Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Here is what I want: The Daleks cliffhanger with Barbara facing the sink plunger for the first time - from Barbara's point of view, in 3D! All done in 1963 style black and white nonvidfire o vision. Scream!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    Sorry if this question has already been asked - but if Doctor Who 50th Anniversary is to be in 3D, which channel will it be on?

Obviously in 2D on BBC1 and BBC1 HD, but BBC HD will have closed by November because BBC2 will have replaced it.

Do I therefore see the BBC keeping BBC HD after all? If not, there is no platform for this to be shown on.

Can someone please tell me where the 3D version will be carried? Thanks.

During the Olympics the BBC had an additional Freeview feed for HD via the Red Button service, I believe that some of Wimbledon was shown in 3D on this. The capacity probably went to Channel 4 during the Paraolympics, after that I haven't a clue; probably lost to shopping and tarts. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    During the Olympics the BBC had an additional Freeview feed for HD via the Red Button service, I believe that some of Wimbledon was shown in 3D on this. The capacity probably went to Channel 4 during the Paraolympics, after that I haven't a clue; probably lost to shopping and tarts. :rolleyes:

Tarts? I don't think Mary Berry's Bake Offs have been on all that much.
  • berncolberncol Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I don't think 3D TV will be properly mainstream until the tellies are glasses-free. Then I might invest in one.
    If the Beeb wants to future proof its material that's fine by me. By then, though, the demand will probably be for 4K (super HD). I don't suppose the Special is being filmed in that!
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    berncol wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think 3D TV will be properly mainstream until the tellies are glasses-free. Then I might invest in one.
    If the Beeb wants to future proof its material that's fine by me. By then, though, the demand will probably be for 4K (super HD). I don't suppose the Special is being filmed in that!

I don't really understand the appeal for 4K, to be honest. I mean the smallest screen for it at the moment is about 84" and you probably need something that big to notice the benefit. A TV that size wouldn't even fit in my room!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The space has been up for sale since then, and the BBC made one recent attempt to sell it via an ad which, as I recall, asked for interest to be made known by mid-December. Since then, nothing.

However, from posts elsewhere, it seems that the BBC, already facing budget cuts, could really do with the income that this slot would generate (so might not be in a position to use it full-time anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I don't really understand the appeal for 4K, to be honest. I mean the smallest screen for it at the moment is about 84" and you probably need something that big to notice the benefit. A TV that size wouldn't even fit in my room!

That IS the appeal of 4K - for extremely large screens, the likes of which few of us would be able to afford or justify, never mind accommodate in our houses (apart from those with dedicated home cinema rooms)..
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    That IS the appeal of 4K - for extremely large screens, the likes of which few of us would be able to afford or justify, never mind accommodate in our houses (apart from those with dedicated home cinema rooms)..

Yes, that's my point. I think it would have an even smaller audience appeal amongst the general public than 3D does. I'm not convinced that it is going to replace 3D as the next fad.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During the Olympics the BBC had an additional Freeview feed for HD via the Red Button service, I believe that some of Wimbledon was shown in 3D on this.

To date, all 3D has been simulcast on BBC HD, and the 2D/SD/HD has been on BBC One/HD.

As it stands, they'll gave to take over BBC Two HD (which is replacing BBC HD) for an hour. Not ideal, but needs must.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Yes, that's my point. I think it would have an even smaller audience appeal amongst the general public than 3D does. I'm not convinced that it is going to replace 3D as the next fad.

Remember that the marketing execs have yet to get hold of it though. :(
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't Moffat be better off spending his limited budget on employing some outstandingly good writers ........... ?
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Wouldn't Moffat be better off spending his limited budget on employing some outstandingly good writers ........... ?

Not only do I doubt that Moffat made the decision to go 3D, but I also doubt that the budget for the 3D filming is coming out of Doctor Who itself - the technology for it can be used for other 3D filming and probably has an independent budget.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is just some flim flam to make us happy that we are getting a special - but who is it aimed at? The uptake of 3D TV in the UK is quite poor.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    This is just some flim flam to make us happy that we are getting a special - but who is it aimed at? The uptake of 3D TV in the UK is quite poor.

Me! So at least one fan will be watching excitedly in 3D.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    ukgnome wrote: »

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation though isn't it. You need the content to encourage the uptake. A bit like when everyone went out to buy colour TV's to watch the Queen's coronation in colour (apparently. I wasn't actually there at the time).

