Options

Which tablet for my 4 year old?

Comments

• Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's your choice, but why not let them be children and play with toys, which to me seems more important,and not having their nose stocked to a screen?

Playing teaches them social skills
    Then again I am not a parent, so I may be wrong.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    It's your choice, but why not let them be children and play with toys, which to me seems more important,and not having their nose stocked to a screen?

Playing teaches them social skills
    Then again I am not a parent, so I may be wrong.

What makes you think they won't be doing that as well, just because a child has a tablet (a great learning tool by the way) doesn't mean they will have their nose stuck to the screen.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,177
    Forum Member
    My 9 year old has used tablets ever since Apple launched the iPad 1, and since then he's always used some type of device. He more or less has sole use of one of my Macs (with my supervision) and knows his way around it very well; he is very confident using technology which is important imo.

It doesn't mean that he's always sat in front of it though, he does lots of other activities away from the screens. You've got to remember who the parent is...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got my 7 year old a HUDL last year... we had to have it replaced three times due to the charger port becoming really loose (it's a known issue if you look on the internet). I gave up with it in the end and went for a Nexus, which has been great.

I have friends who have had similar problems with tablets and their children. It's not just Hudl but a general problem with cheap USB sockets on devices and kids who try to force the charger in the wrong way. And to be fair many adults do the same too.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 4 year old cousin has grown addicited to iphone games.. its all he wants to do now.. ,, Even trying to go into my pocket to get my phone.. Not a good idea., He even knows about the app store
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Our 2 granddaughters were given kindle fires for Christmas last year. They love them and they have held up really well to the rough and tumble of the girls. When they come to ours they bring their kindles but prefer to go on the computer or my laptop.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linx 7" or Linx 8"
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not buy him some time with you, I'm sure he'd value that a lot more
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This... Do you want your child to be a addict age 4!
  • Options
    gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    Can't decide between a Hudl 2 or a Kindle Fire! Has anyone also looked at either of these or already have them?

Any response is gratefully received!

How about buying your child an age appropriate TOY? Perhaps a nice doll and pushchair for a girl, or a Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Postman Pat, Monsters Inc toys, Cars for a boy. Even better, how about some colouring books, story books, Disney dvd's, scooters, the list is endless. Children are Children for so short a time, they have no need for a Hudl2 or Kindle Fire, save your money and buy your child something he/she will be able to play with, not just sit and look at and not know what to do with it.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Mrstim wrote: »
    My 4 year old has asked for a spell book from Santa - you would not believe how difficult it is to find this, wish she had asked for a tablet, would be easier to find 😁

Hi Mrstim,

I am hoping (fingers crossed) you meant 'spell' as in spelling and also not literally 'from Santa' and carried out a quick Amazon search for 'fun spelling books for 4 year old girl'. Here's what I found -

Galt Toys Home Learning Books Spelling with Reward Stickers (and there's links to a Galt handwriting book on the page): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galt-Learning-Spelling-Reward-Stickers/dp/B000H5V2WS/ref=sr_1_13/279-1722481-1799058?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858221&sr=8-13&keywords=spelling+book

25 Super-Fun Spelling Games (and links to more fun spelling books on the page): http://www.amazon.co.uk/25-Super-Fun-Spelling-Games-Reproducible/dp/0590522116/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858389&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=fun+spelling+book+for+4+year+old+girl

LeapFrog LeapReader Learn to Read Phonics Book Set 1: Short Vowels (and links to other LeapFrog books): http://www.amazon.co.uk/LeapFrog-LeapReader-Learn-Read-Phonics/dp/B001W3MMHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858389&sr=8-1&keywords=fun+spelling+book+for+4+year+old+girl

My First Crossword Puzzle Book (and links to other fun crossword books): http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Crossword-Puzzle-Little-Activity/dp/0486262995/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P8YMFPBN4H3N9365RNN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll end up being smashed.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    It'll end up being smashed.
    Not if the parents lock the booze cabinet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gemsmummy wrote: »
    How about buying your child an age appropriate TOY? Perhaps a nice doll and pushchair for a girl, or a Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Postman Pat, Monsters Inc toys, Cars for a boy.
    Oh dear.
    You forgot the toy hoover and ironing board for the little lady. :(
  • Options
    Sea_saltSea_salt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Give them an Etch-A-Sketch in an iPad box and spend the money you save on books or toys. Sorted.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seems a bit odd buying a 4 year old a tablet. I think at that age I was happy pushing a plastic milk float around the floor and playing shop using pillows as coal sacks :). Still I can see the educational value to the devices but like all things it is a means to an end. By that it is how the device is used and treated. I would sit reading hungry caterpillar book or spot the dog would it really be that much different it is was on a tablet ?

