Options

Internet through phone speed?

Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
Forum Member
Hello. Finally have this set up. Payasyougo sim on tmobile and £1 for 24hours. I know this isnt allowed by them but i could do with a payandgo mobile internet for every now and again (bout 2x a month) Whats the speed supposed to be normally? i thought it would be a ok' speed. a speed test on ZDNet came back as 33kbps.

Comments

• Options
    Radio Ga-GaRadio Ga-Ga Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    What was you expecting? Phones aren't that big.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It depends on your phone (GPRS, 3G etc etc). For GPRS the theoretical maximum is well over 100kb/s in practice though you'll be lucky to get 56K speeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I have a Vario 2 on tmobile and I get around 1.1mbps.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Is that HSDPA?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im on T-Mobile and have a Samsung D900. I just use the pc studio and selected tmobile and it connected. Rang a number lke **99*909 (not exactly like that but in a way)

I have used this with o2 pm and get speeds of aroung 440kbps.

When i ring 150 it mentions something like dont pay anything more than £1 for GPRS web&walk and something else.
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    Is that HSDPA?

Yes most likely - in the next few months the speed is likely to increase 100%.
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't Vodafone and T-Mobile fully launched HSPDA at 1.8MB? I know 3 are in the final stages of rolling out 3.6MB to the city centres, but nowt concrete yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it this has nothing to do with my problem. Sounds good though. I bet it is expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Mr Cable wrote: »
    Haven't Vodafone and T-Mobile fully launched HSPDA at 1.8MB? I know 3 are in the final stages of rolling out 3.6MB to the city centres, but nowt concrete yet.

Vodafone have started rolling it out. It's currently available in most of the mjaor citys, as soon as this is complete is will be rolled out to the rest of the country. The highest speed available on Vodafone is currently 1.8mbps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah ive downloaded at over 200k a sec with the connection very nice. not adviseable with a normal contract at the moment however only a unlimited data tariff recommended :p
  • Options
    Glennster2003Glennster2003 Posts: 158
    Forum Member

T-Mobile press release from June 2006:
    Next year, T-Mobile intends to increase HSDPA speeds up to 3.6 megabits per second. It intends following this with further increases through 7.2 and then 10 megabytes per second, targetting speeds in excess of 20 megabits per second by the end of the decade.

Here's the full release
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam D wrote: »
    I take it this has nothing to do with my problem. Sounds good though. I bet it is expensive.
    Nope - costs nothing more than standard data. With Web'n'Walk, it's the cheapest data on any network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but i take it i wouldnt be able to get this with what i am doing and £1 for 24hrs.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

T-Mobile WnW data cards connect at 3.6mbps in Nottingham city centre, and have true speeds of just over 2mpbs :cool: , only 50kbps when you fall back to GPRS though.

On my K800i on the standard WnW handset tariff (only used to access my ISP's status page and gmail to get my ADSL Login details :rolleyes: ) I have done a speed test, and get around 60kbps at home, and 100kbps in the city centre - I believe that the handset tariffs is speed throttled to stop people using it for laptops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam D wrote: »
    Hello. Finally have this set up. Payasyougo sim on tmobile and £1 for 24hours. I know this isnt allowed by them but i could do with a payandgo mobile internet for every now and again (bout 2x a month) Whats the speed supposed to be normally? i thought it would be a ok' speed. a speed test on ZDNet came back as 33kbps.

If they catch ya they'l slap network restrictions on your access speed :D Ya not gonna get any faster than GPRS cos ya need a data card to get proper 3G Broadband.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used my N95 on my laptop yesterday and I got this speed and it was pretty reliable...

http://www.avbd33.dsl.pipex.com/n95speed.jpg :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    I believe that the handset tariffs is speed throttled to stop people using it for laptops.

Not true at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talizman wrote: »
    Not true at all.

Hmm, why can a Web'n'Walk Datacard SIM in my K800i connect and download faster than my Relax 200 + Web'n'Walk SIM then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UMRO wrote: »
    I used my N95 on my laptop yesterday and I got this speed and it was pretty reliable...

http://www.avbd33.dsl.pipex.com/n95speed.jpg :D:D

Remember that is how fast you are connected to the modem (i.e. handset)... http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tmobilebs5.png shows there is a bit of difference (although 3G is much faster than this morning :cool: )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Hmm, why can a Web'n'Walk Datacard SIM in my K800i connect and download faster than my Relax 200 + Web'n'Walk SIM then?

I have no idea, but Tmobile do NOT do throttling.