Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    Just as well that Lenny is going nowhere.

They've battered him in the street meaning he required medical attention, he stayed. They've sent bullets to him, he stayed. They've sent what was meant to look like bombs to him, he stayed. They've tried to drive his car off the road, he stayed. They've lied to him, he stayed. Members of the press lie to vilify him, he won't be made to leave by them.

Yes alot of disgusting and abhorrent things have happened to Lennon, nobody who is a decent football fan would disagree.

What most decent fans take issue with is Lennon being a bad loser, whipping certain Celtic fans into a frenzy about referees decisions going against them and Lennon saying things like he thinks it's 'personal'.

Lets say everyone is against Celtic, how do they explain the amount of leagues titles and cups Celtic have won?

There wasn't many complaints on here when Celtic went on a great unbeaten run this season but they lose three games and certain people started posting the same old paranoid drivel that you see whenever Celtic lose.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just listed the various things that have happened to him in his tenure as a Celtic player and manager.

The criminal acts against him haven't moved him, being lied to by McDonald hasn't moved him and the punitive punishments the SFA tried to illegally apply to him haven't moved him.
    When you use the personal pronoun "they" without providing a noun to which it refers, then grammatically speaking all uses of it refer to the same unstated entity.

Which, by implication, associates the SFA with those who battered him in the street, sent him bullets and suspect packages, and tried to drive him off the road.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t1t3h wrote: »
    Lets say everyone is against Celtic, how do they explain the amount of leagues titles and cups Celtic have won?

I believe I'm quoting or perhaps I'm paraphrasing Jock Stein, perhaps wrongly, if I was to say "If we score enough goals, they can't disallow them all."
    t1t3h wrote: »
    There wasn't many complaints on here when Celtic went on a great unbeaten run this season but they lose three games and certain people started posting the same old paranoid drivel that you see whenever Celtic lose.

What "paranoid drivel" was there when we lost to St Johnstone earlier in the season? Or when we lost at home and away to Atletico Madrid? Or when we lost the first Glasgow derby of the season 4-2 at Ibrox? Or when we lost 2-0 to Hearts at Tynecastle?
    Mark. wrote: »
    When you use the personal pronoun "they" without providing a noun to which it refers, then grammatically speaking all uses of it refer to the same unstated entity.

Which, by implication, associates the SFA with those who battered him in the street, sent him bullets and suspect packages, and tried to drive him off the road.

For a lot of the things that happened there was one common denominator. Do I think the same common denominator also applies to to some members of the SFA, yes I do. But then again, I'm a paranoid Timmy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then again, I'm a paranoid Timmy!
    It's that attitude that's what causes a lot of resentment towards Celtic and Neil Lennon from other teams' fans. It's impossible to respond to without the retort being "point proven".

It was the same with Lennon's ridiculous claims that decisions against Celtic were "personal".
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe I'm quoting or perhaps I'm paraphrasing Jock Stein, perhaps wrongly, if I was to say "If we score enough goals, they can't disallow them all."
    Along the same lines, one thing Stein is supposed to have said is, "If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter." Something to bear in mind?

I am puzzled, though. If I've counted right, Rangers have won the SPL seven times and Celtic six. If the forces of darkness that are apparently arrayed against Celtic are so powerful, why do Celtic win at all? Do the said forces of darkness just decide to have a year off every now and then, or are they just not very good at what they do?

As for Stein, did he have any Irish family connections? As far as I know he was a working-class Scot from a Protestant background*, and thus probably didn't share the sort of Irish paranoia that so many Celtic fans seem to display nowadays, where they believe that everyone, from politicians to referees to the media to the SFA, is against them. They even seem to suspect that a Catholic referee who teaches RE in a Catholic school must somehow be a closet Hun. I find it all a bit bizarre, and I don't think Lennon helps to quell the sort of hysteria that we can see on the likes of Kerrydale Street, where any bad or borderline decision that goes against Celtic is taken as anti-Irish or "personal" against Lennon. Back in the days of Stein (according to my hazy recollections of the time, anyway) Celtic were seen as a Scottish team first, though obviously with strong Irish connections. Now many Celtic fans seem to emphasise their Irishness and cultivate a ghetto mentality where they see the entire Scottish establishment, both within football and in wider society, as being against them. I don't think the majority of Scots are against Celtic, though a good many have certainly grown distinctly tired of Lennon's regular tantrums.when things go against him.

