Options

Sony KDL52W4000 red line down screen

Hi

i have had the set for 6 months and noticed today when i switched the set on i have a thin red line about 2 inches in from the right hand side of the screen

the line runs top to bottom and dispappeared after approx 10 minutes

is this a sign of a fault?

thanks

JH

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    I would suggest it's probably an intermittent fault on the LCD panel, get it sorted while it's still under guarantee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi

many thanks for the reply - it keeps re-appearing randomly as well now while the set is in use

will they replace the screen or the whole tv ?

im not happy given the price paid and the fact ive only used it lightly a couple of hours a day max since purchase

thanks

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jph160 wrote: »
    Hi

many thanks for the reply - it keeps re-appearing randomly as well now while the set is in use

will they replace the screen or the whole tv ?

I would imagine they will replace the screen.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well things go wrong even with the best of manufacturers.... get it fixed now.

Nigel deals with lots of Sony's and would say if this was a common fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well things go wrong even with the best of manufacturers.... get it fixed now.

Nigel deals with lots of Sony's and would say if this was a common fault.

I've never changed a 52 inch panel, but sales of 52 inch sets are FAR lower than the smaller sized sets, with 32 inch been massively the most popular.

The way LCD and Plasma sets work, means that common panel faults tend to be a faulty line down the screen, on LCD it's usually a single line of pixels, on Plasma it's usually an inch or so wide. On both, it's commonly intermittent - and it's a major cause of Plasma sets been scrapped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    all

thanks for the replies

fault only appears at power on after a few hours off then disappears

i bought the set from empire direct! :(:( so will have to address this with sony direct

at least it was also on finance so i have more options to get it sorted

very disappointed given the amount of use though

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    heres the fault shown

http://www.henrick.me.uk/pic1.JPG

jh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    all

thanks for the replies

fault only appears at power on after a few hours off then disappears

i bought the set from empire direct! :(:( so will have to address this with sony direct

Not at all, you bought it from Empire Direct, and all your rights are against them, not Sony.

It's up to you if you approach Sony or Empire, but the service agent who will be sent out will take your set away, and almost certainly not leave you a loan set.

If this is then away for "more than a reasonable period" (defined as ten days by the trade), you have the right to a refund or a new set - but NOT if you arranged the repair yourself, you've relieved Empire of that responsibility.

If you contact Empire, and THEY arrange for a service agent to call, you're still keeping your full rights against Empire.

at least it was also on finance so i have more options to get it sorted

very disappointed given the amount of use though

It's why sets come with guarantees, it's a manufacturing defect on the LCD panel - all part of the 'bath tub curve' :D

BTW, good call on the picture - print it out and pass it to the engineer who comes.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empire direct have gone bump..........hopefully Sony will help you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Empire direct have gone bump

I'd forgotten about that, so many of those types of firms keep coming and going.

..hopefully Sony will help you.

Yes they will, by putting him in touch with a local service agent - he will obviously require proof of purchase - which presumably would need to be a paper invoice?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel

thanks for the info - I have the Original paper Receipt

the goods were also on a finance agreement so this may help as well

i contacted the finance company when empire went bust in January as i had a free five year guarantee and they advised me they would honour any problems

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel

thanks for the info - I have the Original paper Receipt

the goods were also on a finance agreement so this may help as well

i contacted the finance company when empire went bust in January as i had a free five year guarantee and they advised me they would honour any problems

You should be fine then - I've just checked the Sony technical bulletins, and there's none referring to this problem, so presumably it's a 'one off'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel

many thanks for the reply and for checking

the fault disappears 10 minutes after switch on and doesnt re-appear until it's been off for a few hours

had a reply from sony today they say they will repair it at a service agent but im liable for any transport costs!

i will now go into battle with the finance company

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel

many thanks for the reply and for checking

the fault disappears 10 minutes after switch on and doesnt re-appear until it's been off for a few hours

had a reply from sony today they say they will repair it at a service agent but im liable for any transport costs!

I was under the impression that sets over a certain size (32 or larger?) qualify for an engineer to come out to them?.

Perhaps Empire had some kind of special arrangement?, it's not uncommon for companies to buy out the warranty.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On similar note, I've noticed faint but noticeable green lines down the middle and across the top of my 42" Pioneer 4270XD plasma while watching football on SKY this evening.

Not had it two years, and it was £1000, so am rather disappointed to say the least, not to mention that it is a Pioneer.

Any advice, Nigel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On similar note, I've noticed faint but noticeable green lines down the middle and across the top of my 42" Pioneer 4270XD plasma while watching football on SKY this evening.

Not had it two years, and it was £1000, so am rather disappointed to say the least, not to mention that it is a Pioneer.

Any advice, Nigel?

Only to get in touch with where you bought, it's been suggested here that EU legislation means the retailer has to give a 2 year guarantee now, but I've no idea if that's the actual case or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression that sets over a certain size (32 or larger?) qualify for an engineer to come out to them?.

Perhaps Empire had some kind of special arrangement?, it's not uncommon for companies to buy out the warranty.

Thanks Nigel

i got no where with Sony so i've referred the matter to the finance company and asked them to replace the item as its had limited use - i await a reply...

also i notice that if i lightly touch the screen when the line appears it goes away so assume this proves a fault?>

cheers

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i got no where with Sony so i've referred the matter to the finance company and asked them to replace the item as its had limited use - i await a reply...

Advantage of finance :D

Mind you, and finacne company daft enough to work with Empire deserves to pay a lot out.

also i notice that if i lightly touch the screen when the line appears it goes away so assume this proves a fault?>

Yes, duff LCD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Advantage of finance :D

Mind you, and finacne company daft enough to work with Empire deserves to pay a lot out.

Yes, duff LCD.

Nigel
    many thanks for the reply

will post back when i hear what the finance company is prepared to do

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update

Finance company refused to do anything as its in the 1st 12 months and Sony will have to repair it so they say - Sony will not agree to a replacement either.

i am not happy given the price paid and minimal use to have the main screen replaced after 6 months

the engineers are coming on Thursday i assume they will just take it away :-(, with risk of damage in transit as well.

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update

Finance company refused to do anything as its in the 1st 12 months and Sony will have to repair it so they say - Sony will not agree to a replacement either.

It's not up to the manufacturer to replace an item, only the retailer - it will have the screen replaced, and be returned to you.

i am not happy given the price paid and minimal use to have the main screen replaced after 6 months

It's why sets come with guarantees, have you never heard of the 'bath tub curve'?.

the engineers are coming on Thursday i assume they will just take it away :-(, with risk of damage in transit as well.

Yes, they will take it away - but any damage will be their responsibility - and bear in mind it's something they do every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HI thanks for the reply

the engineers came on Thursday

took some pictures of the fault and took copies of the ones i had done and a copy receipt

didnt take the set away

told me they will order a panel and fit at my home

will be 7-10 days....

heres hoping it get resolved !

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HI thanks for the reply

the engineers came on Thursday

took some pictures of the fault and took copies of the ones i had done and a copy receipt

didnt take the set away

told me they will order a panel and fit at my home

Bit ambitious, particularly for a 52 inch screen :D

Still, I suppose it's a big TV to take in.

Make sure you're there when they do it, it's a simple procedure, there's just so many screws though.

will be 7-10 days....

Bit slow - order panel Thursday, it arrives Monday - slow because it's the weekend - if they ordered it Wednesday, it would arrive Friday.

Sony spares are blindingly fast - the delay time must be them getting round to coming to fit it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update

Had phone call last friday and engineers called today

new screen fitted in just under 45 minutes now all OK

Very Efficient Service

I can enjoy the Sony again minus the Red/Blue line!

JH