No I don't suppose it would be really. Personally the amazon fire is a little better in quality but has more restrictions on the play market. While the hub 2 feels a cheap product but is more open. In terms of suitability for kids the Hud 2 might be slightly better. The screen is a little bigger and does come with a range of child safety features. I cannot say how good they are as I have not used them but at least they make some effort.
  • Options
    Sea_saltSea_salt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I would sit reading hungry caterpillar book or spot the dog would it really be that much different it is was on a tablet ?

For that particular book it would be especially different.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gemsmummy wrote: »
    How about buying your child an age appropriate TOY? Perhaps a nice doll and pushchair for a girl, or a Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Postman Pat, Monsters Inc toys, Cars for a boy. Even better, how about some colouring books, story books, Disney dvd's, scooters, the list is endless. Children are Children for so short a time, they have no need for a Hudl2 or Kindle Fire, save your money and buy your child something he/she will be able to play with, not just sit and look at and not know what to do with it.

And what makes you think that they may not be getting any of the things above you mentioned...I mean really when was the last time a child only got one present at Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi Mrstim,

I am hoping (fingers crossed) you meant 'spell' as in spelling and also not literally 'from Santa' and carried out a quick Amazon search for 'fun spelling books for 4 year old girl'. Here's what I found -

Galt Toys Home Learning Books Spelling with Reward Stickers (and there's links to a Galt handwriting book on the page): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galt-Learning-Spelling-Reward-Stickers/dp/B000H5V2WS/ref=sr_1_13/279-1722481-1799058?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858221&sr=8-13&keywords=spelling+book

25 Super-Fun Spelling Games (and links to more fun spelling books on the page): http://www.amazon.co.uk/25-Super-Fun-Spelling-Games-Reproducible/dp/0590522116/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858389&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=fun+spelling+book+for+4+year+old+girl

LeapFrog LeapReader Learn to Read Phonics Book Set 1: Short Vowels (and links to other LeapFrog books): http://www.amazon.co.uk/LeapFrog-LeapReader-Learn-Read-Phonics/dp/B001W3MMHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418858389&sr=8-1&keywords=fun+spelling+book+for+4+year+old+girl

My First Crossword Puzzle Book (and links to other fun crossword books): http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Crossword-Puzzle-Little-Activity/dp/0486262995/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P8YMFPBN4H3N9365RNN

No lol, she wants a book of spells and a magic wand . The magic wand was easy to find - Harry potter . All the spell books I've found are for people who actually want to be a white witch etc, nothing really age appropriate. I think I'm going to have to make one now tbh.
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well im a luddite then never been called that before haha

i still say let kids be kids they grow up far too soon nowadays!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    well im a luddite then never been called that before haha

i still say let kids be kids they grow up far too soon nowadays!

They're still kids even though they are playing with an electronic gizmo rather than some wooden toys. Mine don't sit there perusing spreadsheets and looking at the stock market apps. For example, they love to take hilariously bad photos and videos of themselves dancing and being silly then watching them back in fits of hysterics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    They're still kids even though they are playing with an electronic gizmo rather than some wooden toys. Mine don't sit there perusing spreadsheets and looking at the stock market apps. For example, they love to take hilariously bad photos and videos of themselves dancing and being silly then watching them back in fits of hysterics.
    Have they tried "Elf yourself"?
    If not, check it out, it's hilarious.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »

That gave me a proper belly laugh. :D

It would be nice if people could take a few minutes to check out the kinds of apps that are available for children before making idiotic comments like 'let kids be kids'. I've no doubt that those who are against tablets are perfectly happy to sit their kids down with a Frozen DVD for a couple of hours. Nothing wrong with that either, as far as I'm concerned, but zero interactivity and creativity involved, unlike playing with a tablet.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Personally i think 4 is too young for their own tablet. All they want to do is play games on it and they can do that on our phones/tablets, where you can keep much better control of what they are doing.

My son did get a leappad tablet at 5 (from a grandparent, not us) and that's more appropriate i think. I wouldn't advise one though as the software is a massive rip-off.

He is 6 now and getting a wii u this christmas with various party/family games we can all play together.

Edit: My wifes tablet is a kindle fire. Its very simple to use and my son could use it with help from 4, if you do decide to go down that route.
  • Options
    MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point of a toy is to amuse a child, to get them to use their imagination, to turn something static into something alive. I can see the educational benefit of a tablet but I really think that kids are better off using their imagination with toys, something that the tablet just doesn't afford. There is plenty of time in their lives to get them hooked onto gadgets, im just not sure that 4 is the best age when their imagination is most fertile.