The Greed of Welfare Claimants

MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This story tells us so much about the mindset of a section of welfare claimants.

George Grant certainly puts the I into entItlement, complaining how he's losing some of his handouts because of a twenty thousand pounds lotttery win. Despite not having worked for over thirty years because of a mobility problem George was suddenly rejuvenated enough to plan to travel to Nashville, Tennessee, for a well earned holiday . After twenty year of gambling his taxpayer funded DLA on the National Lottery he now rues his misfortune
I wish I'd never won this money, the hassle it has caused me. I won't be buying a ticket again.
He obviously believes he should keep the money, go on holiday and them come back to resume collecting his benefits. With so many George's around it's little wonder the public support the clampdown on welfare.

Cue the welfare tag team.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2815521/Disabled-Lottery-winner-wishes-never-won-20-000-prize-benefits-cut.html

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He just needs to get rid of 4 grand in a sensible way.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be quite honest if he can do a trip to Nashville then he does not sound beyond work to me, and he gets out of the house as we see him pictured standing and he gets to the shops as he has said . though of course I can only comment based on the story .

If he has genuine mobility problems why not spend £4000 on a good quality electric wheelchair to help him get out and about and he mentions debts, those would be legitimate expenditure.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    This story tells us so much about the mindset of a section of welfare claimants

Clearly. "Evil Benefit Claimant Viciously Does The Lottery".
    Despite not having worked for over thirty years because of a mobility problem George was suddenly rejuvenated enough to plan to travel to Nashville, Tennessee, for a well earned holiday

Do you understand the concept of mobility problems ?. It doesn't mean "paralysed".
    After twenty year of gambling his taxpayer funded DLA on the National Lottery he now rues his misfortune

Yes, damn him for wanting to take a chance of a better life.
    He obviously believes he should keep the money, go on holiday and them come back to resume collecting his benefits. With so many George's around it's little wonder the public support the clampdown on welfare.

The Tory Fanboys support the clampdown on welfare. Normal people with souls don't.

Anyway, I can't see why he can't give £4k away. But then he's clearly been too honest for his own good by declaring the money. If he'd given away £5k before that, he could have simply declared £15k and probably not had these problems.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This story tells us so much about the mindset of a section of welfare claimants.

George Grant certainly puts the I into entItlement, complaining how he's losing some of his handouts because of a twenty thousand pounds lotttery win. Despite not having worked for over thirty years because of a mobility problem George was suddenly rejuvenated enough to plan to travel to Nashville, Tennessee, for a well earned holiday . After twenty year of gambling his taxpayer funded DLA on the National Lottery he now rues his misfortune

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2815521/Disabled-Lottery-winner-wishes-never-won-20-000-prize-benefits-cut.html
    Funny how you always pick the extreme cases which were in the Daily Mail. You never ever pick stories of people suffering genuine hardship.

Nice to see your obsession with targeting all welfare claimants as scrounges continues.

Where's your outrage on tax dodgers Meercam?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost as if he's treating it like a lottery win.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems fair to me

Stop his benefits for the length of time he would have received 20 grand and then start them again. You don't need benefits when you've got 20 grand in the bank
  • MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Funny how you always pick the extreme cases which were in the Daily Mail. You never ever pick stories of people suffering genuine hardship.

Nice to see your obsession with targeting all welfare claimants as scrounges continues.

Where's your outrage on tax dodgers Meercam?

Where's your thread on tax dodgers so I can contribute?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's your thread on tax dodgers so I can contribute?
    I don't start threads for trolls like you.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Yet being loaded with cash never stop david cameron multi millionaire claiming BENEFITS did it. So how this government has any room to talk about entitlement culture is just laughable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I don't start threads for trolls like you.

So you don't actually know about the tax system then?
    I'm not surprised.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yet being loaded with cash never stop david cameron multi millionaire claiming BENEFITS did it. So how this government has any room to talk about entitlement culture is just laughable

Or the worst vermin Tory of them all, Iain Duncan-Smith, being 'entitled' to put in claims of £39 for breakfasts
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    How dare a disabled man win some money on the lottery?!?!

Everyone knows that only fit and healthy working people should win!

It's an outrage! Anyone would think that the lottery is a... lottery.

Good luck to the fella.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, he's that greedy he declared his winnings to all the agencies he gets benefits from!

According to the article he also now isn't entitled to benefits he wasn't getting in the first place!

Oh and apparently now ' possibly visiting Nashville ' is the same as ' planning a trip to Nashville'!

I completely agree he should lose his means tested benefits, and that he will have to prove that he hasn't spent the difference without reasonable expenditure.

But really all this DM article is saying is that George Grant realises the same......it wasn't worth it! He hasn't whinged that he's been hard done to!

So complete fail on the OP's part, without even mentioning the thread title!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, he's that greedy he declared his winnings to all the agencies he gets benefits from!

According to the article he also now isn't entitled to benefits he wasn't getting in the first place!

Oh and apparently now ' possibly visiting Nashville ' is the same as ' planning a trip to Nashville'!

I completely agree he should lose his means tested benefits, and that he will have to prove that he hasn't spent the difference without reasonable expenditure.

