Is there anyone here who still buys glass bottles of ketchup?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Heinz specifically.

Why would you not buy the plastic squeezy bottle instead?

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes.

The squeezy bottle goes in all directions.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they are on offer and cheaper than the plastic bottles.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if they are on offer and cheaper than the plastic bottles.

Yeah that's the only time I buy them. Don't like the upside down squeezy bottle though.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the squeezy.

A. Sugden.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will always be best in glass bottles. Same as Coca Cola.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it doesn't taste the same in plastic
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It taste rank in the plastic bottles. I never understood why people bought it in plastic bottles:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    Yes, it doesn't taste the same in plastic

I can't taste the difference.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone here who still buys glass bottles of ketchup?

I can't remember the last time I even saw ketchup in a glass bottle! Branston Pickle is still available in a glass bottle though.

PS I hope the OP's teeth are sorted out now.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy Tiptree ketchup, which comes in a glass bottle, so yes.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy ketchup, Mayo, salad cream and thousand island all in glass bottles. Plastic makes it taste funny (same as drinks, always best in glass or even can if glass not available)
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy one in a squeezy bottle though I do have a little glass bottle of Heinz Sweet Chilli Ketchup in the cupboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not saying they are lying, they probably have far more refined tastebuds than I, but I would like to do a blind taste test to see if people can really taste the difference between ketchup out of a glass or plastic bottle.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not saying they are lying, they probably have far more refined tastebuds than I, but I would like to do a blind taste test to see if people can really taste the difference between ketchup out of a glass or plastic bottle.

My partner pulled me up on this and out of 5 goes, I knew 5 times which was his squeeze bottle ketchup and which was my glass bottle ketchup.

I'll admit, it's not as noticeable if the product is suitably chilled. However, drink a plastic bottle of midly cold water and you'll taste a little something plasticky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    My partner pulled me up on this and out of 5 goes, I knew 5 times which was his squeeze bottle ketchup and which was my glass bottle ketchup.

I'll admit, it's not as noticeable if the product is suitably chilled. However, drink a plastic bottle of midly cold water and you'll taste a little something plasticky

That's pretty awesome :)
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also plastic bottles are full of* 'gender bending' chemicals.

(*Full of = leach)
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Ah, the halcyon days of tomato ketchup in glass bottles.
    You unscrew the lid, and give the bottle a gentle shake. Nothing happens. You shake more vigorously. Still nothing. You pound your hand on the bottom of the bottle with moderate, then heavy force, then with pure rage. Your face turns red, but not your plate. Then at some random unexpected moment, just like Krakatoa, no warning, spll-lllattt, volcanic amounts of ketchup displace themselves onto your plate, your shirt, your ceiling, your cat, etc.
    Things have got somewhat better with the plastic squeezies, but there are still problems to be found. You either have the plastic lids with a small hole, or the "no mess" lids with the funny little suction device thing. With the former, the stuff pours out OK, but over time the dribbles which remain on the lid form a gooey crust which looks disgusting. With the latter, you squeeze and squeeze, in a very controlled manner, trying to increase the pressure to just the right amount, as you know how much sauce you want... but just like the old bottles, nothing happens until all of a sudden, a precision guided laser beam of far too much sauce spurts out.
    You wonder when they will invent a bottle which gets it totally right.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I do because it's often the best price.

Not only that I like whacking the base to get the stuff out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    **** me. Do they sell it in glass bottles?