*He apparently said, “We weren’t Orange but we were staunch!”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Along the same lines, one thing Stein is supposed to have said is, "If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter." Something to bear in mind?

I am puzzled, though. If I've counted right, Rangers have won the SPL seven times and Celtic six. If the forces of darkness that are apparently arrayed against Celtic are so powerful, why do Celtic win at all? Do the said forces of darkness just decide to have a year off every now and then, or are they just not very good at what they do?

As for Stein, did he have any Irish family connections? As far as I know he was a working-class Scot from a Protestant background*, and thus probably didn't share the sort of Irish paranoia that so many Celtic fans seem to display nowadays, where they believe that everyone, from politicians to referees to the media to the SFA, is against them. They even seem to suspect that a Catholic referee who teaches RE in a Catholic school must somehow be a closet Hun. I find it all a bit bizarre, and I don't think Lennon helps to quell the sort of hysteria that we can see on the likes of Kerrydale Street, where any bad or borderline decision that goes against Celtic is taken as anti-Irish or "personal" against Lennon. Back in the days of Stein (according to my hazy recollections of the time, anyway) Celtic were seen as a Scottish team first, though obviously with strong Irish connections. Now many Celtic fans seem to emphasise their Irishness and cultivate a ghetto mentality where they see the entire Scottish establishment, both within football and in wider society, as being against them. I don't think the majority of Scots are against Celtic, though a good many have certainly grown distinctly tired of Lennon's regular tantrums.when things go against him.
    Absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*He apparently said, “We weren’t Orange but we were staunch!”

You might want to ask yourself why Jock Stein would feel compelled to even say this and then have a look at the other bit in bold.

Whilst obviously a great manager Jock was also fortunate to manage at a time when 11 Scots could conquer Europe, that will never happen again regardless of who was managing them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    You might want to ask yourself why Jock Stein would feel compelled to even say this and then have a look at the other bit in bold.
    Yes, because comments on poor refereeing always stem from Irish paranoia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Yes, because comments on poor refereeing always stem from Irish paranoia.

It wasn't necessarily due to Irish paranoia but I'm certain Jock Stein believed there to be an anti-Celtic bias in the Scottish football establishment.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy McNiell was part of a celtic side which dominated but even he said 'It's been happening for 50 years. The big decisions have always gone against my club and in favour of Rangers. Nothing has changed.'

Of course not every official in scottish football is anti celtic but rangers are 'the establishment club' and the fact that for 12 years they were able to do what they have been doing while nobody seemed to notice only just proves that point.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst obviously a great manager Jock was also fortunate to manage at a time when 11 Scots could conquer Europe, that will never happen again regardless of who was managing them.
    But wasn't Stein saying that any alleged bias on the part of referees wasn't a serious problem as far as he was concerned: "If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter."

Maybe it's only the weak managers and the weak teams that like to blame refereeing errors for their own failures. How many mistakes were made by the Celtic players themselves on Sunday, and how much of the responsibility for them have the players and their manager accepted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But wasn't Stein saying that any alleged bias on the part of referees wasn't a serious problem: "If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter."

Maybe it's only the weak managers and the weak teams that like to blame refereeing errors for their own failures. How many mistakes were made by the Celtic players themselves on Sunday, and how much of the responsibility for them have the players and their manager accepted?

I think what Stein was saying was a (thinly veiled) barbed comment in that he has to put out a team good enough to not only beat the opposition but also the referee. He was fortunate enough to have some of the best players to ever grace Scottish football and his own coaching nous which made that an easier thing to do than it is currently or any time since.