I don't even own a HD TV but I certainly don't begrudge Doctor Who being filmed in HD...
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation though isn't it. You need the content to encourage the uptake. A bit like when everyone went out to buy colour TV's to watch the Queen's coronation in colour (apparently. I wasn't actually there at the time).

I don't even own a HD TV but I certainly don't begrudge Doctor Who being filmed in HD...

It was filmed in colour, with a narration by Laurence Olivier, for cinema release, but that was different to the BBC's black and white coverage. It was actually buying black and white tvs for the first time that the Queen's coronation inspired. I am not sure if colour tv had a big event per se that helped its sales - perhaps Wimbledon, or Glenda Jackson in her drama about the first Queen Elizabeth?

If Doctor Who in 3d was to be shown commercially in the cinema first, I would definitely go to see it, (and hope that some stuff jumped out at me).
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    It was filmed in colour, with a narration by Laurence Olivier, for cinema release, but that was different to the BBC's black and white coverage. It was actually buying black and white tvs for the first time that the Queen's coronation inspired. I am not sure if colour tv had a big event per se that helped its sales - perhaps Wimbledon, or Glenda Jackson in her drama about the first Queen Elizabeth?

If Doctor Who in 3d was to be shown commercially in the cinema first, I would definitely go to see it, (and hope that some stuff jumped out at me).

Oops thanks for correctly my massively inaccurate post :o

Does anyone know if Doctor Who was one of the first series to start being broadcast in colour?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doctor Who's budget should not be covering the cost of the 3D tech. That money could not have been spent in the production of Doctor Who, either.

So long as the actual show isn't affected by 3D gimmicks (in all seriousness, I highly doubt it) then we should be embracing this. If the 2D broadcast isn't negatively affected, can we not just be pleased that DW continues to get extra backing..
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those worried about the extra cost of filming in 3D, have you not considered the additional 3D Blu-ray sales this will generate? Particularly overseas where BBC Worldwide won't necessarily have the ability to show it in 3D on TV. 3D Blu-rays have seen massive increases in worldwide sales recently, and all of BBCW's profits go back into programme making.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those worried about the extra cost of filming in 3D, have you not considered the additional 3D Blu-ray sales this will generate? Particularly overseas where BBC Worldwide won't necessarily have the ability to show it in 3D on TV. 3D Blu-rays have seen massive increases in worldwide sales recently, and all of BBCW's profits go back into programme making.

And that is why I am buying Doctor Who on DVD and Blu-Ray. :):):) I love the show and I never want it to stop.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Doctor Who's budget should not be covering the cost of the 3D tech. That money could not have been spent in the production of Doctor Who, either.

So long as the actual show isn't affected by 3D gimmicks (in all seriousness, I highly doubt it) then we should be embracing this. If the 2D broadcast isn't negatively affected, can we not just be pleased that DW continues to get extra backing..

Same here. People who don't want to watch in 3D don't have to and it is unlikely to spoil things. For everyone else it'll be a laugh. And how many other tv programmes from any channels have their episodes shown in cinemas? Even if you don't like 3D and (rightly) see it as something of a lame duck in the industry, it does at least demonstrate that the BBC are trying to do groovy things with the show.

I'm not a "be grateful for anything they do" squee merchant, but things are as they are. Not doing the 3D stuff is unlikely to mean any more money available for more episodes etc.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of stereoscopic 3D either (the technology used today is not up to scratch in my book) but 3D in general is the future. I believe the technological problems will be solved and we'll have true 3D immersive entertainment at some point.

I don't mind Doctor Who experimenting with it either. I expect the extra money for it will have come from a separate 3D development fund.

I just wish Doctor Who had filmed in HD much earlier than it did. It was a little late to that party IIRC.

Perhaps it will be one of the first shows to film it 4K? :)
    (maybe not :()
    Forum Member
    They get it in the neck either way. Launch themselves full throttle at the latest and greatest and it is "wasting licence fee on something not everyone can see" or "unfair competition with the private sector" etc. Leave it late and it is "the BBC should keep up to date!" "I pay my licence fee why isn't everything a direct brain hologram yet?" etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I just wish Doctor Who had filmed in HD much earlier than it did. It was a little late to that party IIRC.
    HD production had to wait for the studios and production suites in Cardiff to be upgraded to HD. The Tardis interior had to be rebuilt for HD as well.

This all takes time and money of course.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 1 hour 3D special does not make up for a total lack of series 8 imo.