It's easy to drive, isn't it?

Ryan_Ryan_ Posts: 129
Forum Member
I don't drive and am about to start learning. A friend of mine is quite apprehensive about learning to drive herself, but I can't wait to get started! I can't see what could be hard about it - I cycle a lot through London, and am very alert and streetwise so I think that will work to my advantage.

Anyway, if so many people drive, then it can't be that hard, right?

Comments

• Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I don't find it that hard, I passed first time with 26 hours of lessons behind me.

I do know people who've failed 7+ times though, and people who've passed but still have absolutely no idea how to drive. Just like with anything .. everyone's different.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It starts off difficult then ends up no harder than walking.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not, you just have to listen to what your being taught by your instructor and read your theory..

And not to show off, play load music, jump red lights, play chicken with wagons, give cyclists plenty of room etc
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    That Maureen from Driving school seemed to struggle a bit...
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a piece of piss.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't take your test after a night out with the lads
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's easy to drive, turn an engine on, put your foot on the gas, put it in first gear, very easy.

Passing a practical test when only ONE dangerous will fail you, keeping an eye on other road users and having to keep alert not knowing what someone else is gonna do, keeping within speed limits.......not so easy
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me longer than average to pass, 45 lessons and 3 attempts, but it becomes easy eventually :D
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything is fairly easy with motivation, I passed on my 2nd attempt with no interest in driving and cars.
    As I hate driving I haven't driven in the 19 years since.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Practice makes perfect as they say, some of the things you have to do for your test like every time you see a sign use your mirror (was when i did it) and move your head so the examiner can see that you are making the effort you'll probably never do again

and remember the main rule of the road "everyone else has their license from the back of a weetabix box so is a complete f-wit so expect the worst from everyone, as that way you'll never be disappointed and sometimes actually be amazed"
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends whether you're motivated and whether you enjoy driving or not.

Personally when I started, I wasn't particularly motivated then I found out I absolutely hated driving as I personally found it extremely stressful. Nevertheless, I persevered and took lessons for about 5 months. Finally after one of the most stressful weeks of my life practising with my dad and worrying, I sat my test. Unsurprisingly I failed.

It's different for everyone. I found driving to be one of the most stressful activities I've ever had to do. I haven't driven a car since my test and I don't really want to.
    I think I'll resume lessons when I feel I really need to drive.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan_ wrote: »
    I don't drive and am about to start learning. A friend of mine is quite apprehensive about learning to drive herself, but I can't wait to get started! I can't see what could be hard about it - I cycle a lot through London, and am very alert and streetwise so I think that will work to my advantage.

Anyway, if so many people drive, then it can't be that hard, right?

No it's not at all for me. I passed first time, age 17 after a few lessons and practise with my parents. That was nearly 50 years ago! :o

The fact that you are used to using the roads cycling in traffic, will help. Relax and enjoy it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends whether you're motivated and whether you enjoy driving or not.

Personally when I started, I wasn't particularly motivated then I found out I absolutely hated driving as I personally found it extremely stressful. Nevertheless, I persevered and took lessons for about 5 months. Finally after one of the most stressful weeks of my life practising with my dad and worrying, I sat my test. Unsurprisingly I failed.

It's different for everyone. I found driving to be one of the most stressful activities I've ever had to do. I haven't driven a car since my test and I don't really want to.
    I think I'll resume lessons when I feel I really need to drive.

You sound like me. I actually enjoyed driving when i got on a quiet stretch and could just drive without worrying about other road users. Once we got back to busier roads i was a bundle of anxiety. I failed 3 tests and i had to give up in the end purely because i couldn't afford to carry on. I have no desire to start again and be stressed again.

I am however excited by the prospect of driverless cars :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    You sound like me. I actually enjoyed driving when i got on a quiet stretch and could just drive without worrying about other road users. Once we got back to busier roads i was a bundle of anxiety. I failed 3 tests and i had to give up in the end purely because i couldn't afford to carry on. I have no desire to start again and be stressed again.

I am however excited by the prospect of driverless cars :D

Why?:confused:
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Anything is fairly easy with motivation, I passed on my 2nd attempt with no interest in driving and cars.
    As I hate driving I haven't driven in the 19 years since.

Then what motivated you? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

why not...get in rat arsed and get dropped off home with no chance of plod taking your license away since you don't have one, also for those who are disabled they can get a vehicle perhaps more modified to suit them than it would be possible should they have to drive the vehicle and the best thing is you could go to the shops in a small car and then leave with a big truck full of your purchases of shiny shoes or beer (depending on gender)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    why not...get in rat arsed and get dropped off home with no chance of plod taking your license away since you don't have one, also for those who are disabled they can get a vehicle perhaps more modified to suit them than it would be possible should they have to drive the vehicle and the best thing is you could go to the shops in a small car and then leave with a big truck full of your purchases of shiny shoes or beer (depending on gender)

Sorry I had a senior moment and obviously didn't think this through. Forgot about passengers!

I was visualising empty cars on the roads.:o

Wow yes, can't wait. Especially when I completely lose the plot:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was visualising empty cars on the roads.:o

What will happen is that like the airplane move they'll have a blow up autopilot so there will always be 'someone' in the seat ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    What will happen is that like the airplane move they'll have a blow up autopilot so there will always be 'someone' in the seat ;)

:D I demand a very fit blow up bloke!:D
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Then what motivated you? :confused:

I was motivated by my co-workers, who wanted me to do deliveries in the job I had at the time.
    I took 2 attempts at the test and on my 2nd, did a perfect one. The first time I had done a perfect lesson.
    Lost that job and had no reason to get in a car again. As I certainly wouldn't drive for any other reason.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Learning to drive is easy.

However, learning to drive with patience, safety and consideration for other road users is a bit harder:(
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of drivers are just piss poor. You just have to read various threads here to see that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So i can use one :D
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, you slip your key inside and turn her on...

Swiss.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Learning to drive is easy.

However, learning to drive with patience, safety and consideration for other road users is a bit harder:(

That.

Almost anyone can learn to start a car, press the go faster pedal and turn the wheel, learning how to do the 1001 other things that you need to drive, and to do them at the right time, in the right sequence etc is much harder.
    Especially learning things like how far forward, back and to the sides of you that the car extends, and how to get round corners safely..

Learning in a quiet area is much much easier than learning in a busy one, where you have to take on a lot more in one go, I loathe going into one of my local towns even after 20 years of driving because it's so much busier than I'm used to, and I'm fairly sure that a good percentage of the population have probably never passed a test, let alone a UK one (it's one of the areas that is well known for drivers being illegal in one form or another), which combined with the poor road layout and poor, often contradictory sign-age is not fun.

My mother had loads of lessons but never reached the point where she could control the car properly (I think she gave up after about 4 tests when she was about 40), she uses an electric mobility scooter now and still hasn't got the hang of little things like turning the wheel fully, making use of the steering fully in both forward and reverse to allow tighter turns. She can end up having to do a 7 point turn where my dad and I can do a 3 point turn for the scooter, as she doesn't turn the wheels before starting to move forward/back, and often doesn't turn them fully, so often about a quarter of any manoeuvre is effectively undoing her previous progress.