Blackberry 10

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't look too bad, the hub looks a bit of a mess, but it could be better that it looks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20087221

Maybe blackberry will get back in the game, or maybe they are too late.

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See that boat. Look it has a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Samsung Galaxy Note, an Apple iPhone 5, a HTC One X and even a LG Nexus 4 on board. And hey, Nokia have stowed away in a lifeboat with the Lumia 920. I can't see a BlackBerry phone though, I think they have missed it. And I don't think the one that leaves in February is very seaworthy, it could sink taking RIM with it
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. It's too late for RIM.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will have an uphill struggle. The OS looks a bit more modern but really they should have done this a few years ago. Its a bit like Microsoft's Windows Mobile which they pretty much neglected for years before burring it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Looks good to me. After the next iPhone, Windows Phone 8, and a bunch of other Android phones (like new Nexus) come, It's now RIM's turn....
  • Garry_McAuleyGarry_McAuley Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    BB10 is 'Android' ;)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB10 is 'Android' ;)

No it is not, it is their own OS, it could be Linux based just like Android, but I am not sure.

I will keep a eye on it i think, i got a few months before I can update, but I will certainly see how it is doing.

To be honest is only one choice for me at the moment and that is a android phone, but if BB 10 is good then that is a second choice.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    No it is not, it is their own OS, it could be Linux based just like Android, but I am not sure.

I will keep a eye on it i think, i got a few months before I can update, but I will certainly see how it is doing.

To be honest is only one choice for me at the moment and that is a android phone, but if BB 10 is good then that is a second choice.

Have you seen the YouTube reviews of BB10? It's BB10 screaming Android, nothing more, everything about it down to the App World has Android written all over it
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    See that boat. Look it has a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Samsung Galaxy Note, an Apple iPhone 5, a HTC One X and even a LG Nexus 4 on board. And hey, Nokia have stowed away in a lifeboat with the Lumia 920. I can't see a BlackBerry phone though, I think they have missed it. And I don't think the one that leaves in February is very seaworthy, it could sink taking RIM with it

Tech world doesn't quite work like that, ZTE and HUAWEI came from nowhere and are now top 5 and 6 in the world. RIM have 80 million subscribers world wide, and I am sure many are itching to get their hands on a decent Blackberry, which hasn't been released in years, you will see many jump on this new handset. Developers are onboard too, and they are building an ecosystem. They will face stuff competition but they have a user base and still hold some stead in the enterprise/business sector.

They won't just die when they have enough of a user base. What is happening in the market now, is that there are many decent phones, there is a lot of choice and something which suits every kind of user. Aside from Samsung flying away and Apple hanging in the balance at a tricky time for them in the phone market (they still got great footing in tablet market) The playing field is big enough for the rest of them to carrying on, even with smaller market shares. That doesn't automatically mean bankruptcy. They all have their target market and will simply just fit in with the crowd thats the likes of HTC, ZTE, Huawei, Motorola, Nokia, RIM, that second tier, below Apple and Samsung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

It's not Linux based, it's QNX, a very advanced platform used in many many devices, including cars, stereos and other tech products.

http://www.qnx.org.uk/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w26yUPo8RZc

It's used in my RIM Tablet, the Playbook, and it couldn't be any more different from Android. It's a beast of an OS on my playbook. Multitasking is amazing. For example, I had like 8 applications all on and live running at the same time, with next to no slowdown, switching from web browser to media player, to emails in a single swipe. There is no OS that can multitask so well like that. And this is older tech and still lacking in optimizations from RIM, but been getting better and better.

The new phones will basically have a rejigged Playbook OS inside with a quick dual core CPU. It;s going to be a great phone no doubt about it, If you could compare it with anything then you could say webOS from palm/HP but thats a dead platform and currently there is nothing like BB10 at this moment in time.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    If you could compare it with anything then you could say webOS from palm/HP but thats a dead platform and currently there is nothing like BB10 at this moment in time.

I think that could be an apt comparison ;)
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the YouTube reviews of BB10? It's BB10 screaming Android, nothing more, everything about it down to the App World has Android written all over it

Oh come on, look at them again and stop being a rabid Android fanboi.

