Options

Hey, need a little advice concerning the Kindle I bought my wife for our upcoming...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anniversary!

I was hoping to purchase some books to have ready for her or so that she could easily download them onto when she first uses it.

But don't want to unopen the box.

It seems tricky to do this without having a kindle yourself, or is there some way I can buy the books and keep them on my pc until the big day and then when she is ready to go, let her download them off my computer or is there an easier way?

I do appreciate that this might be a daft question, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul:)

Comments

• Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I THINK (as I don't own a kindle) with kindles they will download all the books on the amazon/kindle account. So if you sign in with your wife's amazon /kindle account on your pc, buy the books you want, then on the big day she will just have to turn on and sign in and the books will download.

Remember you will want to keep all the kindle books brought on one account either yours or your wife's, you will not want to be in a situation where the first books are under your account and the later books hers.

Hoepfully someone else who does own a kindle will confirm all of this.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anniversary!

I was hoping to purchase some books to have ready for her or so that she could easily download them onto when she first uses it.

But don't want to unopen the box.

It seems tricky to do this without having a kindle yourself, or is there some way I can buy the books and keep them on my pc until the big day and then when she is ready to go, let her download them off my computer or is there an easier way?

I do appreciate that this might be a daft question, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul:)

Or you could get her an electronic or printed Kindle book token loaded up with any amount you want, then she can choose the books for herself.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gc/order-print?ie=UTF8&design=happybirthday_12_uk
  • Options
    Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy the books for her on your ( or better yet her) amazon account. When you buy the books just click on "send to x kindle if it's registered to your amazon account?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey thanks for the fast replies. I haven't opened the kindle yet as I wanted her to be able to do it. But you have given me some ideas as to get round the problem.

Always get sound advice here

Thanks!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I THINK (as I don't own a kindle) with kindles they will download all the books on the amazon/kindle account. So if you sign in with your wife's amazon /kindle account on your pc, buy the books you want, then on the big day she will just have to turn on and sign in and the books will download.

Remember you will want to keep all the kindle books brought on one account either yours or your wife's, you will not want to be in a situation where the first books are under your account and the later books hers.

Hoepfully someone else who does own a kindle will confirm all of this.

if you log in with her account she will get e-mails with details about the purchases.

And AFAIK if you make the purchases with your account they can't be transferred to her account at a later date.

The other option would be set up an account specifically for the kindle with your e-mail address and makes the purchases with that account.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you set up an amazon account and purchase kindle books on it using specifed credit card.

when the kindle is switched on it can be registered to that account. u will need the email address and password used originally. purchased books can then be downloaded onto the kindle via wi fi (or 3g if it has that).

note that each amazon account has an associated credit card number. not sure how easy it is to change the credit card so your wife can retain the already purchased books but also purchase new ones on her own card on the same amazon account. that would be the thing to check beforehand .......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... might be a good idea to phone amazon customer services and ask them about this .....
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a gift certificate, then she can choose what she likes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am going to go with the gift certificate idea this time...because I really want her to be able to open the box and use the thing first, because if it was mine I would want to be able to do all the setting up and such myself. So gift certificate it is!!

Thanks for all your help though everyone!
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I think I am going to go with the gift certificate idea this time...because I really want her to be able to open the box and use the thing first, because if it was mine I would want to be able to do all the setting up and such myself.

But is your wife really going to prefer having to spend time setting it up, as opposed to simply switching it on and having it already configured, with some books waiting for her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    But is your wife really going to prefer having to spend time setting it up, as opposed to simply switching it on and having it already configured, with some books waiting for her?

Part of me appreciates what you are saying...part of me thinks :eek: I just sorted this in my head...lol!

I will think on it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of me appreciates what you are saying...part of me thinks :eek: I just sorted this in my head...lol!

I will think on it!

Well you can always help her with it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I will think on it!

I'm like you and prefer to play around with new gadgets, but I know my gf has no patience with them and just wants them to work. For that reason, I always choose to set presents like this up in advance. She can take it out of the box and start using it - no messing around with chargers, menus and setting up accounts. Even easier with a Kindle, as you can simply put it in a nice cover and then wrap it up.

And although the Kindle is easy to set-up, there are plenty of people who run into problems with connecting it to their router or not knowing their wireless password, etc. There you go, one more thing for you to think about...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    I'm like you and prefer to play around with new gadgets, but I know my gf has no patience with them and just wants them to work. For that reason, I always choose to set presents like this up in advance. She can take it out of the box and start using it - no messing around with chargers, menus and setting up accounts. Even easier with a Kindle, as you can simply put it in a nice cover and then wrap it up.

And although the Kindle is easy to set-up, there are plenty of people who run into problems with connecting it to their router or not knowing their wireless password, etc. There you go, one more thing for you to think about...

Haha...Gee thanks...I see your point, but my wifey is a bit different, she will ask for help if she needs it, but I really do think she will like doing it herself!

I think after 10 years I might know lolol :eek:

But thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha...Gee thanks...I see your point, but my wifey is a bit different, she will ask for help if she needs it, but I really do think she will like doing it herself!

I think after 10 years I might know lolol :eek:

But thanks for your help!

However you choose to do it, she's going to love the present. :)
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your original idea will work perfectly. You set up an account under her email address, with a password chosen by you. You login to it, buy several kindle books with your credit card. When she unpacks the Kindle, you register the Kindle with Amazon using the account address and password you have created. As soon as the registration is complete, the books will appear in the Amazon Cloud and all she has to do is tap on them to download them.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Your original idea will work perfectly. You set up an account under her email address, with a password chosen by you. You login to it, buy several kindle books with your credit card. When she unpacks the Kindle, you register the Kindle with Amazon using the account address and password you have created. As soon as the registration is complete, the books will appear in the Amazon Cloud and all she has to do is tap on them to download them.

I agree - the important thing is to open an account with her email address. My husband didn't do this when he bought me a kindle, so now everything I buy shows on his account :eek:

It's not really a great problem, but I have never felt that the kindle is quite mine :o
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    And AFAIK if you make the purchases with your account they can't be transferred to her account at a later date.

The other option would be set up an account specifically for the kindle with your e-mail address and makes the purchases with that account.

This is one of the reasons I got a Sony eReader rather than a Kindle. My wife and I can share books whoever bought them and that would apply even if one or both of us had a Kobo instead.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    note that each amazon account has an associated credit card number. not sure how easy it is to change the credit card so your wife can retain the already purchased books but also purchase new ones on her own card on the same amazon account. that would be the thing to check beforehand .......

Its the standard amazon account, very easy to change payment details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I got a Sony eReader rather than a Kindle. My wife and I can share books whoever bought them and that would apply even if one or both of us had a Kobo instead.

This is exactly the same with Kindle and ePub readers. If a book is DRM free, you can copy it around freely. If book has a DRM, you either remove it, which is illegal, and then you can use the freed book as you like. Or you can use it with multiple devices which are registered to the same Amazon account / Adobe ID it was purchased with. Exactly the same.
  • Options
    jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    This is exactly the same with Kindle and ePub readers. If a book is DRM free, you can copy it around freely. If book has a DRM, you either remove it, which is illegal, and then you can use the freed book as you like. Or you can use it with multiple devices which are registered to the same Amazon account / Adobe ID it was purchased with. Exactly the same.

Yes, we have three Kindles on the same account and can share the same book on all three.