It's no secret that Murdoch won't be happy until the BBC has been dismantled - and preferably sold on to him at knock-down prices. So yeah, he's not likely to be too reluctant to let his papers stir up a bit of hate for their flagship soap.

Look at the Jonathan Ross thing. Its a snowball effect. Big Brother too after the racism fiasco.

Its going to get thousands and thousands of complaints. Many will come from people who don't watch as well.

If EastEnders is forced to change off the back of complaints then it will be a very sad day for freedom of drama. EastEnders may as well end if it can't continue to tell storylines in the manner it always has. I remember Sue holding her dead son in close up shot several times. I wonder how many complained about that?
  • Options
    Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish EE would just move to 9 o'clock and be done with it. I have little truck with the OFCOM complainers, but they do have a point about it being pre-watershed and if EE moved they wouldn't have a leg left to stand on. The situation as it is now means that they won't stop until they've forced a complete sanitization of the show, and that WILL will mean the end of it as others have already pointed out. :(
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders way back to the early days in fact it may have been the first eyar Easties went out on air there was a cot death storyline featuring Sue and Ali Osman and their baby Hassan. It was surperbly acted. Harrowing scenes as well.
    Its not so much this forthcoming storyline about Ronnie's baby dying of cot death. Its the fact that she swops her dead child for Kat Slaters new born baby boy.
    I feel if it was just a cot death I don't think the viwers would mind so much tragic but it does happen. its the storyline of swoping the two babies. That I find in bad taste.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not having a go at EE, but this much realism really doesn't sound suitable for the time slot, especially seeing as kids will be watching
  • Options
    RockbirdRockbird Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Sadly, cot death happens every day, to people from every walk of life.....

Not at one day old. It is almost unheard of to lose a child to cot death before 4 weeks.
    Besides, the same subject was covered by the show in 1985, when Sue and Ali Osman's baby Hassan also died in his sleep. There was no similar outcry then.

You cannot compare the two. I've recently watched the Osman story on youtube although I remember it at the time. It was an amazingly powerful, realistic, heartbreaking piece of television. They didn't feel the need for close ups of dead babies, or for Sue to dump her dead child and waltz off with a replacement. The writers really ought to go back and watch those episodes.

And no, I won't be watching it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders way back to the early days in fact it may have been the first eyar Easties went out on air there was a cot death storyline featuring Sue and Ali Osman and their baby Hassan. It was surperbly acted. Harrowing scenes as well.
    Its not so much this forthcoming storyline about Ronnie's baby dying of cot death. Its the fact that she swops her dead child for Kat Slaters new born baby boy. I feel if it was just a cot death I don't think the viwers would mind so much tragic but it does happen. its the storyline of swoping the two babies. That I find in bad taste.

QFT:)
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockbird wrote: »
    Not at one day old. It is almost unheard of to lose a child to cot death before 4 weeks.

You cannot compare the two. I've recently watched the Osman story on youtube although I remember it at the time. It was an amazingly powerful, realistic, heartbreaking piece of television. They didn't feel the need for close ups of dead babies, or for Sue to dump her dead child and waltz off with a replacement. The writers really ought to go back and watch those episodes.

And no, I won't be watching it.

I totally agree with you. being an Easties fan right from Feb 1985 I saw the episodes of Sue and Ali losing their baby to a cot death and it was moving harrowing as well but there were never any close ups of the baby Hassan. His face was never shown.
    I loved Easties in the early days, The storylines the actors it was always superb. I really feel over the past years that the whole soap is a shadow of its former glory days. But that is only my opinion.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    What's disburbing about this plot than say a child getting abused or murders? Seems to be alot of hypocirital nonsense on this board.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disgusting storyline, unrealistic and totally out of place for a soap shown at 7:30pm.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    What's disburbing about this plot than say a child getting abused or murders? Seems to be alot of hypocirital nonsense on this board.

You don't see the child being abused

Whereas viewers will be treated to views of a lifeless baby and Kat in a blood covered bed (according to the Daily Mail) it sounds waaaaaaaaay to graphic for a pre-watershed show
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »

nothing wrong with a cot death storyline, but to sensationalise it by having Ronnie swap the babies over is truly disgusting and basically making a mockery of a serious and disturbing event for hundreds of parents.
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally see nothing wrong with EE doing the cot death storyline. EE should not shy away from it. It is hard hitting but it is true to life and EE shines at those things.
    It seems like the cot death in itslef is not realisistc though, because it happens in a day old baby. Apparently cot death doesn't happen to babies that little.

However I think they shouldn’t have gone for the swap. It is that aspect of the storyline that for me is over the top and sensationalist.
    And Ronnie is the wrong character to have a child die again. That part too is over the top.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    You don't see the child being abused

Whereas viewers will be treated to views of a lifeless baby and Kat in a blood covered bed (according to the Daily Mail) it sounds waaaaaaaaay to graphic for a pre-watershed show
    The imagination is a powerful tool when it comes to stuff like this. Just look at the effect the Blair Witch Project (I think it sucked) had on people of that ending.

There's really no need for graphic footage if it is true.
    mrellis33 wrote: »
    nothing wrong with a cot death storyline, but to sensationalise it by having Ronnie swap the babies over is truly disgusting and basically making a mockery of a serious and disturbing event for hundreds of parents.
    That's a good thing to show stuff like this. I don't mean a good thing in real life. But maybe this storyline will kick up the security in hospitals in the future if it sparks loads of discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it an unbelieveable storyline that they don't need to do to Ronnie - am I the only one thinking it would be quite nice to let her have her baby and be happy for a while?