Options

TOTP 1978 - Double Standards

2»

Comments

• Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why are performers who committed crimes (eg Gary Glitter, JK) allowed to be shown but not the presenters (eg Saville)? :confused: They can both and all should be shown, imo :)

What the then BBC Controller said about Gary Glitter at the very end of this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20969876
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan King's conviction was always unsound. It's always worth remembering that Simon Cowell paid part of his bail money, and King still has plenty of friends in the media. There is no statute of limitations for sex offences, and it seems to me as though the whole thing whipped up by the lovely Max Clifford.

If you wanted to edit out every TOTP performance featuring somebody who had engaged in sexual behaviour with underage people, I dare say there would be very few episodes left.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just watching lasts nights repeat and was surprised to see they had included Jonathan King in the line-up. With them not showing any DLT fronted programmes (rightly or wrongly) it seemed very odd. :confused:

Now why could you not have simply contributed to the actual Top Of The Pops 1978 thread itself where these things have been discussed? Many agree that DLT should still be played pending the outcome of his case. But all Gary Glitter's hits from 1977 were played on the TOTP 1977 showings last year. Also there is a case I suppose for saying that Jonathan King has done his time, 3 and a half years in prison of a 7 year sentence. The real shock was the dreadful song more than anything else.

But further comments would be best placed in the actual TOTP 1978 thread where they will likely get a lot more interaction from everyone interested. One of the most popular TV show threads on DS, and we are all pushing to make sure that TOTP 1979 happens too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Jonathan King's conviction was always unsound. It's always worth remembering that Simon Cowell paid part of his bail money, and King still has plenty of friends in the media. There is no statute of limitations for sex offences, and it seems to me as though the whole thing whipped up by the lovely Max Clifford.

If you wanted to edit out every TOTP performance featuring somebody who had engaged in sexual behaviour with underage people, I dare say there would be very few episodes left.

king has proved that he was out of the country at the time when one of his alleged victims claimed to have been molested.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Bill Wyman was guilty of under-age sex ( a crime ) but Savile may have raped not just teenage girls in general but patients in mental health institutions & children's homes who were totally unable to say no or turn to help - a true sexual predator.

Or he may not have, nobody really knows.

Once the attention of the Daily Mail turns to the goings on of 70s and 80s rock bands and who they may or may not have dallied with after gigs then the BBC won't be showing much music at all. :cry:
  • Options
    colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I watched TOTP and have to admit I was surprised that they allowed JK to be shown but ban people like Glitter and Saville. Personally, I'm not bothered if they do show the last two. We can't airbrush people out of history even if they have committed serious crimes. As someone else said - plenty of programmes/films are made about Hitler and Stalin, not to mention all sorts of serial killers etc. By the way, does anyone else remember Jonathon King's Entertainment USA programme? We used to watch that in my family.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot blame the bbc for not showing jimmy saville. After what he did, i'd be surprised if anyone would actually want to watch him. Jonathan King has served his time, and one performance is a bit different to showing a run of episodes presented by saville who had his arm around girls A LOT of the time. Same goes for Dave Lee Travis, it would be a bit awkward watching them after what they have been accused of. I can understand the predicament the bbc are in over presenters. But I really hope this doesn't stop them showing 1979 :)
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    king has proved that he was out of the country at the time when one of his alleged victims claimed to have been molested.

This is true. The whole conviction was based on decades-old anecdotal evidence. I doubt the CPS would've bothered at all if King wasn't a celebrity.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The JK song should have been shelved. Not for anything JK did, but for the song itself ... for Crimes Against Music. It was bloody awful.
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Why are performers who committed crimes (eg Gary Glitter, JK) allowed to be shown but not the presenters (eg Saville)? :confused: They can both and all should be shown, imo :)
    Because Top of the Pops' presenters were employed by the BBC. Performers are freelance.

Retroactive dismissal is like handing the Emperor a dressing gown after his jolly jaunt, though. I agree with you.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just watching lasts nights repeat and was surprised to see they had included Jonathan King in the line-up. With them not showing any DLT fronted programmes (rightly or wrongly) it seemed very odd. :confused:

As I understand things, they were originally ommitting JK, but then JK took them to court - and won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot blame the bbc for not showing jimmy saville. After what he did, i'd be surprised if anyone would actually want to watch him. Jonathan King has served his time, and one performance is a bit different to showing a run of episodes presented by saville who had his arm around girls A LOT of the time. Same goes for Dave Lee Travis, it would be a bit awkward watching them after what they have been accused of. I can understand the predicament the bbc are in over presenters. But I really hope this doesn't stop them showing 1979 :)

Isn't 1982 next? They had 1974 & then 1978.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't.
    Anyway they showed Giltter about a year ago on this rerun.
    Anyway again, why should the viewing public be punished for other peoples crimes? There are going to be instances where classic songs are not going to be shown because DLT or JS presented the show. Beyond crazy. And the OP raising the point about King. Another Monday morning BBC meeting about the future of this great show.:confused:

The OP didn't say anything about punishing anybody.
    The OP simply made a valid point about the inconsistency of editing out some people but not others.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume you are being ironic here ...?
  • Options
    RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hate two things about this thread...

- the fact that it's stirring up all of the cr*p again, which doesn't help our cause if we want the re-runs to continue
    - there's a TOTP 1978 thread where this has been discussed in full previously.

Let's just stop being outraged and enjoy an old TV show. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I assume you are being ironic here ...?

No I'm not.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we've had 1976, 77 and 78 so far.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm not.

In that case, you must be in strange parallel universe. Tele_addict is quite right. Quite aside from anything else, barely any of TOTP from 1974 still exists in the BBC archives.