Peter Kay Channel 4 16 August 2012

Comments

• junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought he had lost what he used to have and haven't really liked too much he's done for a long time but OMG this was truly hilarious and goes to show I was totally wrong and he's as funny and observant as he ever was, after watching last night I don't honestly think another comedian can touch him for getting so many laughs, best stand up ever.

But I don't know what international audiences would think of him.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant show - glad I've recorded it - one I'll defo watch a second or third time.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam_Main wrote: »
    The bit with the cassette tape at the end was hilarious!

Could anyone link me to the songs?

Yeah, it was funny when he did it 15 years ago.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Preferred his "That Peter Kay Thing" and "Phoenix Nights" myself. His stand-up seems to consist of "Do you remember teletext blah blah", but I suppose it works for some people.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hurt myself laughing at his bit about embarrassing bodies, the part where he was doing an impression of a woman and he said "every time I lift me tits up they fart" (It's making me giggle as I write)
    I was lying in bed in agony with one of the most painful IBS attacks I've ever had, But even so I was in an uncontrollable giggling fit for about 20 minutes, I had to pause it while I got through the giggling, Laughing and being unable to stop even though it's causing you great pain, I was in AGONY all night because of it, Thanks Peter,
  • JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was actually funnier to 'listen' to rather than watch!

My parents had it on in the kitchen while I was having something to eat, and I was trying to hide my laughter but struggled!

Especially when he started going on about high def!

“It’s all HD now. HD that’s the new thing now, “get it in HD!” What a rip-off. I’ve got Star Wars three times now. I’ve got it on VHS, I’ve got it on DVD; if it gets any clearer I want to sit on t’couch with Yoda havin’ a brew.”

:D

Viewing it was quite difficult as it seemed to be the 'Audience That Didn't Tour Tour' with the constant shots of them!
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it was mainly nostalgia but each to their own - being the age I am can relate to all of it, so found it very funny.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Of course it was mainly nostalgia but each to their own - being the age I am can relate to all of it, so found it very funny.

Me too....I thought it was really good and highly entertaining!
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somewhere between the first and second series of Phoenix Nights it all went wrong.

A warning to other performers: don't piss off your co-writers and have to resort to stealing/rehashing material.

A nasty piece of work too, by most accounts.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I loved Peter Kay back in the day and watched his Bolton dvd repeatedly. Got more bored of him as the years have gone on though. But I did watch this, and parts of it were amusing but I wasn't bursting out laughing. The misheard lyrics bit at the end was my favourite part.

Wouldn't watch it again though. His act still consists of mostly 'Hey, remember *nostalgic product*? What were all that about? *Exaggerated comment about nostalgic product*'
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    There are lots of references to previous routines with phone holsters, garlic bread, fine rain etc but still very funny.

Where are his Mum and Nan?

Maybe both at home, trying to rewind a CD :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was really good, from start to finish.

If anyone recorded it, keep it rather than going out to buy it on DVD: The 'misheard lyrics' section (near the end) has been edited out of the commercially-available DVD. I recorded it to DVD last night, for this reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    Just reminded me how shit he is.

:D Except I've always known, ever since he started on TV on The Sunday Show in the late 90s I've known how bad Kay is.

As Rufus Hound once said, Kay is good at remembering things.

Funny, he ain't:confused: Add McIntyre and Bishop into this WTF popular cultural phenomenon conundrum as well. At the risk of sounding oh-so condescending and sanctimonious, I truly believe that this unholy trinity are fine examples of comedy for people who don't like comedy. Waits for backlash........:D

Just remembered a Stewart Lee quote about McIntyre's stuff - that it's like spoon-feeding his audience warm diarrhoea.

Just my opinion........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Funny, he ain't:confused:

Well, there were countless occasions when the camera cuts to the arena, showing thousands of people p*ssing themselves with laugther. And no, they are not all tanked up with drink!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Just FYI my favourite comedians are:

Bill Hicks
    Doug Stanhope
    Jerry Sadowitz
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered a Stewart Lee quote about McIntyre's stuff - that it's like spoon-feeding his audience warm diarrhoea.

According to Stewart, that quote has been taken a little out of context:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee:_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    He's absolutely brilliant. Was crying laughing and I'd already seen it :D

I saw him a few years ago with my family, and when the show finished all our chests ached so much from laughing.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    Thought it was really good, from start to finish.

If anyone recorded it, keep it rather than going out to buy it on DVD: The 'misheard lyrics' section (near the end) has been edited out of the commercially-available DVD. I recorded it to DVD last night, for this reason.

I wish I'd known that. I didn't record it with already having a it on blu-ray. I presume it'll be repeated plenty more times in the future, though, like his other stand up shows.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed last night's Peter Kay show, laughed so hard and he's still as funny as ever. I got my mum and dad tickets for this show in Sheffield for Christmas two years ago, wish i got a ticket for myself now. I missed a treat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    :D Except I've always known, ever since he started on TV on The Sunday Show in the late 90s I've known how bad Kay is.

As Rufus Hound once said, Kay is good at remembering things.

Funny, he ain't:confused: Add McIntyre and Bishop into this WTF popular cultural phenomenon conundrum as well. At the risk of sounding oh-so condescending and sanctimonious, I truly believe that this unholy trinity are fine examples of comedy for people who don't like comedy. Waits for backlash........:D

Just my opinion........

I can't stand Rufus Hound, terrible comedian. Can't touch Kay's success.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bill Hicks
    Doug Stanhope
    Jerry Sadowitz

it seems you just like people who are nasty :D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    He is great at admitting to the same inanity of life many experience and conveys it perfectly to leave us laughing at ourselves .
    Exactly - and IMO it works well for me.
    jj-min wrote: »
    Shatterproof rulers? Woz that all about?
    No, I didn't get that either.
    I hurt myself laughing at his bit about embarrassing bodies, the part where he was doing an impression of a woman and he said "every time I lift me tits up they fart" (It's making me giggle as I write)
    I was lying in bed in agony with one of the most painful IBS attacks I've ever had, But even so I was in an uncontrollable giggling fit for about 20 minutes, I had to pause it while I got through the giggling, Laughing and being unable to stop even though it's causing you great pain, I was in AGONY all night because of it, Thanks Peter,
    :D:D That was the best bit for me, I wasn't hurting like you but had starting coughing as I was laughing so hard!! Bloody excellent 2hrs (or about that), I couldn't believe it when it ended as it seemed to go so quickly!
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Rufus Hound, terrible comedian. Can't touch Kay's success.

Rufus Hound's a comedian:confused: I thought he was just a talking head on BBC3 pap and a reviewer on Richard & Judy.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bill Hicks
    Doug Stanhope
    Jerry Sadowitz
    Going to see Sadowitz tomorrow night - you don't quite know what to expect!!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Is it being repeated on 4OD? I wasn't quite in the mood last night to get into it, caught a few laughs in the last hour though.