Marvel's Agents of SHIELD on Ch4 (Use Spoiler Tags)

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well that was my assumption when I first heard it which if you know the comics leads down one route!
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Well that was my assumption when I first heard it which if you know the comics leads down one route!

Well I don't read the comics, for all I know there might be millions of blue skinned races in the Marvel Universe. :D If it is the Kree, I like that they are using so much from the comics in the right way without overloading us like they are in Gotham.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Well I don't read the comics, for all I know there might be millions of blue skinned races in the Marvel Universe. :D If it is the Kree, I like that they are using so much from the comics in the right way without overloading us like they are in Gotham.
    With you there. Only a casual comic book movie fan so don't know the ins and outs but difinitely agree about Gotham. The makers should take a look at this series.
    Forum Member
    I think the only reason Gotham does that is to draw in the general fans as it seems like the comic fans would be happy with it just being a series about Gordon and nothing to do with Bruce Wayne

Marvel have done that with Agents Of SHIELD by using story lines that interest both types of viewers.I do think over the years that Agents Of SHIELD will become more important with its links to the Marvel Cinematic Universe especially as they have so much background to fill in with the big overall plots!
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    I thought the effects work they did on Skye's Dad was excellent they could have re-shot scenes for Twin Peaks and he wouldn't have looked out of place ;-)

Wasn't it just, could almost have been a direct lift from an earlier role in his career.

The scene with him and Coulson crackled, looking forwards to more of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    It's a pity C4 had to cut out the vivisection ( I think that's what it's called ) scene on Skye's mum. Showing Whitehall taking out her internal organs while alive seals the deal on him being an absolute monster. Makes him much more menacing and horrifying. No wonder Raina was more terrified of him than the doctor in Ep. 5. The woman that he told Raina he operated on, ( in Ep.4 ) was most likely Skye's mum and I'm sure the doctor must have told her about his wife. I'm also sure he knows it was Whitehall as he called him a butcher. Plus when he said about looking at the enemy in the eye, he looked directly at Whitehall.
    varsas wrote: »
    Another enjoyable episode.

So for anyone else think the attack on the Chinese village may not have been down to Skye's dad? Perhaps it was actually Hydra getting her mum and elders.
    Definitely seems to be the case. I actually didn't make the connection between the woman and Skye/her dad, so it surprised me at the end.

So this means Skye won't age?

Just a guess, I assumed that both the Hydra and non-Hydra factions of Shield were there if you take into account Agent Lumley's story in S1E12. The Hydra faction got there first and took Skye's mum and the elders. They may have also killed the villagers. Maybe baby Skye was hidden from them but the non-Hydra Shield team found her when they arrived later. They were killed, presumably by Skye's dad who found his wife and baby missing and went berserk on them. One badly injured agent managed to escape with the baby but died. Lumley and Avery were in the back-up team who found Skye in his arms.

As for Skye not aging, it doesn't necessarily mean that she would inherit the same gift from her mum. And we don't know if the mum didn't age because she had touched the Obelisk or it was already inherent in her.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely seems to be the case. I actually didn't make the connection between the woman and Skye/her dad, so it surprised me at the end.

I accidentally discovered the connection as on IMDB Dichen Lachmann's character is listed as Skye's Mom! >:(

What I don't understand though is why they killed a woman whose body fluids could reverse the aging process? Why not keep her alive and milk her like a cow?
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand though is why they killed a woman whose body fluids could reverse the aging process? Why not keep her alive and milk her like a cow?
    iiuc thru experimentation the Baddie found simply milking her for her juices wouldn't've done the trick. The only way was to take it all.
    Forum Member
    Was the body dumped in Austria or China?

Why round up all the elders from a village in China and then take them to Austria only then to dump the body back in China?
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed dumped in Austria with Skye's father having tracked them down.
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    The only blunder from this season so far, although he could be expanded on in the second half of the season, is Mack. Even Bobbi has had more development in the few episodes she's appeared.

Speaking of Bobbi, I hope she remains next season and becomes a Main Character. They need to just ditch Triplett and have Coulson, Skye, Lance, Bobbi, Simmons, Fitz and May, with Ward depending on what happens to him in this season as the Main Cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mack's done quite well from the episodes we've seen of him. The initial impression was that he was another Trip/Ward type but he's more of a technical guy and empathetic character too as shown by his main part of bringing Fitz back this season. His worry about Coulson adds a different perspective to the new SHIELD too; everyone else seems happy to just go along with things.

We don't know much about him yet but as a character I think he's doing fine.
    Forum Member
    There's certainly been a shift ini the dynamic of the team.

I thought Tripp was going to be a straight replacement for Ward but that hasn't happened, at least not onscreen.

Skye has been bumped up to a kind of mission coordinator and field agent.
    May less so - onscreen anyway.
    Fitzsimmons has been split up.

There's two new field agents - both decent characters with their own past.

I agree that Mack started out well and it was good that he showed concern over Coulson but apart from that recently he's just been in the background repairing something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the new characters have worked well. Everybody has a role and whilst it isn't always features in that episode nobody is really getting shafted too much.

