Pressure Pad BBC1 3pm

Comments

• JG1970JG1970 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Pressure Pad today and my jaw dropped to the floor in shock as someone I work with was a contestant on the show :eek:
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pressure pad is usually for the detonation of a mine, bomb or other explosive device. If only. Makes Perfection look like University Challenge..
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't believe two of the contestants today.

Some guy thought that Tony Montana was in Hannah Montana and then this daft woman thought the capital of Denmark was Brussels!

Where do they get these thickos from?!:rolleyes:
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Couldn't believe two of the contestants today.

Some guy thought that Tony Montana was in Hannah Montana and then this daft woman thought the capital of Denmark was Brussels!

Where do they get these thickos from?!:rolleyes:

In fairness, David Tennant thought that the capital of Denmark was Bruges on a special edition of Weakest Link. Respected people have gaps in their knowledge as well!
    Forum Member
    I have watched this now (just the first episode). There were a number of really irritating things, but overall, I liked that it predominantly rewarded knowledge rather than simply focussing on format, and not all the questions were stupendously easy (there was a mixture).

The game did have one huge flaw, and that is the order of play in the final. I don't think that it is fair to have one player playing until they get a question wrong, at which point play passes. They should take turns to answer questions, and go to sudden death if they both reach the goal on the same pass. Given that the team with the most players remaining starts anyway, I think it is very likely that the other team won't have a chance to catch up.

I also don't really like bright flashing lights and big music in quizzes - they give me a bit of a headache. I like the calmness of Eggheads and Only Connect, that don't have much of that kind of thing at all. It also really annoys me (and it seems that nearly all quizzes have this nowadays) when they feel the need to have the host ask a computer whether the contestant has got an answer right. Why can't the host just tell them? It's so much more simple.

So, I didn't think it was brilliant, and I will be very glad when the far-superior Perfection comes back, but I didn't hate it, and I thought it was decent enough to watch some more of it. There are many quizzes that are far worse - Break the Safe and Secret Fortune spring to mind.

Just one more thing - I didn't understand if the jackpot is won by the whole team, or just the players that made it to the final. On Eggheads, while I don't think it's ever been officially stated, it is very heavily implied that the eliminated contestants are only out of the final round, and would still get their share of the money should the team win. Does anyone know how it's done on Pressure Pad?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    No originality, same as many other quiz shows. Why not do something great, rather than mediocre?
    Forum Member
    Dessimat0r wrote: »
    No originality, same as many other quiz shows. Why not do something great, rather than mediocre?

I'm not saying that I disagree, but I don't think that quiz shows necessarily need to have originality. I think that producers trying to find an original format has caused the problems with what I call 'too much game, not enough questions'. I'd like to return to the old-school quiz - simple rules, a good number of questions and fast-paced. There are a few shows that do that, and that's the kind that I like. They certainly aren't original, but they are what I - as someone who enjoys quizzes - am looking for.
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    and its not even a pressure pad
  • bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you missed Jonathan Ross...

Pressure Pad
    Forum Member
    bikerlad wrote: »
    In case you missed Jonathan Ross...

Pressure Pad

You could play a drinking game for that! Actually, you could do that for pretty much any quiz show...
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only caught a couple of programs. Its just about preferable to Countdown. Then again I'm not an 80 year old granny with zip up boots.
    Forum Member
    I've only caught a couple of programs. Its just about preferable to Countdown. Then again I'm not an 80 year old granny with zip up boots.

I've got a bit more into it since Episode 1. I'd say it's good enough to keep me following it, but still the worst of all the quizzes I watch. If there's a Series 2, I hope they tone down the music and images, and have a fairer process for the final.

Has anyone else noticed John Barrowman slipping back into his Scottish accent? He has done it a couple of times on the show. Apparently he speaks in a Scottish accent when he's with his family.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Just watched Pressure Pad for the first time and I think it's great. Who is the presenter, he sounds american?
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman, He is Scottish but has a solid American Accent too meaning he often plays Americans on tele or uses it for media purposes as it is easier for everyone not Scottish to understand lol
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Made me laugh yesterday when the announcer said and next we have Perfection :eek: He got the first letter right :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one is ever going to go for that final round jackpot. I think it's because losing £2,000 is what puts them off.
    Forum Member
    No one is ever going to go for that final round jackpot. I think it's because losing £2,000 is what puts them off.

Someone did on the first episode, and they won it.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    That standard of contestant will never go for it. If you think Tim Minchin wrote Evita and Challenger couldn't have been the final space shuttle because it's too old and not because it blew up during launch nearly 30 years ago, safer to take the £2k.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    John Barrowman, He is Scottish but has a solid American Accent too meaning he often plays Americans on tele or uses it for media purposes as it is easier for everyone not Scottish to understand lol

Actually he uses his American accent more than just 'for media purposes'.

He explained it in his autobiography. When his family moved to the US when he was a child he was bullied at school due to his Scottish accent, so he learnt to speak with an American accent. He became the 'all American' kid to blend in, and it became his natural speaking voice in America outside the home (he automatically reverted back to scottish with is parents) .

He still had an American accent when he moved back to the UK in his 20s, and was hired as an American,

But when he is with Scottish people the Scottish accent tends to reappear.

He considers both accents now to be his 'natural accents'

Pressure pad is filmed in Glasgow, hence the difficulty he has not reverting back to scottish during the recording.
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    Is pressure pad a specifically gay quiz show?

I'm asking cos I've only seen it twice and have yet to see a female contestant - also with JB as host and the 2 teams being blue and pink - rather than red, yellow etc - just wondering!
    Forum Member
    Anyone - or does no-one watch it any more?
    Forum Member
    suki c wrote: »
    Is pressure pad a specifically gay quiz show?

I'm asking cos I've only seen it twice and have yet to see a female contestant - also with JB as host and the 2 teams being blue and pink - rather than red, yellow etc - just wondering!

No, it isn't.

I've seen female contestants on it - not as many as male contestants, but that is natural for many quiz shows. I think there are just more men who are interested in quizzes than there are women - Mastermind, for example, usually has three men and one woman in a standard episode, and some even have all men.

I imagine that the team colours are fairly arbitrary, and the fact that the presenter happens to be gay doesn't make a difference. Would you call one of the many quiz shows with Nick Knowles 'straight quiz shows'?
    Forum Member
    No, it isn't.

I've seen female contestants on it - not as many as male contestants, but that is natural for many quiz shows. I think there are just more men who are interested in quizzes than there are women - Mastermind, for example, usually has three men and one woman in a standard episode, and some even have all men.

I imagine that the team colours are fairly arbitrary, and the fact that the presenter happens to be gay doesn't make a difference. Would you call one of the many quiz shows with Nick Knowles 'straight quiz shows'?

No, not at all - this was a genuine question as the guys in the couple of shows I'd seen had definitely upped their 'gayness' and there was a lot of flirting between them & JB - all good fun as far as I'm concerned,

Still think that a 'pink' button is a bit of an odd choice!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contestants had to connect the inventions with the famous people. This dumb woman thought Alexander Graham Bell invented the light bulb!

Good grief, where on earth do they get these people from?! :rolleyes:
  • EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    These people haven't a clue....