Options

A no brainer on Who wants to be a Millionaire?

2»

Comments

• Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither have and I, and if it's Northern phrase, I'm from up North : /
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

As in someone who is 18, and in their last year at school.

To the poster above you- Have you really never heard of 'Where there's muck, there's brass'

She said 'Tin' I think the other options were copper and zinc.
    Have they raised the school leaving age? It used to be 16.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    Have they raised the school leaving age? It used to be 16.

I was still at school at the age of 18. Granted it was the sixth form of a grammar school, but I was still "at school".

As for your question, hasnt it now changed whereby now you have to be doing something between the ages of 16-18, be it on the job training or exams or whatever?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Neither have and I, and if it's Northern phrase, I'm from up North : /

It originated in Yorkshire.

The answer would obviously be brass even if you'd never heard of it as it's the only one that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were the other options? "Where's there's muck there's mud" would work in a "where there's smoke there's fire" kind of way.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a feeling one or two people on this thread may have typed in '18 year old schoolgirl' in their search engines, and somehow landed up on this thread!

:D

What other term are you meant to use for a female who is still at the same place of learning as she was at 11? Schoolwoman? Schoolperson?

Where there's muck, there's

a) Brass
    b) Tin
    c) Copper
    d) Zinc.

Are people seriously saying that even if they had never heard of the phrase they couldn't work it out? As in 'Where there's muck. there's money'.

Nothing to do with 'Where there's muck, there's mud..

Probably best not to apply to go on to any tv quiz shows.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a feeling one or two people on this thread may have typed in '18 year old schoolgirl' in their search engines, and somehow landed up on this thread!

:D

What other term are you meant to use for a female who is still at the same place of learning as she was at 11? Schoolwoman? Schoolperson?

Where there's muck, there's

a) Brass
    b) Tin
    c) Copper
    d) Zinc.

Are people seriously saying that even if they had never heard of the phrase they couldn't work it out? As in 'Where there's muck. there's money'.

Nothing to do with 'Where there's muck, there's smoke.

Probably best not to apply to go on to any tv quiz shows.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have a clue. It's not obvious at all, to me the expression makes no sense.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I've always known 'brass' to be another name for money as in the old days coins of low denominations were copper or brass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does muck have to do with money? The phrase makes about as much sense as "where there's flowers there's baseballs!"
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    What does muck have to do with money? The phrase makes about as much sense as "where there's flowers there's baseballs!"
    It means that people with the right nous can make money out of anything.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm truly amazed there are people on here who clearly think the question was so difficult it should have been for a million quid instead of £1,000.

These are the questions you are meant to skip through, without needing to use any lifelines.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    These are the questions you are meant to skip through, without needing to use any lifelines.

Plenty of people didn't, though, which was how the show kept a rein on its prize money :)

As for the muck/brass expression, if you haven't heard of it you haven't heard of it, simple as that. It's the same with any piece of "general knowledge"
  • Options
    JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It means that people with the right nous can make money out of anything.

So therefore, any metal could be used in that expression really.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So therefore, any metal could be used in that expression really.
    No, because "brass" * is Northern slang for "money". It's a common expression (not just to Northerners) like many proverbs, such as "a stitch in time saves nine". Tell me you've not heard of that either.

* pronounced 'mook' and 'brass' to rhyme with 'crass' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    No, because "brass" * is Northern slang for "money". It's a common expression (not just to Northerners) like many proverbs, such as "a stitch in time saves nine". Tell me you've not heard of that either.

* pronounced 'mook' and 'brass' to rhyme with 'crass' :)

Must be an old expression then, I'm only 23, never heard of money being referred to as brass and I'm no southerner!