As for Sunday of course mistakes were made especially for Hearts first goal and missing a few clear cut chances although I'm sure Neil Lennon would readily admit this. It's undeniable that certain refereeing decisions had a major impact on the outcome of the game.
  • Options
    StoneColdSaysSoStoneColdSaysSo Posts: 9,883
    Forum Member
    . It's undeniable that certain refereeing decisions had a major impact on the outcome of the game.

Like the offside Hooper goal? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the offside Hooper goal? ;)

I would have included that if it was actually the refs decision! :p
    That decision wouldn't even have to be made if the ref had done his job correctly and reduced Hearts to 10 men in the first half. ;)
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spl fans survey does not bode well for NewCo Rangers

Of the fans surveyed all 11 clubs had over 90% against the NewCo in the spl with most being over 95%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Spl fans survey does not bode well for NewCo Rangers

Of the fans surveyed all 11 clubs had over 90% against the NewCo in the spl with most being over 95%.
    And in other news, a grizzly has been found defecating amongst trees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Stokes banned for one Scottish Cup game next season - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17761629

Cue the paranoia...
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »
    I know Celtic fans won't agree with me but I think Lennon is a liability. In all honesty, after all he has been through I don't find that surprising. I believe the guy is bordering on having a break down. His actions after the Cup semi-final were not good at all.

I wonder what he would have done if a referee had run up to him after a game and had a go for the abuse he'd given him for 90 minutes.

In all honesty, if I was a member of the Referee's Association I would be out to see him hammered for his actions. Is it any wonder they hate him and are 'out to get him'?

His 're-tweet' of a fan's opinion was nothing short of infantile.

He is an embarrassment to Celtic FC.

Apologies to those Celtic fans who find that hard to accept but it is not just Neil Lennon that is a human being to be treated with respect, referee's are as well.

Get rid of him for the good of your club.

Well, this is one Celtic fan who agrees with you 100%. It's exactly what I have been saying since Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Lennons behaviour is no worse than other title winning managers across Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry bhoy07 but I disagree. He has to accept that it's not always someone else's fault when we lose.
    It wasn't the ref that missed two headers from 2 yards. It wasn't the ref that played Hooper in some sort of no-mans-land role. It wasn't the refs fault that we didn't manage a decent shot on target in the entire first half.
    Lennon is becoming an embarrassement and I would not shed a tear if he left at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Sorry bhoy07 but I disagree. He has to accept that it's not always someone else's fault when we lose.
    It wasn't the ref that missed two headers from 2 yards. It wasn't the ref that played Hooper in some sort of no-mans-land role. It wasn't the refs fault that we didn't manage a decent shot on target in the entire first half.
    Lennon is becoming an embarrassement and I would not shed a tear if he left at the end of the season.
    What has he done that is worse than any other title winning manager?
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member

It's nice to read that some Celtic fans have removed the tinted specs.

I used to have respect for Celtic when Martin O'Neill was in charge, you couldn't help but have a wee bit admiration for them, wanted them to do well in Europe and would prefer them over Rangers for the title. Now I couldn't care less about them and i'm not overly fussed how well they do in Europe either. Lennon needs to get back in touch with the real world and look at his managerial flaws before criticising everyone and everything else when they lose a game. At least show some dignity or class in defeat. His constant stomping around after match officials every time he doesn't get his own way has grown rather tiresome and as for his unprofessional and at times immature twitter rants......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    What has he done that is worse than any other title winning manager?

Even SAF (never the most gracious manager) had the good grace to admit his player dived to win a penalty. Can you ever imagine Lennon doing that?
    Blaming the ref for not giving a penalty when the ball didn't even touch Websters hand and denying that Hooper was offside when he scored are understandable in the heat of the moment but surely he must see he was wrong now and apologise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even SAF (never the most gracious manager) had the good grace to admit his player dived to win a penalty. Can you ever imagine Lennon doing that?
    Blaming the ref for not giving a penalty when the ball didn't even touch Websters hand and denying that Hooper was offside when he scored are understandable in the heat of the moment but surely he must see he was wrong now and apologise.

I don't think it was offside so I'll be joining Lennon in not apologising.
This discussion has been closed.