Something that always confuses me every time I watch Doomsday

2»

Comments

• DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I agree, a truly stirring episode. And there's always something you notice for the first time when you re-watch it. When I saw it on BBC3 recently, one thing that really gave me chills was when you see the Dalek through the window coming to kill Lynda: although you don't actually hear it say "Exterminate" because of the glass, you see its lights lighting up in time with the word, which is actually even more effective than hearing the word itself.

Sorry, that's a bit rambly. Hope it makes sense!

Yes, makes perfect sense :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I know. I always think that when I watch it. But its like someone else has said, its one of them things you have to let go over your head.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul SAFC wrote: »
    Also how was he able to take Rose with him, when the transporter was only able to take one person at a time. You had already seen her take hers off and put it down so she didn't have hers on

He has two transporters.

One around his neck and one in his hand.

As to how he knew she was in danger. I'll say it again.

We were told in "Turn Left" that Torchwood in Pete's World have a device that lets them look into other Parallel Worlds.

It's obvious that once Rose jumped back again Jackie would have wanted to go after her, Pete told her they couldn't but then said he could show her that Rose was alright. Of course when they do look they see that she isn't alright and Pete agrees to jump back and get her.
  • unbiasedunbiased Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    I think she was too intelligent for the machine to take her over, earlier in the episode we had seen she was quite intelligent, IIRC.

thats pretty much what i think about this also, either this or she was so strong willed with her sense of duty that she couldnt be converted perfectly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unbiased wrote: »
    thats pretty much what i think about this also, either this or she was so strong willed with her sense of duty that she couldnt be converted perfectly

Which coincides with Miss Hartigan(Dervla) from The Next Doctor.

She overpowered the Cybermen, when she became Cyberkingrulerthingey!
  • DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how many times I see this episode (and I probably know the dialogue by heart, I've seen it so many times!!) ...I can never get my head round this:

...How did Pete know when to jump across the dimensions and rescue Rose at the exact split-second just as she was being dragged into the void?

And, even more importantly, since Pete was covered in "void stuff", why didn't *he* get dragged in as soon as he jumped across?

I know this has probably been answered here many times before, so I apologise for going over such old ground. But it spoils my enjoyment of this episode because I just can't get my head round this pivotal moment! :) So I'd really appreciate any answers. Thanks in advance if anyone can put me straight! :)

My view on this is:-

Rose had been subjected to a much stronger pull towards the void than Pete. The void was starting to close when Pete came through. Also Rose had built up some momentum after she let go of the lever. From what we saw it didn't look like the pull from the void was following an inverse square law like gravity; Rose and The Doctor would have been pulled much stronger than the Daleks outside the building if it had. So I assume that Pete being so close to the void source wasn't an issue.

No idea how he knew Rose was about to fall into the void. Perhaps he didn't. Maybe Jackie was screaming at him to go back and get her and him appearing at the right moment was just a case of serendipity.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DazerUK wrote: »
    No idea how he knew Rose was about to fall into the void. Perhaps he didn't. Maybe Jackie was screaming at him to go back and get her and him appearing at the right moment was just a case of serendipity.

Simple. He knew in the same way Rose knew the Doctor came up against the Wall to say Goodbye. Having been through the void a few times already Pete could probably sense Rose coming and jumped just when he needed to.
  • Stevief86Stevief86 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Ah. :) I feel better now you've said that! :) I always wondered if I was missing something, or if, as you say, it's just one of those things that don't make sense but we just have to suspend disbelief. My husband always laughs at me for taking these things so seriously. Every time I start over-analysing, he says: "Er...you do realise it's not a documentary?" :)

Woah, woah, woah.... Back up a minute.... you're telling me that Doc Who ISN'T a documentary?!!!!!
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing that really gave me chills was when you see the Dalek through the window coming to kill Lynda: although you don't actually hear it say "Exterminate" because of the glass, you see its lights lighting up in time with the word
    Ahh - nice one! :)

Here's the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZXBbVTHZWw#t=4m12s