Tripp has taken over as a pilot, leaving May to be a deputy director when Coulson runs around doing things.

It doesn't lend to character development but most of the characters are already rather developed. Hunter and Morse are getting their characters fleshed out. I think that whilst Tripp and Mack aren't quite getting as much as others their roles are really only as supporting characters to assist the main team when needed so they only appear to move the story along.

Plus having more hatchets means that somebody can be killed off and not leave a gaping hole. Last year you kind of knew they wouldn't kill off any of the main core of the team. Now they can.
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    @lucius12: Digiguide are showing that E4 will repeat the first episode of series 2 on January 4th, 2015 at 4:00pm; so it does look like you'll be able to catch up with it by watching live or recording it. You can then binge watch from your taping of episode 7 onwards once you've caught up :)

Thank you for the information a friend of mine missed three epsiodes of season 2 he'll be happy to catch up with them.
  • IrishdaveIrishdave Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode this coming Friday on Channel 4 is the best ever episode in my opinion. RTE showed it last Sunday in Ireland and it is fantastic.
  • EmmsEmms Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @lucius12: Digiguide are showing that E4 will repeat the first episode of series 2 on January 4th, 2015 at 4:00pm; so it does look like you'll be able to catch up with it by watching live or recording it. You can then binge watch from your taping of episode 7 onwards once you've caught up :)

Oh, that's handy, our box decided not to record all of episode one, and I hate watching on demand, so I've made a note of this, thank you :)
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    Another fab episode! Loved seeing Skye finally in a proper fight scene, and I'm glad they didn't make her all kinds of amazing and actually have her for the most part lose, shows they aren't just making her a polished SHIELD agent right off the bat. Also happy to see a proper interaction between Fitz and Simmons!

Really got intense in the last quarter! I expected Skye to somehow end up being used, so her being taken wasn't a huge shock. Mack seemingly dieing... wow. Didn't see that coming! Also, Ward's alliance seems to be to Skye's dad, I guessed it wouldn't be with HYDRA. Or maybe his alliance is with Skye. I actually want to see him all obsessed in love with her haha!

Mid-season finale next week! Gonna miss it (and the others). Not THAT excited for Agent Carter, but I'll suppose it could be good. Still no UK channel for that?
    Forum Member
    Yeah still no UK channel for Agent Carter which is a pity as I hope it doesn't link too much into Agent Of SHIELD so that UK viewers miss out!

Tonight episode was another great episode which is building towards the mid season finale.I don't think Mac is dead but he might not be the same after what has happened to him.I guess we will finally have the meeting of Skye and her father in the mid season finale as well finding out about what she is!

It was good to hear the Kree mentioned and it seems to be heading where I expect!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting reading the IGN review of the episode where they complain she's a bit too good. Personally I agree that they showed the right amount of greenness with her ability!

I really enjoyed our and we finally have the confirmation of the involvement of the Kree! For MCU-only watchers it's the race of main villain from Guardians of the Galaxy.

After seeing Fitz and Simmons working together again right before Mack went into the hole plus Raina's chat with Skye I had a feeling it was going to happen and I'm sad to see him go if that's it!

Still no Agent Carter pick up for the UK :(
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoy the way this series has gone. It kinda reminds Whedon's old show, Angel in its structure so far. In that, season 1 was mostly stand alone stories, with an ongoing plot that gained momentum towards the send of the season. Then season 2 latched onto that plot and started to make it a big deal.

SHIELD has actually been more aggressive with its arc this season, though. Its all been about the ongoing arc and no standalone's at all. I like that, though and it fits with the whole MCU's ongoing story.

Hoping Mack's not dead, as I liked him. He was a nice guy. But I think he is either dead or going to return as an enemy, only to die later. The show needs some deaths to continue the peril.

Interesting to hear that Skye isn't an alien. The suggestion seems to be that she's human, but one of those "deemed worthy." I'm now kinds wondering if she's going to end up being a superhero of some kind. Might we have a Skye movie at some point, years from now?
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great episode again, the Skye/33 fight was awesome. Patton Oswalt, love that guy. Raina looked great in normal kit. Still find Ward really annoying though and not seeing a reason for him not to have been killed at the end of last season, knowing how predictable most shows are, he'll probably end up saving our heroes at the end of the day.
    What the hell was all that Mack/Bobbi back and forth about, he seemed a little OTT if it was JUST about Hunter and Bobbi getting back together?:confused:
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    What the hell was all that Mack/Bobbi back and forth about, he seemed a little OTT if it was JUST about Hunter and Bobbi getting back together?:confused:

I got the impression he's seen them back-and-forthing before and knows its going to end in a great big mess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mack/Bobbi exchange did hint at something else; he was querying whether Hunter should be included what they were talking about.
    Forum Member
    Yeah that got me thinking that maybe Mac/Bobbi are on some sort of secret mission for Nick Fury by keeping their eyes on what Coulson and his team are up to

As it wouldn't make sense for them to be HYDRA especially as Bobbi has only just returned to SHIELD after being undercover at HYDRA

It's a pity that Channel 4 didn't do a double bill of the last two episodes to finish before Christmas like Sky did with Arrow!