But really all this DM article is saying is that George Grant realises the same......it wasn't worth it! He hasn't whinged that he's been hard done to!

So complete fail on the OP's part, without even mentioning the thread title!

Poor George is unhappy he can't use his new found wealth and mobility to travel to Nashville.
    It's incredible how people like George suddenly improve their mobility when they win some money.
    The more they win, the more mobile they become.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't suppose that it's worth pointing out that his entitlement to DLA (PIP next time he qualifies) has sweet fa to do with work but is paid because he has living requirements because of a disability- care/mobility etc. And you don't have to be completely unable to move or travel in order to qualify.
    You could be working full-time and qualify, as long as you don't have more than £16k savings.

The point is it's paid to cover extra costs you have because of your condition. So when they've deemed he's down to that limit again (over a reasonable space of time, not just a couple of dozen rounds down the pub and a new X-Box), he'll be just as entitled as anyone else to claim it again.

Not his fault. That's the rules. Easy pickings for the outraged without a clue though ...
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly. "Evil Benefit Claimant Viciously Does The Lottery".

Do you understand the concept of mobility problems ?. It doesn't mean "paralysed".

Yes, damn him for wanting to take a chance of a better life.

The Tory Fanboys support the clampdown on welfare. Normal people with souls don't.

Anyway, I can't see why he can't give £4k away. But then he's clearly been too honest for his own good by declaring the money. If he'd given away £5k before that, he could have simply declared £15k and probably not had these problems.

Normal people do support these clampdowns.

Only bleeding hearts do not. A bleeding heart doth not a soul maketh.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor George is unhappy he can't use his new found wealth and mobility to travel to Nashville.
    It's incredible how people like George suddenly develop a mobility when they win some money.
    The more they win, the more they seem to recover.

Yeah, Yeah!

Have you actually read the article in full? I think not!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    ev

It's incredible how people like George suddenly improve their mobility when they win some money.
    The more they win, the more mobile they become.

Does it say he has no longer got mobilty problems, are people with mobilty problems 100% housebound, Dont people with mobilty problems come to the uk, from other counties to have a holiday. Seems you dont know what a mobilty problem is. And he will still be getting his DLA as that is a non means tested disabilty benefit, that is why even david cameron with all his millions in the bank got DLA, and decided to sit down and fill the forms out so he could claim DLA, because he was entitled to this benefit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Yeah!

Have you actually read the article in full? I think not!
    Can Meercam actually read.......
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    When I saw the thread title I assumed that it would be about the greediest section of welfare claimants....the corporate welfare claimants such as Atos and Maximus who are raking in hundreds of millions per year in corporate welfare.

Having read the article in the Daily Mail there is no evidence of any greed from Mr Grant, who has followed the correct procedures following his win. The reason that he is not happy is because the amount of the win is only just above the means testing limit and therefore he will have to go through the hassle of putting in new claims in a few months' time.

This is yet another epic fail by the op. Believe it or not disabled people can use aeroplanes these days so, with the right help, some are able to travel.

Good luck to Mr Grant who is clearly one of the overwhelming majority of welfare claimants that is honest and follows the rules.

I know some people think that trolls should be banned but this type of desperate, highly inaccurate thread is pure comedy gold in my book :p
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I saw the thread title I assumed that it would be about the greediest section of welfare claimants....the corporate welfare claimants such as Atos and Maximus who are raking in hundreds of millions per year in corporate welfare.

Having read the article in the Daily Mail there is no evidence of any greed from Mr Grant, who has followed the correct procedures following his win. The reason that he is not happy is because the amount of the win is only just above the means testing limit and therefore he will have to go through the hassle of putting in new claims in a few months' time.

This is yet another epic fail by the op. Believe it or not disabled people can use aeroplanes these days so, with the right help, some are able to travel.

Good luck to Mr Grant who is clearly one of the overwhelming majority of welfare claimants that is honest and follows the rules.

I know some people think that trolls should be banned but this type of desperate, highly inaccurate thread is pure comedy gold in my book :p
    I was just typing something very similar, so I'll just quote you instead :D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can't be that greedy if he's been gambling away his money for twenty years. You'd get more use out of it by burning it.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smells like currysocks.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem. His situation has altered, he has declared it and they are altering his benefits accordingly. As much as it would be nice to keep the money. The welfare pot is not a bottomless pit of money, and if people are begrudging Camerons disabled child money, I can't see how they can justify this guy keeping 20 k in lotto money.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't suppose that it's worth pointing out that his entitlement to DLA (PIP next time he qualifies) has sweet fa to do with work but is paid because he has living requirements because of a disability- care/mobility etc. And you don't have to be completely unable to move or travel in order to qualify.
    You could be working full-time and qualify, as long as you don't have more than £16k savings.

The point is it's paid to cover extra costs you have because of your condition. So when they've deemed he's down to that limit again (over a reasonable space of time, not just a couple of dozen rounds down the pub and a new X-Box), he'll be just as entitled as anyone else to claim it again.

Not his fault. That's the rules. Easy pickings for the outraged without a clue though ...
    bib - you can claim DLA even if you do have savings, it's non-means tested, completely irrespective of savings. Ask David Cameron.

Of course, these days it's PIP.

The £16k savings applies to means-tested benefits only.