Andrew Marr

clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I the only one who thinks he's not particularly bright. Saw him interviewing Alex Salmond at the weekend. He asked Salmond how he could realistically expect independence at the same time as retaining the Queen as head of state, open borders and shared military facilities. Salmond immediately pointed out that there were independent countries that already had such arrangements with Britain - something the average man or woman in the street would have been able to tell the interviewer. Does Andrew Marr exist in a parallel universe?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing he doesn't research most of the questions. Not exactly defending him with that comment either. He should know more, but I'm guessing hsi researchers should share blame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's crap. Not just because of the usual "BBC left wing bias!!!" but simply because he seems to be poor interviewer, not bright and not interesting. I'd rather watch many of the people the BBC has to offer, such as Paxman, Crick, Andrew Neil etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    The guy is soooooo left wing it ruins his show at certain times.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galvatron wrote: »
    I think he's crap. Not just because of the usual"BBC left wing bias!!!" but simply because he seems to be poor interviewer, not bright and not interesting. I'd rather watch many of the people the BBC has to offer, such as Paxman, Crick, Andrew Neil etc.

Why did you put that in quotes?

Do you agree or not agree with this quote?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Why did you put that in quotes?

Do you agree or not agree with this quote?

No, I don't think the BBC is left-wing biased. I think the typical BBC employee is likely to hold left-wing views, but I think they're generally too professional to allow this to present their reporting. I find some interviewers and journalists do lean a bit too much to the left (mainly Marr) but this is counteracted by Paxman and Andrew Neil, who I don't think are right wing but are more anti-government.

I put it in quotes because many do believe this and repeat it often.
  • ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Salmond is not an easy man to interview simply because questioning the rationale for independence is such very a difficult job. It's all too easy for interviewers to slip into unionist mode - running down Scotland by playing the "subsidy junkies" card or asserting that the people of Scotland aren't up to the job of running their own affairs.

Andrew Marr and Sky's Adam Boulton appear to realise this and generally do a pretty good job at keeping things relaxed and informative. Paxman, Esler and Wark on the other hand see these interviews like a game of chess and tend to throw the board up in the air when they don't come out on top (which is the case more often than not).
  • FrameBreakerFrameBreaker Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Marr isn't left-wing. He's just a tool who opposes everyone he speaks with. He happens to speak with many right wingers is all.

That's not to say there aren't left-wingers out there interviewing people. But Marr is more like a Paxman character. He'll attack anyone and disagree for the sake of disagreement. Right or left wing.

He's more of a centrist. I recall him debating with Chomsky and opposing everything Chomsky says. Now no left-winger opposes Chomsky. So it's clear Marr is simply a centrist with a self-inflated sense of self-worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG24vg8js4o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Marr isn't left-wing. He's just a tool who opposes everyone he speaks with. He happens to speak with many right wingers is all.

That's not to say there aren't left-wingers out there interviewing people. But Marr is more like a Paxman character. He'll attack anyone and disagree for the sake of disagreement. Right or left wing.

He's more of a centrist. I recall him debating with Chomsky and opposing everything Chomsky says. Now no left-winger opposes Chomsky. So it's clear Marr is simply a centrist with a self-inflated sense of self-worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG24vg8js4o

But if you watch his last interview with Cameron, he talks over him to the point where Cameron only got a few words out before being interrupted. For an example, take a look at the this thread - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1144161

Contrast this with the Brown interview, where he interrupted nowhere near as much, or the Mandelson one from a month or two ago, where he was dire.

It's not just the questions he asks, but the way he asks them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    Mr Jackie Ashley makes good documentaries but is a crap-ass interviewer
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALANM wrote: »
    Alex Salmond is not an easy man to interview simply because questioning the rationale for independence is such very a difficult job. It's all too easy for interviewers to slip into unionist mode - running down Scotland by playing the "subsidy junkies" card or asserting that the people of Scotland aren't up to the job of running their own affairs.

I just thought his line of approach, as mentioned in my original post, was pretty stupid for a political journalist. Australia and other commonwealth countries are indepenedent yet still retain the queen as head of state, we have open borders with the rest of the EU and share military facilities with other NATO countries. And it's hard to blame the researcher. Surely he would have read the research notes before the interview and thought to himself, 'hang on, this is a pretty stupid thing to say.'
    The argument about political bias I leave to others. I was just struck by the man's stupidity.
  • FrameBreakerFrameBreaker Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if you watch his last interview with Cameron, he talks over him to the point where Cameron only got a few words out before being interrupted. For an example, take a look at the this thread - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1144161

Contrast this with the Brown interview, where he interrupted nowhere near as much, or the Mandelson one from a month or two ago, where he was dire.

Of course. But he's tried to ambush many leftists.

I think the mistake being made is that people are assuming Cameron is right-wing and Brown is left-wing. Which simply isn't true. That's a media illusion.

Labour and the Tories have always said one thing while out of power and failed in doing it while in power. And that's a historical fact.

