E4 to be suspended during daytime on May 7

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Channel 4 will suspend broadcasting E4 on the day of the general election from 7am to 7pm (according to the Guardian) in order to encourage the under 25s to get out and vote. Surely this group of voters have already located the channel change button on the remote control? If not, will they actually be able to find their way to the voting station and back? :D

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/22/channel-4-e4-general-election-youth-vote

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this a joke?
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    is this a joke?

Well, the BBC did once reschedule Steptoe & Sun from peak time to 9pm (after polls closed) on the night that Harold Wilson's government got elected. Wilson was worried that too many typical Labour voters would prefer to stay in than go out again after work to vote and persuaded the Beeb to move it...
  • goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All channels should broadcast classical music. That should be disturbing enough for the pop benighted to get them out.:D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like channel 4 is the only channel they can watch?
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like a publicity stunt and nothing else as how many viewers will they get on a thursday during those times?
  • galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the banana republic dictatorship, that when El Presidente is on Channel 1, Channel 2 has a guy with a gun saying "switch back to Channel 1..." :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If an under 25 has decided that he/she can't be arsed to vote, I doubt E4 being off air is going to change their mind.

Perhaps if they produced a voting app then they might stand some chance of a vote being cast.
  • mchadwickmchadwick Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    What are they going to show on E4+1?
    ;-)
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    sounds like a publicity stunt and nothing else

Of course it is. Why else would they announce it if only to publicise themselves?

As this is a 7am to 7pm only thing I cannot imagine too many being put out.
  • omar comerfordomar comerford Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is. Why else would they announce it if only to publicise themselves?

As this is a 7am to 7pm only thing I cannot imagine too many being put out.

I wonder if e4 will be available in Ireland on UK Election Day???
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Perhaps if they produced a voting app then they might stand some chance of a vote being cast.
    Or several. Per person :)
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if there is any footage of the closedown on the web?

I'm particularly interested in seeing the Testcard spoof.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