Options

SNP watch

MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the same vein as the UKIP watch thread, I propose this one to keep an eye on what the SNP are up to. For good or bad.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that the most common interviewe is young Ms Black. I can see herself and Salmond being interviewed most, in the hope they will say something daft.
    The brand new SNP MP (a former Tory did ok pn Panorama, better than angry Dan Snow -worrying about some people who work on his estate voting for the SNP?)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    In the same vein as the UKIP watch thread, I propose this one to keep an eye on what the SNP are up to. For good or bad.

Copy cat.;):D

No. Seriously. All the best with your party's thread.:)
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice that the most common interviewe is young Ms Black. I can see herself and Salmond being interviewed most, in the hope they will say something daft.
    The brand new SNP MP (a former Tory did ok pn Panorama, better than angry Dan Snow -worrying about some people who work on his estate voting for the SNP?)

So far every SNP MP I have seen has stayed remarkably on message to a degree rarely seen in other parties.

How long they can keep this up will be interesting and given the influx of new members who must be predominantly left of traditional members I wonder how long it will be before cracks start to appear and these members start demanding actual left wing policies.

That said I am impressed with the fact that the majority of these new MPs are not career politicians and the majority have life experiences in varied fields.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    This is going to be a struggle, as we all know from their unwavering deviation from the script supporters, the SNP are chaste, pure and just and can walk on water.

Given the hysteria shown by some on the UKIP watch thread, however insignificant the story, I'll kick us off with an insignificant story.

The SNP-supporting 'cybernat' who trolled JK Rowling
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    This is going to be a struggle, as we all know from their unwavering deviation from the script supporters, the SNP are chaste, pure and just and can walk on water.

Given the hysteria shown by some on the UKIP watch thread, however insignificant the story, I'll kick us off with an insignificant story.

Lol. He got a photograph with Eck at a book signing. If that is the best the Fail can come up with.....
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Troll exposed as a shop worker once pictured with Alex Salmond'

That 's as damning as you will get.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jeezus, that's the barrel scraped real early in the thread. I thought that SNP watch would be as the OP said, to "keep an eye on what the SNP are up to."

If a Man Utd fan get's caught p*ssing in the street, should that be worthy of inclusion on the clubs' discussion thread?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Shame Vernon can't help himself. Decent thread instantly derailed by nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter.

Will stick a report on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's pretty clear that I am just emulating the stuff poured into the UKIP Watch thread, however small and insignificant, hence why I posted a small and insignificant story I.e.. I'm being sarcastic to those displaying legendary levels of hyperbole in that thread.

If you just want glorious stories of triumph and success posted in here, then prepare to be sorely disappointed. Run along and tell teacher though, as it says more about you than it does me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's pretty clear that I am just emulating the stuff poured into the UKIP Watch thread, however small and insignificant. If you just want glorious stories of triumph and success posted in here, then prepare to be sorely disappointed. Run along and tell teacher though, as it says more about you than it does me.

I think the OP wanted stories about the SNP not some random who got a photo with Eck at a book signing.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    It's pretty clear that I am just emulating the stuff poured into the UKIP Watch thread, however small and insignificant, hence why I posted a small and insignificant story I.e.. I'm being sarcastic.

If you just want glorious stories of triumph and success posted in here, then prepare to be sorely disappointed. Run along and tell teacher though, as it says more about you than it does me.

Couldn't give a toss about the UKIP thread (although we can now see where you come from). Would just be nice to keep this thread to what the SNP MPs, and party, itself is doing, whether that be good or bad. Not to have it derailed by your usual ramblings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty clear that I am just emulating the stuff poured into the UKIP Watch thread, however small and insignificant, hence why I posted a small and insignificant story I.e.. I'm being sarcastic to those displaying legendary levels of hyperbole in that thread.

That's the second mistake you've made today. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brawlad wrote: »
    I think the OP wanted stories about the SNP not some random who got a photo with Eck at a book signing.

