Options

Which historical figures should feature in the next series?

Comments

• Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Tom Riley does have the look! I actually really liked him as Robin Hood as well though... he was clearly born to play historical figures :D

I'd also love to see Christopher Columbus... maybe in a big Bermuda Triangle story. Two-parter, location-filming somewhere that can pass for that region of the world (maybe Florida would be appropriate), wormholes in time messing everything up - 17th Cenury Spanish Armadas coming up against spacecraft from the future. Pirates, sailors, explorers, the mystery of Flight 19...so much scope! :)

When they were looking for a new Doctor, I had my hopes that it would be Tom, but then they announced a second series of Demons and I knew he was out.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I wanted to see Robin Hood as a historical character and got my wish this year. Yes - he definitely counts.

Others:

Oscar Wilde
    Alan Turing

Harvey Milk
    Arthur Conan Doyle
    Henry V
    Mary Wolstancraft/Shelley
    Peter The Great of Russia
    Princes In The Tower Of London
    My Dad

:o
    I think focusing on anything Wilde or Turing may have gotten up to may nbot be suitable for a family audience! :blush:
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    I think focusing on anything Wilde or Turing may have gotten up to may nbot be suitable for a family audience! :blush:

Why on earth not? :confused: ...because they are gay? We've had gay characters before with no big deal. Sure Reading Gaol might be a bit bleak but otherwise a major playwright and the greatest code breaker of WWII could make really good stories they were fascinating people and Oscar Wilde was very witty.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth not? :confused: ...because they are gay? We've had gay characters before with no big deal. Sure Reading Gaol might be a bit bleak but otherwise a major playwright and the greatest code breaker of WWII could make really good stories they were fascinating people and Oscar Wilde was very witty.

And I am sure RTD would have liked to have stuffed them in somehow (if you'll excuse the pun!).

Problem is that you can't really do a programme about Oscar Wilde without bringing his (what were) illegal practices into it.

Even a Time Traveller such as the Doctor would not lecture people that we should judge the morality of yesteryear by todays standards.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about:

Albert Einstein
    Mahatma Ghandi
    Ronald Reagan
    Chairman Mao
    Saint Patrick
    Lawrence of Arabia
    and/or
    Plato :)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

It's always a shame to see that there are still people that think that romantic choices overshadow professional careers. Turing's codebreaking, for example, was only one of the many contributions he made to the field - he provided the foundation for all modern computers. I'm sure there's a sci-fi story to be written around those margins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    My personal preference would be : none. Stick to the made-up stuff, and avoid the pun-laden cringes.

I enjoyed the Agatha Christie one - it was a bit of frothy fun - but yes, if they are not going to do a straightforward history story then maybe they should stay away from real historical characters for a while.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ra-Ra-Rasputin (must've been something other worldly going on with that dude...)

The Third Doctor has already met him in one of the novels, which are, of course, canon. ;-)
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first early humans that left Africa.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always a shame to see that there are still people that think that romantic choices overshadow professional careers. Turing's codebreaking, for example, was only one of the many contributions he made to the field - he provided the foundation for all modern computers. I'm sure there's a sci-fi story to be written around those margins.

As someone who enjoyed reading some of Turing's work , I would guess his work would not be found interesting by the vast majority of people who want to watch Sci Fi though the end result would be. I don't see how you can write a Sci Fi story based on Turing's Computer Science and Mathematical work.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony: Stone me,I'm bored.
    Sid:Well, it's Sunday.
    Bill:Blimey a police box has just appeared in the kitchen.
    Tony: Sid! Sid ! Come back !!!

Doctor: 'Ere! Stop messing about!
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I would love to see Da Vinci in Doctor Who, but he would have to be played by Tom Riley as he already plays him on TV - and i believe it would be easy for him to nip around BBC Wales from the Da Vinci set to the Who set. But he has already played Robin Hood.

HG Wells would be an interesting one

The only true Da Vinci is Johnathon Rhys Davis
    The Third Doctor has already met him in one of the novels, which are, of course, canon. ;-)

What do you mean, third Doctor? The only thing that is canon is 2005 to today, I have no idea who you're talkign about? :confused:
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only true Da Vinci is Johnathon Rhys Davis

What do you mean, third Doctor? The only thing that is canon is 2005 to today, I have no idea who you're talkign about? :confused:

So, in the end of the 50th Anniversary Special, did you just think that those were random people standing on the stage with the only three Doctors?

Of course the entire run of the show is canon. :) 1963-1989, 1996 and 2005-present are the same show. Many shows have been cancelled for years and then brought back. Look at Family Guy, Futurama (several times) and Dallas (which had a much, much longer hiatus than Doctor Who).
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurel and Hardy:confused:
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles Babbage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    There's a few

Conan Doyle would be fun and could be a nudge and wink to Sherlock without being a cross over.

Related to the above i'd like to see Harry Houdini. Others i'd like to see would be:

Edgar Allan Poe
    Dracula
    Mary Shelley
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    cuccir wrote: »
    It's 150 years since Alice in Wonderland was first published in 2015 - so maybe CS Lewis chases a white rabbit into the tardis....

^You mean Lewis Carroll.
    C.S. Lewis would chase a Witch into a Wardrobe.
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Pol Pot: The doctor discovers that the dictator was trying bring about an alien invasion of Cambodia.

Kim Jong Un: The doctor discovers that the Kim family look so weird because they're really aliens.

Muhammad: The doctor discovers that the prophet of Islam was actually an alien sent to cause havoc on earth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Also for kicks and giggles a silurian adventure with david icke
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Jane Grey
    Scott of the Antarctic
    Emperor Nero
    King Canute
    Emiline Pankhurst
    Bonny and Clyde
  • Options
    IanheadlandIanheadland Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Correction of typo from the OP, it'll be Series 9 :D

Anyway, I quite hope for another historical in Series 9. Vincent and the Doctor was the last proper one we got. A few I'd really like...

Amelia Earhart
    Arthur Conan Doyle
    Leonardo Da Vinci

:)

I love your ideas. For Amelia Earhart it could be an idea as to how she disappeared; teleported to another dimension to save her from certain death in the crash. (Don't forget Amy Johnson as well on the same lines).
    There would also be a good story line in explaining Leonardo's futuristic ideas
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTD

Yes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WA Mozart
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Laurel and Hardy:confused:

The Eleventh danced with them in The Impossible Astronaut. :D

Love the Hancock suggestion!

Edit: On a comedy theme, how about Capaldi's Doctor trading barbed one liners with Groucho Marx?
  • Options
    Paul AustinPaul Austin Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Even if there wasn't a ban against depicting him, Muhammad took a nine year old wife which would make him a bad person to a lot of the audience.