connecting a PlayStation 2 to sony tv

iainiain Posts: 63,929
Forum Member
✭✭
this is a really dumb question, but am having trouble connecting a playstation 2 to our tv for a visiting friend with a kid.

its connected to the tv with the yellow, white and red connectors at the fron of the tv, but we can't see the picture anywhere.

what dumb thing are we missing?

Cheers,
Iain

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if you supplied the model no of the TV?...however that AV input on most models is usually designated as AV3...but it could also be AV4 or AV5...so you need to select that input using the TVs remote control AV input button.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers - sorry about the rushed email - was rushing to go out. that's what i thought though - the AV3, but going through the channels it was going AV1 > AV2 > Channel 1 - without any sign of AV3.

its a sony wega tv, and it does say AV3 by the connection, so i was a bit baffled by its lack of appearance going through the channels.

Iain
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the model no taken from the rear label?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a sony wega KV28FX60u

i'm probably being really dumb...

cheers,
    Iain
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    On Sony LCD's you can disable unwanted AV inputs, perhaps it's the same on that set?.

Basically you set them to Skip in the setup menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not an LCD, its a 12 yr old CRT. certainly can't remember ever disabling anything.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You probably need a composite to SCART adapter. This wil have yellow, red and white sockets on one side, and a scart plug on the other.

You can buy a Sony to SCART RGB or svideo connector for the PS2, and this is how I connect mine to my TV (although I haven't used it for a while).

The PS2 also has an optical audio output for playing DVDs in Dolby Digital/DTS.

Both picture and video quality are not bad in this configuration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers - i did remember last night that we don't actually still have the tv remote, as we have a sony av receiver, and its remote controls everything. but may lack some functionality for the tv and dvd player. i think it did have an AV button, so maybe that forced the AV3 thing.

will have a rummage for the remote and an adapter in an old box of cables, but i think we got rid of all the old remotes we no longer use quite recently unfortunately.

Iain
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    its not an LCD, its a 12 yr old CRT. certainly can't remember ever disabling anything.

I know it's a CRT, but it may still allow disabling of the sockets.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain

your tv like my one from many years ago (also a sony) may have a scart on the back, with the round connections on the front - but, Sony only has one multimedia input card inside - to save money. This means you cant use the front round connections while the scart is connected at the back.

Only connect one cable at a time (the aerial doesnt make any difference).

You can use the phono-SCART adaptor (one came with the PS2, but new ones are cheap), and this works well enough, but clearly with the adaptor, you have to connect to the tv's scart socket - and make sure the round sockets on the front of the tv are not used.
    Forum Member
    OK, I've just checked in the service manual - on the AV Preset menu you can set AV3 to use either the front AV's or the rear SCART.

Presumably it's currently set to the rear SCART?.

7 Selecting the AV3 Input Source:
    In case of AV3 you have the choice between the front AV3 sockets BCor the
    rear Scart 3 L connector.
    a Push to $ to select AV3 Input. Push to Ó to enter.
    b Select Front or Rear using 4 or $.
    c Store by pressing OK.
    8 Press MENU to return to the normal TV screen.

Sorry, the symbols didn't make it through.