Which is exactly my point about the UKIP watch thread. I thought you got it completely in your first reply, but now seem to be toeing the line now the faithful have chimed in.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm willing to bet all eyes will be on her facebook / twitter accounts (if she has them), just ready for a slip up or comment, which will be batted off with the usual "my account was hacked".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is exactly my point about the UKIP watch thread. I thought you got it completely in your first reply, but now seem to be toeing the line now the faithful have chimed in.

So you posted a comment about UKIP in a thread about the SNP, using a story not about the SNP.

You seem a tad confused about how this whole thread/discussion stuff works. :D
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It said on the news 35 of the 56 were running in their first election? That seems like a lot of inexperience when up against a Tory majority and making big promises about ending austerity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm willing to bet all eyes will be on her facebook / twitter accounts (if she has them), just ready for a slip up or comment, which will be batted off with the usual "my account was hacked".

She does have twitter apparently (I don't do twitter or Facebook myself), whether it's the same account or not I am not sure. I would think she's been well warned about social media use. Depends if she can stick to the party line.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

I agree. She will be watched heavily (not least by those on here who are obsessed with being anti-SNP) and anything said that even approaches undignified will be pored over. She's a target because of her age and party and combative nature of speaking. If she was a Labour or Tory MP then she'd be hailed as a great example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It said on the news 35 of the 56 were running in their first election? That seems like a lot of inexperience when up against a Tory majority and making big promises about ending austerity.

Everybody's got to start somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member

They promised to try to oppose it not to stop it. They can't end austerity as they don't draft the budget. They can add their votes on individual bills and hope that this is sometimes enough the defeat the government if other parties also oppose.

In the same way they oppose Trident but no-one voting for them expects them to as they will be outvoted by Tory + Labour + others. They will individually (or more likely as a group) be votes and voices opposing these things but they won't have a hope on most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They promised to try to oppose it not to stop it. They can't end austerity as they don't draft the budget. They can add their votes on individual bills and hope that this is sometimes enough the defeat the government if other parties also oppose.

Sturgeon was never done saying how they would end austerity. Really they thought they would get to control Ed like a puppet but their zeal for power has only pushed people towards the Tories leaving them with sitting on the opposition benches for 5 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sturgeon was never done saying how they would end austerity. Really they thought they would get to control Ed like a puppet but their zeal for power has only pushed people towards the Tories leaving them with sitting on the opposition benches for 5 years.

She offered to back Labour over the Tories and was rebuffed. That was her only play as regards having any role in government (concessions in policy).

Therefore she hasn't the MPs (and never could have) to end anything. All she can do is back or oppose each policy and hope on some issues she finds her MPs on the winning side. That's unlikely on the issues I can see them opposing such as economic policy (I think Labour will move right and back most) and defence (Tory and many others want to scale up).

There is a difference between being opposed to something and being in a position to end or control it. I never voted SNP thinking anything different. I voted for them to hopefully have an MP at Westminster opposed to certain things - not because I thought they had the power to write policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biDKnlpUQMU
    This is typical to many short interviews she has given.
    "I will continue to campaign to end austerity..."

Not - "I will end austerity..."

Your post has a hint of Worzel Gummidge about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think we all got it but the points made still stand :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She offered to back Labour over the Tories and was rebuffed. That was her only play as regards having any role in government (concessions in policy).

Therefore she hasn't the MPs (and never could have) to end anything. All she can do is back or oppose each policy and hope on some issues she finds her MPs on the winning side. That's unlikely on the issues I can see them opposing such as economic policy (I think Labour will move right and back most) and defence (Tory and many others want to scale up).

There is a difference between being opposed to something and being in a position to end or control it. I never voted SNP thinking anything different. I voted for them to hopefully have an MP at Westminster opposed to certain things - not because I thought they had the power to write policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biDKnlpUQMU
    This is typical to many short interviews she has given.
    "I will continue to campaign to end austerity..."

Not - "I will end austerity..."

Your post has a hint of Worzel Gummidge about it.

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2015/may/sturgeon-48-hours-end-austerity

Hope you won't accuse the source of any bias. She was promising something thinking she would get in a deal with Labour. A bit like the referendum promising things they knew had little chance of happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem Angus Robertson is to be reinstated as group leader at Westminster. So Salmond hasn't been given the job.
This discussion has been closed.