Options

Tattoo stage?

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi...ok so I know people will think not another tattoo question lol.

I have 3 tattoos, the most recent one was last Thursday and it was a paw tattoo with some lettering and numbers above. The healing process is quite simple for me to grasp. My other two tattoos are placed on my lower back and on my calf. I couldn't really see my back tattoo as it went through the healing stages. My calf tattoo I could see but with the angle it was difficult to get a good look.

So my paw tattoo....it feels tad raised atm and it started peeling. As far as I know it hasn't scabbed at all, just peeled which I know is normal. But to one side of the paw...it looks badly faded as if I can see my skin coming through. I contacted my artist who did my other two and they said don't worry, give it another week or so and if we see white spots we'll do touch up but what I explained he said was normal but I didn't mention that it seems my skin is coming through, just that it was faded on one side. I don't know if this is the silver skin/milky stage people talk about, as it doesn't look silver at all...it appears if my skin is coming through. The tattoo is wrinkled atm and shiny and I know that is normal.

Has anyone tattoo gone through this? As I said...I couldn't never really have a great look at my other two so could never really see if it appears if my skin is coming through. They look great now though and no white spots or fading anywhere.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Looks fine to me, just that it may need a little more ink. Aslong as you keep it clean and use something like Bepanthan on it, it will be fine. I had to go back with both of mine to have touch ups, (one of which is also paw prints!) maybe its because they're all black too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep...thought it may need a touch up. My other two were both black and looked great. Since I got it done I have washed it and applied Bepanthen 3 times a day. Today though I cut it down to two.

As said...I have been caring for it 100%. Touch ups...how do they work? Same thing and same way of caring for them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeh, pretty much, just not on the same scale as a full tattoo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The part I was talking about, do you think that the ink has fallen out or faded? Or it could be the stage where it appears all milky and faded??

When I look closely and pull my skin dowards it does actually look worse to the point where I can literally see myskin seeping through. I am not worried at all, just curious to see it its just a stage or its actually has faded to much where I will need a touch up. Also...parts of it where it has peeled can no longer feel it raised, so that makes me think that its done peeling and its same case where it seems as if skin is peering through.
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks fine to me, give it another week for it to heal fully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think so?? I have had someone say on a tattoo forum that its was poorly done. An another artist said via email that it is healing well. The artist who did this and my other 2 has been doing this for over 30yrs. Had mixed responses. I am no expert, though this is my 3rd tat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its not unusual to have to have touch ups, especially with all black tattoos. Just let it heal, look after it properly and it will be fine :)
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »
    Its not unusual to have to have touch ups, especially with all black tattoos. Just let it heal, look after it properly and it will be fine :)

Yep! ... Black ink doesn't seem to absorb into the flesh properly that's why you should avoid black as much as possible! :) ... It'll need touching up guaranteed! :)

(I went through a tattooing phase (in my teenage years) & have my arms completely covered! ... Cost me £1000s .... must have been round the bloody twist lol) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a touch up will be needed. But do you think it was poorly done by looking at the photo?

Tbh....I dont like coloured tattoos, just black ones. My 1st two are black and no touch ups were needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think by poorly done, they mean the lines aren't the best. But aslong as you're happy with it, who cares what others think!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what you mean. I am happy with it and when it is touched up...it will look better. Today it is looking better, from a distance you dont see the bit on the left where the colour didnt sit well...you only see it when your face is roughly 25cm away.

When touched up it will look darker and more polished????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It should do, yes. But it will also look much better once healed.
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Stop worrying, let it heal for a couple of weeks and then have a look and decide whether you're happy. And stop poking or pulling it, just moisturise and leave it alone.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i hope you aren't having baths but showering?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No baths...showers only. And no poking at it either lol. Just staring at it.

I stopped the bapanthen today and started using fragerance free lotion. Washing it and applying the lotion twice a day. Before it was 3 but cut it down when it started to heal. How long is it best to leave til touch up? 2wks...4...8? My studio said 8, but that seems overly long.
  • Options
    Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Yeah its just faded a little, the tattoo artist hasn't got enough ink into that spot, which is a common problem with areas that are all black and not necessarily the sign of a bad artist, all it needs is a simple touch up, as for asking if the tattoo is badly done, it's basic and simple and if that tattoo is what you asked for and what you wanted then it's all cool isn't it, i'd love to know the meaning behind the letters and numbers though.

As for how long to leave it for until the touch up, it's really general rule of the thumb, me for example, a tattoo will take 2 weeks to lose any scabbing, then a week (sometimes less) of slightly peeling skin (like after sunburn), then it's ready for if anymore work doing on it, but one friend i have needs at least a 5 weeks before he could have anything done to it, personally i'd look at it after a month and if everything appears normal go have a word with your artist and see what he/she says.
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best stuff I used was palmer's cocoa butter. healed really well, hardly itched too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tattoo is healing and looking better today which is good. I know it has faded a tad in certain spots.

The tattoo is basic and simple, truth be told I wanted something small and rather simple, I could have gone much more artistic. I have a much more artistic piece on back and leg lol. The letters and numbers relate to my cats I lost. The 1st letter of their name and the year. Also....I didnt want a cat design or anything like cause if I did I would need 3 pieces relating to each cat, I didnt have to but I would have had I gone that route. Ergo a simple piece that can reflect to all 3 in 1 simple paw print. Hope that makes sense...? I know a cat paw is common and popular, but I didnt get this for that...the paw represents my cats I lost, who I adore, so to me it is very meaningful. Its not just a basic design to me. I dont mean to sound rude there, sorry if it came across like that, but today people get a paw just for the sake of it, that its not the case with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats why I got mine too :) I have 5 paws on my foot, one for each that I have/had :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to know that animals are loved and not abused by nutjobs!!

Well its healing well and looking better, just gotta wait til it has healed so I can get a touch up.