The interface is pure Playbook, which in turn is a mix of webOS and Maemo/Meego, all swipe based interfaces which are way more natural than the primarily button based Android and iOS.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Oh come on, look at them again and stop being a rabid Android fanboi.

The interface is pure Playbook, which in turn is a mix of webOS and Maemo/Meego, all swipe based interfaces which are way more natural than the primarily button based Android and iOS.

I'm no 'fanboi', I'm simply telling what I see
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Linux based, it's QNX, a very advanced platform used in many many devices, including cars, stereos and other tech products.

http://www.qnx.org.uk/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w26yUPo8RZc

It's used in my RIM Tablet, the Playbook, and it couldn't be any more different from Android. It's a beast of an OS on my playbook. Multitasking is amazing. For example, I had like 8 applications all on and live running at the same time, with next to no slowdown, switching from web browser to media player, to emails in a single swipe. There is no OS that can multitask so well like that. And this is older tech and still lacking in optimizations from RIM, but been getting better and better.

The new phones will basically have a rejigged Playbook OS inside with a quick dual core CPU. It;s going to be a great phone no doubt about it, If you could compare it with anything then you could say webOS from palm/HP but thats a dead platform and currently there is nothing like BB10 at this moment in time.

Wow, you learn something new every day. Well you don't, but you know what I mean :)

Very interesting and I will certainly have a look at the phone when it is time to update as long as the price is right and they don't go mad.

the one thing i like about Android is because it is Google, i can sync my calender bwtenn my computer and my phone even if I am not by the computer as it is all done via google calander, do blackberry have anything like that or a online contact sync app?

i am not that fond of google to be honest and if I went away from Android then i would close all my google accounts as i would have no need for them.

The other thing with Blackberry is that everything went via a blackberry server, do that still happen?

i got a few months before i need to decide what to do.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tech world doesn't quite work like that, ZTE and HUAWEI came from nowhere and are now top 5 and 6 in the world. RIM have 80 million subscribers world wide, and I am sure many are itching to get their hands on a decent Blackberry, which hasn't been released in years, you will see many jump on this new handset. Developers are onboard too, and they are building an ecosystem. They will face stuff competition but they have a user base and still hold some stead in the enterprise/business sector.

They won't just die when they have enough of a user base. What is happening in the market now, is that there are many decent phones, there is a lot of choice and something which suits every kind of user. Aside from Samsung flying away and Apple hanging in the balance at a tricky time for them in the phone market (they still got great footing in tablet market) The playing field is big enough for the rest of them to carrying on, even with smaller market shares. That doesn't automatically mean bankruptcy. They all have their target market and will simply just fit in with the crowd thats the likes of HTC, ZTE, Huawei, Motorola, Nokia, RIM, that second tier, below Apple and Samsung.
    I think I know quite a bit more about how the tech world works than you anyway. Why are you mentioning ZTE and HUAWEI? What have they got to do with RIM?

I am well aware of the user base that RIM currently have. However where is the evidence that there are any current users at all "dying to get their hands on BB10"? RIM have a chance as a service provider, maybe IBM or MS will buy them next year for the user base but they are dead as a hardware manufacturer. Who on earth would buy BB10, the OS without an ecosystem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no 'fanboi', I'm simply telling what I see

In that case you have issues understanding what you see before you.

There is a lot of "copying" between systems, and the only area on which BB 10 copies is the swipe interface, as used on the playbook, meego and webOS.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I think I know quite a bit more about how the tech world works than you anyway. Why are you mentioning ZTE and HUAWEI? What have they got to do with RIM?

I am well aware of the user base that RIM currently have. However where is the evidence that there are any current users at all "dying to get their hands on BB10"? RIM have a chance as a service provider, maybe IBM or MS will buy them next year for the user base but they are dead as a hardware manufacturer. Who on earth would buy BB10, the OS without an ecosystem?

ZTE and Huawei were mentioned as they show just how quickly companies and products can change - both ZTE and Huawei have come from nowhere to be on the verge of picking up the mainstream market. It shows that if RIM can market the new Blackberry OS well and back it up with new models of phones then they could get back in the game.

A few years ago no one would have thought Google would be a major operator in mobiles and Nokia almost dying off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    ZTE and Huawei were mentioned as they show just how quickly companies and products can change - both ZTE and Huawei have come from nowhere to be on the verge of picking up the mainstream market. It shows that if RIM can market the new Blackberry OS well and back it up with new models of phones then they could get back in the game.