What I'm saying is that Cameron attacking Labour and saying one thing while out of power doesn't actually mean anything, at all. Because when in power he'll be just an inept as Labour.

Internally both Labour and the Tories are centrist. Externally they're both right wing, in regards to foreign policy. So going easy on one and not the other makes no sense, as they are the same. Maybe Marr has been tricked into believing there's a difference and bats for Labour?

But Marr is simply an idiot.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an interviewer's job to take a critical position and put the person they are interviewing on the spot. If you see Marr or Paxman doing this it doesn't mean they agree with opposing the interviewee per se, it's just part of the job.

Andrew Marr is not in the same league as Andrew Neil or Jeremy Paxman, but he's still better than anybody ITV has to offer in terms of political insight.

I'm amazed that some people think TV interviewers are making personal points. TV interviews are not like debates on DS politics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't recall those interviews, but maybe it was because Brown's points were more solid and factual therefore harder to challenge. Cameron has been, up till now, much more vague so there is more scope to press him to be specific. Just a thought, nothing more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I'm amazed that some people think TV interviewers are making personal points. TV interviews are not like debates on DS politics.

I'm not criticising his personal opinions; I am criticising his rank stupidity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an interviewer's job to take a critical position and put the person they are interviewing on the spot. If you see Marr or Paxman doing this it doesn't mean they agree with opposing the interviewee per se, it's just part of the job.

Andrew Marr is not in the same league as Andrew Neil or Jeremy Paxman, but he's still better than anybody ITV has to offer in terms of political insight.

I agree with all of this...
    I don't recall those interviews, but maybe it was because Brown's points were more solid and factual therefore harder to challenge. Cameron has been, up till now, much more vague so there is more scope to press him to be specific. Just a thought, nothing more.

... but here I think you're letting your dislike for Cameron or respect for Brown cloud your judgement. Brown may be a 'heavyweight' prime minister but he definitley doesn't show this through his interviews or public speaking. He uses soundbites and meaningless phrases just as much as all the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. But he's tried to ambush many leftists.

I think the mistake being made is that people are assuming Cameron is right-wing and Brown is left-wing. Which simply isn't true. That's a media illusion.

Labour and the Tories have always said one thing while out of power and failed in doing it while in power. And that's a historical fact.

What I'm saying is that Cameron attacking Labour and saying one thing while out of power doesn't actually mean anything, at all. Because when in power he'll be just an inept as Labour.

Internally both Labour and the Tories are centrist. Externally they're both right wing, in regards to foreign policy. So going easy on one and not the other makes no sense, as they are the same. Maybe Marr has been tricked into believing there's a difference and bats for Labour?

But Marr is simply an idiot.

I'd describe Labour as centrist and the Tories as centre-right, but political labels aren't particularly useful. My point is that most interviewers seem anti-government and therefore harder on the government at the moment. If/when the Tories get in, I expect they'll be equally hard on them. Marr, on the other hand, seems to me to be harder on the Tories than on Labour, so I'd be interested to see what he will be like if we have a Tory victory next year.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd describe Labour as centrist and the Tories as centre-right, but political labels aren't particularly useful. My point is that most interviewers seem anti-government and therefore harder on the government at the moment. If/when the Tories get in, I expect they'll be equally hard on them. Marr, on the other hand, seems to me to be harder on the Tories than on Labour, so I'd be interested to see what he will be like if we have a Tory victory next year.

Any interviewer regardless of their personal choices will try to get headline news in their interviews.

That is their main aim. Look at what Paxman did to his personal friend Mandelson?

A headline means more to an interviewer than who they personally like or dislike imo.
  • Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks he's not particularly bright.

He studied English at Cambridge so he's hardly a dumbo.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks he's not particularly bright. Saw him interviewing Alex Salmond at the weekend. He asked Salmond how he could realistically expect independence at the same time as retaining the Queen as head of state, open borders and shared military facilities. Salmond immediately pointed out that there were independent countries that already had such arrangements with Britain - something the average man or woman in the street would have been able to tell the interviewer. Does Andrew Marr exist in a parallel universe?

It does make you wonder. Has he not heard of Australia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... but here I think you're letting your dislike for Cameron or respect for Brown cloud your judgement. Brown may be a 'heavyweight' prime minister but he definitley doesn't show this through his interviews or public speaking. He uses soundbites and meaningless phrases just as much as all the others.
    It was merely speculation as to why the interviews went the way they did, nothing more. I don't dislike Cameron, btw, but I think he's all mouth and no trousers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »

He may know the works of Chaucer back to front, but he clearly doesn't know too much about politics - which is a bit of a handicap for a political journalist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »

Didn't Boris Johnson study at Oxford?

"BENDY BUSSES!"

*slips and falls into a river*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote: »

I have seen many SNP interviews and none of the interviewers have gone into unionist mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of Neil really, and while i do love Paxman, that famous interview he did with Galloway was downright unprofessional. Marr never grills as much as i'd like, but you couldn't argue he wasn't fiercely intelligent, i just don't think he's that kind of journalist.