Advice on buying a Kindle

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
I'm in the process of deciding to buy a Kindle for my sister. She is bedbound and unable to read, so I read for her, and we thought a Kindle was a good idea. However I see many types, and while price is not an issue, there's no point in my paying over the odds for extra bells and whistles we won't need.

All we want to do is load the books on and read them. No wifi (well maybe); I have my own PC for download, no social media, no games, no roasting a chicken, no satnav or any of the other doodads the latest ones have.

So the question is, which should I go for that has the required specs but not too many over the top add-ons that I won't need? Currently looking at the Kindle Wi-Fi Touch, which looks decent. Anything else I should know? Am I missing anything out by getting this? Is it current enough? Any other help/info would be great as I have never used or bought one of these before. Also, does it read "other" books, ie do you have to buy everything from Amazon? Not really that important, just wondering about books maybe I couldn't get there but might find elsewhere: would they run on it?

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!
Trollheart

Edit: I'm also reading about Kobo -- register and get access to over a million free ebooks? Any good? Worth looking at as an option?

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Kindles have Wi-Fi. Even the entry level model is sufficient. With other models you get 3G connectivity, higher screen resolution (you can use smaller fonts more comfortably), light, etc. Of those light is probably most useful, but nonessential. With all Kindles you get seamless book purchasing and delivery, your purchases are restricted to Amazon though. I have no experiences with Kobo.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Currently looking at the Kindle Wi-Fi Touch, which looks decent.
    That's the one I have - bought second-hand via eBay. Absolutely fine (but no backlight).
    IvanIV wrote: »
    your purchases are restricted to Amazon though.
    Not really. I download eBooks and use "Calibre" to convert them to ".mob" files*, which I then simply drag into the Kindle (connected via USB). Obviously, it requires a bit more work than downloading direct but it's not difficult. The only learning curve is deciding which settings work best for you in "Calibre". I prefer Verdana 16 point typeface and a 50dpi margin all round.

Obviously you won't need 3G connectivity so you can save money on that.

*Actually, you can load PDF files in, too, but they don't always display nicely. Sometimes the typeface is too small.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on person's skills with computers whether Amazon and ePub restrictions really restrict you. I have no problem to use Calibre and I converted all my Sony purchases for Kindle, but actually I did not do that in a long time. I am happy with Amazon catalogue and pricing.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I'm reasonably proficient on computers (I can convert files, say SWF to MP4 or MKV t AVI etc) so I'm sure I could use that Calibre thing. What about the backlight? Is it essential/desirable? I'd more than likely be reading 99% of the time in the one location (by her bed) so would it be important to have that? I can put on the overhead light of course, as I do when reading her physical books...
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a laptop you can use the kindle app

available for windows, mac and linux

I have an original kindle but I use my hudl most of the time when reading in bed cause I don't have to have a room light on and disturb the OH.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: I'm also reading about Kobo -- register and get access to over a million free ebooks? Any good? Worth looking at as an option?

To be honest most of the current eReaders are pretty good. Whether you go for a Kindle or one of the others depends more on whether you prefer to be with Amazon or the other companies (the other readers work with all the companies except Amazon) more than the capabilities of the eReader itself. (Okay you can convert the formats with Calibre but if you want it simple then it's Amazon or the others).

I wouldn't recommend using anything other than a proper eReader if you are doing this a lot, reading from a tablet is a different experience and personally hurts my eyes - this is a common report and why e-ink was developed.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many kindle books will speak the text (does sound a bit like a dalek though). Then she will be able listen to books even when you can't be present for a while. With kindle you can have lots of book on device but you can remove them from the carousel (the screen in effect). So you could leave just the current book visible and if book the s speech enabled, your sister would only have to press the icon and play will continue from last point. Of course, I am sure the personal touch is important to her and youself.
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    Many kindle books will speak the text (does sound a bit like a dalek though). Then she will be able listen to books even when you can't be present for a while. With kindle you can have lots of book on device but you can remove them from the carousel (the screen in effect). So you could leave just the current book visible and if book the s speech enabled, your sister would only have to press the icon and play will continue from last point. Of course, I am sure the personal touch is important to her and youself.

That's certainly good to know. Do you know which one(s) have/has that function? It would certainly be good to have as an option, like if I were sick or she wanted to read late at night maybe...
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

Only the early Kindle with the keyboard had an audio function, the newer ones do not.

Any cheap tablet running Android can use the Kindle app which does allow audiobooks. In fact, a tablet would be more flexible all-round.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and I love it for reading on holiday. However, it is a 'one trick pony' so you need to decide if that's what you want to spend your money on.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For pure reading to her, the cheapest kindle should be plenty sufficient, a paperwhite might be nice to a bit backlit.

Think about getting a device with Audible support so she can listen to audiobooks too?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's certainly good to know. Do you know which one(s) have/has that function? It would certainly be good to have as an option, like if I were sick or she wanted to read late at night maybe...

Its a function of the book - not the kindle. I think all kindles have them. When you buy a book it should say if it is speech enabled.

update:

It seem some of the later kindles books have conversion built in :-

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/let-your-kindle-read-to-you-with-texttospeech.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot check atm, but older entry level Kindle did not have a headphone jack or a speaker. So check this if you want this feature
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Can I ask is the reading you do for her something you enjoy or do it because you have no other choice. If its the former get a kindle e reader. If its the latter then may be look at getting a tablet, doesn't have to be any anything special as long as you can get audible books on it, then she can listen, without having to bother you all the time. The benefit of an audio book is that it's read properly and not just spoken by a robot like the kindles spoken function.
    Forum Member
    Can I ask is the reading you do for her something you enjoy or do it because you have no other choice. If its the former get a kindle e reader. If its the latter then may be look at getting a tablet, doesn't have to be any anything special as long as you can get audible books on it, then she can listen, without having to bother you all the time. The benefit of an audio book is that it's read properly and not just spoken by a robot like the kindles spoken function.

I do enjoy reading to her, but she would of course prefer to be able to read herself. The trouble is that (as if things weren't bad enough already!) her hand/eye co-ordination is poor and her grip is also poor at best, so doing something like operating a Kindle for herself would be difficult. I think as someone here mentioned the "personal touch" does have a lot to do with it; it's time we can spend together and during which she can hear the books she has not read, or has read and wishes to hear again.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you will be doing a lot of reading, then it's definitely easier on your eyes to get a proper e-reader, not a tablet. Even better to get one with the built in light. It really makes it easier to read in slightly dingy environments, but without the glare and strain you get from a tablet, or shadows from trying to direct a light onto the page.

The other benefit of an e-reader over a tablet is the battery lasts longer, and they tend to be lighter. It's why they are a godsend to many with arthritis. Cheap tablets can be glitchy, and as soon as you start loading apps onto them, you waste time waiting for updates. Although a tablet could be just the thing for someone with limited mobility, but can handle a touchscreen.

If you want to use audiobooks, then a fairly cheap ipod/mp3 player is probably better, or most smart phones will have the function.