When was the 6th "pip" extended

MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I am wondering out of curiosity when the 6th pip was extended, seeming as I heard a broadcast from 1970 which had 6 continuous pips.

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very shortly after that - I'd guess 1971.

I tried Wikipedia but it fails to mention the fact that there used to be six short pips.

EDIT - I was right - but only just! The long pip at the end was brought in from midnight on Dec 31st 1971.

http://www.miketodd.net/other/gts.htm
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the ever useful Mr Pawley (BBC Engineering 1922 - 1972) the change was at midnight on 31 December 1971, and was "as a result of a decision by the General Conference of Weights and Measures to adopt the International Atomic Time Scale for time signals throughout the world". At the same time it became possible to have 5 or 7 pips on occasion at midnight on 30 June and/or 31 December.

Some seconds laters - you were just editing yours when I was typing mine! !Snap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us were hoping the recession would bring about a fall in Pawley BBC Engineering book prices, with the Daily Mail announcing this in doleful terms as a symbol of economic doom. But no, one can still pay up to 200 quid for the pleasure of owning a copy.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Some of us were hoping the recession would bring about a fall in Pawley BBC Engineering book prices, with the Daily Mail announcing this in doleful terms as a symbol of economic doom. But no, one can still pay up to 200 quid for the pleasure of owning a copy.

I suppose it was not a huge print run and many copies are in libraries. People who bought copies at the time, like myself, are not likely to part with them.

It would be nice to have an updated version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update - ah well I think that's part of the magic of this excellent book, pips and all -- the knowledge that as a historical document it's the best we're likely to see, and as a parallel BBC Engineering itself was the best too.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update - ah well I think that's part of the magic of this excellent book, pips and all -- the knowledge that as a historical document it's the best we're likely to see, and as a parallel BBC Engineering itself was the best too.

Just something to cover the period after Pawley though the last few years engineering could be documented on the back of a postcard. :=)
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where the radio clock signal comes from now? I know it used to be something to do with those masts near Rugby/Daventry, but I'm sure I heard they moved the clock signal to Cumbria?
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, interesting to find it puts out 15kW!
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is worth mentioning that the pips/time signal comes up every 15 minutes.

Sometimes a lazy tech op will forget to close the fader and they can be heard at 15 mins past the hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthorn in Cumbria

Google Streetmap view
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Out of interest, what is Rugby used for now, is it still a listening station, as there are still loads of masts there!