A few years ago no one would have thought Google would be a major operator in mobiles and Nokia almost dying off.

Although ZTE and Huawei are riding the wave of Android; in ways quite different to what RIM are trying.

The writing was on the wall for Nokia years back .... although they're still doing reasonable business in the lower end, the way they dealt with the move to WP was something Gerald Ratner would have been proud of.

One thing is for sure, I didn't expect Android to be the runaway success its been.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Although ZTE and Huawei are riding the wave of Android; in ways quite different to what RIM are trying.

The writing was on the wall for Nokia years back .... although they're still doing reasonable business in the lower end, the way they dealt with the move to WP was something Gerald Ratner would have been proud of.

One thing is for sure, I didn't expect Android to be the runaway success its been.

Very true about ZTE and Huawei and RIMs situation - I was just showing how things can change quickly in tech.

Androids progress has certainly been swift...I was not keen when it first came out but it has moved on in leaps and bounds.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will never own another blackberry, they can never be forgiven for the Storm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Very true about ZTE and Huawei and RIMs situation - I was just showing how things can change quickly in tech.

Androids progress has certainly been swift...I was not keen when it first came out but it has moved on in leaps and bounds.

the turnaround in some companies fortunes really has been quite amazing.

I'm moving from a BB to an iPhone 4S for work, and I'm already regretting it. Yes, the 4S is a much better toy, but its not a patch on even my old BB Curve as an email and calling based device.

RIM were caught out by consumers taking to their platform thinking it was "cool", and they lost focus on their core competency - corporate email, on which they are without a doubt still the leader. And they forgot how fickle the customer can be ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will never own another blackberry, they can never be forgiven for the Storm.

Storm?

i know someone who had a blackberry a few years back, it had a little ball that was used to scroll around, I have no idea what model.
    I thought it was a nice phone and i was thinking of getting one. What turned me off is that it was pretty wide compared to the phone I had at the time and also to be honest the phone I got now. The keys was a bit small and the thing took so long to switch on.

i also did not like the idea of everything going through a central server, but I suppose that is what my phone is doing now, apart from my email and phone calls
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I want is all these phone makers is to forget about better screens, better cameras, quadcore processors for a bit and put some development into battery power,.

Apart from that if its not overpriced and has the build quality of the playbook and smoothness probably give it a go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A person who knows a lot about something, has no reason to boast about their wealth of knowledge. That's an over compensation for lack of. Word of advice, you are not the bible on technology, no matter how much you tell yourself, or me for that matter. It only makes you look arrogant.

For someone who claims to know so much, you are so far wrong. True I don;t claim to say that RIM have a finished eco system, but I am smart enough to acknowledge that the bb10 OS is a work in progress and the jury is out on how well they have corrected major mistakes in the past. A dead platform who not be making the kind of strides that RIM are making right now. They have already begun carrier testing with the new handset and are looking to go live with them sometime in the first quarter 2013. A dead company would not have bothered to purchase QNX and TAT to use as their OS and lead native app developer respectively.

They are also readying a quad core based full touch phone to be released some time in the later part of 2013, which includes a quad core snap dragon s4 Krait cpu, 2gb of ram if the spec leak is to be believed

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_10_aristo_specifications_leak_get_us_excited-news-4890.php

There seems to be a lot of activity going on at RIM for a company that is dying. If you knew all about their user base growth, then you would know that they actually grew by 2m in the last quarter. That's called consolidation, not death. You seem to be one of people who pick up on media sound bites and paste them around on the net hailing the death of RIM.

No one is denying they got an uphill climb, but it is not impossible that people take to the new OS and Eco System. The UK are actually pretty big on blackberries, it's one of RIM's favoured markets. They don't need to beat Samsung and Apple, they can slot in with the next 2 or 3 phone vendors quite easily and remain there. Smaller market share does not mean death, provided you have a strategy in place of surviving the long term, and to evolve and not be left behind. Something which they know they cannot afford to do in the current climate and with so many players stealing a slice of the pie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recent look at the BB10 os on the new phone. Slick indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B04nItt4VVk#!