Options

Best coastal towns in England/Wales?

AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
Forum Member
✭✭
We're planning on going away for few days in July with our 2 year old daughter. We'd like to go somewhere with a nice beach and plenty of things to do to keep a (very!) active 2 year old occupied.
We are from Glasgow so would prefer to go somewhere in England or Wales (not the south coast of England though as that's just a bit far for us).

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and please no-one mention Blackpool as I'd rather chew off my own tongue.

Comments

• Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on the East coast of Yorkshire and there are some lovely places here. Scarborough and Whitby are both good places to go with families.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North Wales coast is nice. Colwyn Bay should be ideal and there are plenty of places to visit.

http://www.colwyn.org.uk/

http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/Colwyn_Bay
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silloth in Cumbria is nice, just across the border and on the Solway Firth opposite Dumfries & Galloway area.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked Tenby in Pembrokeshire.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our family love Llandudno.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely Llandudno.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire, it's got gorgeous beach's very family/children friendly place, it has got tacky gift shops, plenty of amusements, chippies, pubs, fun fair, illuminations, Plenty of things to do...:D

I would say Dorset as well, Bournemouth in particular, but maybe a little too far for you...:)
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I've always liked Tenby in Pembrokeshire.

Tenby is nice, and Oakwood Park is only a short drive away if you fancied a day out. :)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you able to fly, what about somewhere like Jersey?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    BinCat wrote: »
    I live on the East coast of Yorkshire and there are some lovely places here. Scarborough and Whitby are both good places to go with families.

I live not far from Scarborough and Bridlington and although the beaches are lovely they are complete dives. Bridlington especially, but Scarborough is just as bad. It depends what you want from a holiday, if you want tacky seaside fun then they might suit you, but I'd be going no where near!

Whitby I can't comment on as I've not been for years but I remember it being in the same vein.

Personally I'd be going for Filey if you are looking East Yorkshire, depending on what you want, Filey is great as its within reach of the big seaside towns but still a little less in your face, plus they have a paddle pool for kiddies when the tide in is in.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I live not far from Scarborough and Bridlington and although the beaches are lovely they are complete dives. Bridlington especially, but Scarborough is just as bad. It depends what you want from a holiday, if you want tacky seaside fun then they might suit you, but I'd be going no where near!

Whitby I can't comment on as I've not been for years but I remember it being in the same vein.

Personally I'd be going for Filey if you are looking East Yorkshire, depending on what you want, Filey is great as its within reach of the big seaside towns but still a little less in your face, plus they have a paddle pool for kiddies when the tide in is in.

I would have agreed with this about 15 years ago, but both have come on in leaps and bounds since then, and are great seaside towns. Scarborough is better, IMO, but both are nice.

However, I have to agree with the vote for Llandudno above. It is exactly like a visit to the seaside should be. My only advice is to get sandwiches before you go up the Great Orme, as the food for sale at the top will take the shine off any trip (from a cost POV, I was too aggrieved to remember the quality)
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    We're planning on going away for few days in July with our 2 year old daughter. We'd like to go somewhere with a nice beach and plenty of things to do to keep a (very!) active 2 year old occupied.
    We are from Glasgow so would prefer to go somewhere in England or Wales (not the south coast of England though as that's just a bit far for us).

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and please no-one mention Blackpool as I'd rather chew off my own tongue.

Whitley Bay might be good, or at least somewhere on the Northumberland coast. It's 3 hours drive from you.

The beaches are lovely, you've got castles in Northumberland, a sea life centre, plenty of softplay nearby, there's a lighthouse you can go rock scrambling around - looking for seals and crabs/fishes. There's an abundance of parks to play in. Morpeth has Carlisle Park which has a giant paddling pool in.

I live in Whitley Bay, I wouldn't holiday here, but for what you're looking for it ticks all the boxes. Plus my friend who has a 6 month old daughter and a 6 year old will always bring the kids here.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Wales.

Tenby
    Llandudno
    Barmouth
    Abersoch
    Portmadog
    Criccieth

Avoid, avoid, AVOID Rhyl and Prestatyn. Complete shitholes that make Blackpool look like the French Riviera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I would have agreed with this about 15 years ago, but both have come on in leaps and bounds since then, and are great seaside towns. Scarborough is better, IMO, but both are nice.

However, I have to agree with the vote for Llandudno above. It is exactly like a visit to the seaside should be. My only advice is to get sandwiches before you go up the Great Orme, as the food for sale at the top will take the shine off any trip (from a cost POV, I was too aggrieved to remember the quality)

REALLY :eek: Bridlington is grey and tatty, full of worn out amusement arcades, its like an advert for a seaside town after the apocolypse! The only good thing it has going for it is the new spa area, thats lovely but most visitors don't see it as they stay down the other end.

Beach wise you can't beat going onto the same strip futher up at fraisthorpe - but there is NOTHING there, with the execption of an ice-cream van on hot days.

I agree scarborough is better than brid but both are so chavvy it makes my skin crawl, perhaps thats the curse of living so close, I see the inner workings of the towns (Hornsea is another example), not the magic sparkle that visitors see!

But I agree, personally I'd be heading wales way
  • Options
    io1901io1901 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Northumberland Coast - Bamburgh down to Alnmouth. Castles, beaches, boat trips. There is quite a lot to do in the area.
  • Options
    cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    io1901 wrote: »
    Northumberland Coast - Bamburgh down to Alnmouth. Castles, beaches, boat trips. There is quite a lot to do in the area.

I concur, fabulous area and lovely beaches.

Agree about Llandudno - it's fabulous for families, you can spend a day on the Orme, there's a small kiddies fair on the pier, nice shops, good beach. It's a good base to access other areas of North Wales, Conwy, Anglesea etc.

I'd suggest one of those two areas if you don't want to stay in Scotland.
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    Yes
    Whitby is the best little town in the country. Such a beautiful place.
    Scarborough is a pretty decent beach place for kids too.

To avoid being sexist (since it is a bit of a typically boys thing) nearby you've York and the train museum too. Choo-choo!
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Tenby.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avoid, avoid, AVOID Rhyl and Prestatyn. Complete shitholes that make Blackpool look like the French Riviera.

Add Towyn and Colwyn Bae to that list of places never to stop at!
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Aberdaron, and Pwllheli are nice, in fact the all of that coastline is lovely..
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Tenby.

Saundersfoot and Pendine nearby are good also, though smaller. You have the coastal path for walks and Oakwood, surfing and pony trekking also.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    Another vote for Tenby.

Saundersfoot and Pendine nearby are good also, though smaller. You have the coastal path for walks and Oakwood, surfing and pony trekking also.

Very nice, use to go camping down Temby every year..
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenby is great and I love it to bits but Saundersfoot is nearby and is quieter, Tenby has quite a decent nightlife in the summer and that may not be to your taste. You'll be near to some of the UK's finest beaches like Barafundle Bay and the Gower, both are an absolute must to visit.

You won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »

I think Whitby has far more to offer than Filey personally.

The Northumberland coast is lovely - as are parts of the Cumbrian coast. Alnwick is nice, Bamburgh lovely.

You could also look at Saltburn for an old fashioned Victorian seaside town.
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just down the coast from Blackpool but very different culturally, Southport is a great place to go for a few days. It's a lovely old Victorian town with miles of sandy beach, a funfair, recently refurbished pier and seafront gardens with a lake and model village. It's also very easy to get to Liverpool or Manchester for the day.

The downside is that the tide goes a very long way out so don't expect to see too much sea!